Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loadmaster

Boolit Bub

Lee Loadmaster

How good/bad is this press? Have Heard more negitive reports then positive.

Joe

Boolit Master

I love mine, don't like the priming on them though.

Boolit Master

I had two of them, operative word HAD. Couldn't for the life of me get the priming figured out. Lots of folks have them and love them, they just weren't for me.

Boolit Mold
    Check out this site:
    http://loadmastervideos.com/

Boolit Mold
    Love mine, it runs like a top. Though I imagine if the timing got off even a little bit it would be a nightmare

Boolit Master

people tell me make sure you have a sizing die in station 2 then priming works like a champ. So the case is 100% perfectly aligned with the plunger.

I've been thinking about them for no other reason than the inexpensive case feeder. Brilliant idea for those of us who don't care to spend $300 on JUST a case feeder!

Boolit Mold
    Works great, you have to learn how to use it though. It's not hard to figure out if you are interested. It takes time and patience to reload. The videos on YouTube are very helpful. The instructions on how to run the press from Lee are okay, but watching a video is much easier. It gets easier once you start using the press.

I made my small case feeder into a large case feeder by making a single hole feeder out of wood. I just install one tube of empty cases at a time. Works great. So what that I can't just rotate another tube full of cases. I simply just put another tube in.

Banned

had one and its long gone. If anything i had more trouble with it then the pro1000s. Mostly primer problems.

Boolit Master
    Primer systems does not work!!!!

After a while the indexings system stops working. Case feeder needs treaking to work. Knob fell off.
    I should have spent the extra $150 and got a Dillon 550B.

Boolit Master
    IMHO they are junk. This is not true for most of Lee's stuff, but it is for that press.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Bub
    I have been using one for about 12 years. I do not prime on it. I size the brass and prime by hand and store the brass, later loading them at a good rate. Every couple of years, the timing gets off and has to be adjusted, no big thing. A couple of parts wear, but they are cheap.

I reload 10 different cartridges on it, very easy to switch .

Boolit Master
    I have two. The priming system has been upgraded. it takes a little tinkering to make them hum. If you can't turn a screwdriver, it may not be for you.

Boolit Master
    Hi Zomby,
    I'm just curious what you did to get the priming system going? I saw where a guy attached the vibrators from an old cell phone to the off side of the primer track!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    I have two. The priming system has been upgraded. it takes a little tinkering to make them hum. If you can't turn a screwdriver, it may not be for you.
    Takes a little more than a PHD in screwdriver to get it to hum and keep it there. Over on Loadmasters website their number one complaint or trouble with the press is the priming system.

Banned

Problem with that is that if you have to run them through twice you might as well use a turent press.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayc384 View Post
    I have been using one for about 12 years. I do not prime on it. I size the brass and prime by hand and store the brass, later loading them at a good rate. Every couple of years, the timing gets off and has to be adjusted, no big thing. A couple of parts wear, but they are cheap.

I reload 10 different cartridges on it, very easy to switch .

Boolit Bub
    Well, when I tried to prime on the press, I could average from 1 to 100 an hour before failures. By doing the two passes, when doing the final pass I can average 200-300 per hour, plus I do not have to handle the brass cases.

It was the cheaper solution at the time. I already had a turrent press, but it ate up time handling primers, cases and bullets.

Boolit Bub
    I was looking at a loadmaster but decided to spend the extra $ and get a Hornady lock n load ap. I am still waiting for it to show up.

Boolit Master
    I have had mine since they 1st came out (19 or 20 years ago)! Had a few growing pains at 1st and like any progressive the learning curve is steep. Now it's a trusted old friend that only loads 45 ACP, .38/.357 and .32 Mag!
    I actually think it's loads of fun to operate (pun intended). I really do not see replacing it with anything else when you consider the bang for the buck factor. I think the case collator and bullet feeder are pure genius and both cost under 30 bucks.
    Most of people have lots of opinion and prejudices about Lee equipment, is it a Hornady or a Dillion no, can it hold it's own yes..

Personally, I'd suggest a Pro 1000 for the handgun rounds and a Classic Turret Press for the rifle rounds. The Pro 1000 gives you the progressive speed without the Loadmaster's added complexity, and the Classic Turret Press will reload anything short of the .50 BMG family, while still giving you decent speed and major ease of use/maintenance.

Personally, I wish Lee would take the 4-station Classic Turret Press and make a "Classic Pro 1000" version of it. That would totally rock.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Problem with that is that if you have to run them through twice you might as well use a turent press.
    No case feeder on the turret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast