Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP mold build success!

Boolit Man
    Excellent job on the mould, your craftsmanship speaks volumes, and I love the big hollow point.

Let us know if you ever decide to put these into production.

Max
    Max

Whenever asked I used to tell folks that casting boolits wasn't rocket science... I have since been proven wrong.

Boolit Master
    Thats some nice work, much more so for a prototype!

Banned

See, you don't need no steeingking vent lines on the block faces! Some under the sprue plate sure are nice though. Lemme give you a hint about function here: Use Permatex Ultra caliper slide grease on the inset bar and sliding rods, that will keep them going together better. Tolerances of course are key, too. If you flip the mould over after you cut the sprue, before you open the blocks, trash doesn't get down in the works as easily with these types of moulds.

Gear

Super Moderator

..............Looks very nice. A job well done. So long as ou're only making them for yourself the tme element is no big and gets chalked up to edjumakashun

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Tim, I'm impressed. Best wishes for your continued success and I'll be ratholing some money for your first group buy!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

If you flip the mould over after you cut the sprue, before you open the blocks, trash doesn't get down in the works as easily with these types of moulds.
    I did flip the mold over, but somehow I still got a speck of crud in there.
    So long as ou're only making them for yourself the tme element is no big and gets chalked up to edjumakashun
    This one took a minute or two. I dont know if I could even make minimum wage on these if they take as long as this one did. However, machining is about finding tricks, and making tools to get you where you are going quickly. We'll see how long it takes me next time. You dont want to race me in a machine shop.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

This is the only boolit I recovered from the berm. I believe that it lost some of its mushroom on account of the berm having a lot of other boolits and a few rocks.
    Still, I am pretty impressed! The same weight boolit made of the same alloy driven at the same speed in a RN design usually just gets part of the nose smeared a little.

Like I said, I wanted the base to retain some mass. I use my pistol boolits in a sabot in my muzzle loader for hunting deer, so this is intended to be a dual purpose SD/hunting boolit.
    I'm glad everybody likes it.

Boolit Master

I like the way you have the HP setup. Where is he rule stating we have to stop at 4 cavities? Why don't you run it on out to 6 or 8 cavities next time.
    At one with the gun.

Super Moderator

..............Whose fingers did you use in those photo's? Those aren't machinists, nor mechanisc's fingers Heck in our wedding photo's closeups of us cutting the cake I had dirty fingernails

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

I have a stunt double who takes care of all the realy grimey jobs on nasty machinery.
    I work in an aerospace company and the floor in the shop is cleaner than my wife's kitchen. Heck, we have to dress up in ESD suits to work on some jobs. Kind of putts the kibosh on a lot of that greasy machine shop stuff.
    That, and I wash a lot with Goop.

Boolit Bub
    You keep referring to the next time you make a mould. Does that mean I can buy this one to help fund the next one?

Looks very nice. Wish I had the skill.

Banned

I cranked wrenches for 20 years, always had clean fingernails and hands when I left work for the day, even after fixing many a miserable oil leak on nasty old diesel trucks. Getting soot stain out takes some special techniques, but mainly a bit of patience, and some of the soy-based cleaners with walnut grit and a small, nylon scrub brush can make old grimy mechanic's hands look baby-pink. Hard to disguise the cuts, scrapes, and bruises, though, they don't wash off so easily!

The other trick is good quality blue nitrile gloves.

Gear

Boolit Master
    awesome! great work.

Banned
    That is nice. I'd love to get my Lee .457-340-F modified to be an HP mold. I only use these for my muzzleloader bullets, but, I'm not confident enough to drill a hole in a $35.00 mold.

Aww,come on now,you can do it.There are Bubba's out there that could do it with their Dremel
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.