WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modding the Lee Classic Cast for leverage

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    What is the dia of the ram ?? It might be a nice upgrade to simply make a new one from solid turned/ground/polished stressproof .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Lee web site says the diameter of the ram is 1 1/8th inch.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    What is the dia of the ram ?? It might be a nice upgrade to simply make a new one from solid turned/ground/polished stressproof .

Bill
    Why? A number of members are swaging bullets with the modified press and the factory ram with no problems.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Why? A number of members are swaging bullets with the modified press and the factory ram with no problems.
    WHY ?? Well it would be one solution to getting the top of the ram closer to the top of the press for uses other than swaging bullets ? Plus it might be a nice enhancement in a general way, thats why . I'd like a press with more oomph for some other uses.

This situation was brought up in post #10, and my proposition is one solution to that.
    I see, excellent explanation. I have a couple ideas to bring it back to original height but I won't be able to judge which is best until the dust settles from this part of the project.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    IS this standard 1 inch center to center measurement?

Or one inch from edge of current hole to center of new hole?

Or just make it even, and leave plenty of space so the bolt doesn't hit the ram?

Thank you, gonna use the mill at work tonight to get this done before my dies sow up.
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Buddy
    I see this is back to top. I've since bought another set of links from LEE and positioned the new pivot pin holes for sizing tough military rifle brass. Links for swaging and links for sizing, they are cheap. Loading goes back to the original pin holes or off to the LNL progressive. Also for those looking to extend their ram Hornady makes a shell plate extender.

Great thread, I just want to watch.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    Great thread, I just want to watch.
    I know it's old but I want to keep this handy.

Boolit Grand Master

Extremely helpful thread
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

need to keep this close to the top
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Why can’t you just add a longer and maybe stronger handle ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    WHY ?? Well it would be one solution to getting the top of the ram closer to the top of the press for uses other than swaging bullets ? Plus it might be a nice enhancement in a general way, thats why . I'd like a press with more oomph for some other uses.

This situation was brought up in post #10, and my proposition is one solution to that.
    Here you go, extended shell holder = longer ram:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...ed-shellholder.
    A toggle's highest mechanical advantage is when all 3 pins are in a straight line, some call it cam over.
    jmo,

Boolit Master
    If you put too much load on the ram,the slots for the shellholder will bend ........if the slots are supported by an extender ,it may be very difficult to remove.........the mod I would do is to put a through pin in place of the small side pins on the links............I havent researched this,but it may be possible to simply press out the pins,leaving a hole...............If you make replacement rockers ,then a hole it will be.....If you have a mill,make up a one piece rocker unit,like some other presses..................however ,I must say,since I got the turret,my classic is occupied by several spiders looking for a quiet spot.........only little ones,arachnaphobics.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Del-Ray View Post
    IS this standard 1 inch center to center measurement?

Or one inch from edge of current hole to center of new hole?

Or just make it even, and leave plenty of space so the bolt doesn't hit the ram?

Thank you, gonna use the mill at work tonight to get this done before my dies sow up.

this pic (from post #19) shows that the new hole needs to be positioned so the cross pin doesn't hit the bottom of the ram
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    OLD thread, I know, but wanted to say thanks, as it is helping me with a similar project I had in mind.

I have an early 2000's Rock Chucker II, but hate the "fix" leverage, which for some operations doesn't work well, specially some cast bullet sizing using NOE's die (with the inserts) - in those cases I don't have enough leverage since the sizing area happens not towards the end of the stroke, but somewhere in the middle

I knew that Lee's adjustable arm could help, but I wanted even more mechanical advantage. I understand that gaining mechanical advantage affects ram travel and/or range (there is always a compromise), but since I have my Mega Press for most things, so I am ok having less travel with a manual press if I can gain mechanical advantage "and" handle adjustability. This thread gave me all I need to work on this project, so I recently won a $115/shipped, brand new Lee classic cast press which I will "modify" before I even mount it once

Boolit Master
    GONRA's "Lee Classic Cast Press 90998" is a "dedicated range brass case prep tool": "Mostly use RCBS Small Base Full Length Resizing Dies".
    ALWAYS use STP Oil Treatment or Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease for a Case Lube
    1200 + .223 Remington cases
    900 + .308 Winchester cases
    982 + .30-06 SPFD cases
    Large, powerful Lee press to is really excellent for case prep!

Boolit Buddy
    Here is my modified Lee. I did both the new hole in the links attached to the handle, but also on the two links attached to the press body (per BT Spniper's recommendation) to retain the same top position for ram travel. Of course the high leverage comes at the expense of the lower total ram travel, but looking forward to using it soon:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_140444.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	251559

Name:	20191117_140454.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	251560

And by the way, my Lee must be newer manufacture as it did NOT have one of the knurled hardened pins drill through like stated earlier in the thread. Yes, that meant I had to drive them "through" the press to get them out:

Name:	20191116_142847.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	251561

Will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12