RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Zinc gas checks??

Boolit Master

Zinc gas checks??

I found this on line, It sounds kinda spookie with zink and lead together??.

""Zinc is a metal with a high lubricity factor. When used as a gas check it will give the bore a mirrow finish after it has "sheradized" the bore. This is a 1-3 mil maximum coating of zinc that reduces friction, and lead fouling thus improving accuracy. You can than push soft lead faster and not see a problem with fouling. A shorter barrel sherardizes with less shots than a long barrel. Well addapted to pistols. These Swage-It Zinc Gas Checks are pure zinc. If you can buy zinc gaschecks for less beware that they are not really pure. Your bore will know that the additional refining cost are wotrth it.""
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I still don't understand why beer can aluminum gas checks won't work.

Zinc gas checks were developed by Jim Harvey back in the 1950s and they work just fine, if you can find a reliable source of them. He used zinc washers and cast the bullet right through the hole in the middle. From what I understand, best accuracy isn't obtained until you have the bore well-conditioned with zinc (I've heard it takes about 50 rounds or so). Harvey made some extravagant claims about velocities, etc.

Yes, aluminum beer can GCs also work just fine. They're called "Free-checks". I have a tool that was given to me by Jim Taylor several years ago to make .35 caliber GCs from aluminum cans. I'm not sure who made it, but it might have been marketed by The Hanned Line. It's a little slow, but it works well.
    Glen

Smile

Yeah, it was The Hanned Line.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Zinc gas checks work well in conjunction with lead boolits because the lead and zinc will not stick to each other. This is the basis of the 140-year old Parkes Process used for refining silver where the silver is dissolved out of the ore with a large amount of molten lead and then zinc is added to the melt. The silver and zinc leave the lead behind and float on top of it in the melt and are skimmed off like cream off of milk. Next the zinc is simply distilled out of the silver (and recovered to use over again) since zinc has one of the lowest boiling points of all of the common metals. The Sherardizing Process works because the zinc vaporizes so easily and deposits on the cooler surfaces of the parts being coated.

So, zinc will work fine as a barrel conditioner for lead boolits, just don't get any zinc checks into your boolit melt since it will alloy with the tin and antimony also in the boolit metal and ruin its castability. It can be boiled out like in the Parkes Process, but at the comparatively high temperature necessary for its removal the tin and antimony will oxidize out of the alloy plus it will produce a large amount of highly toxic antimony vapors (chemically, antimony is arsenic's not-so-little brother).

Zinc should be easy to remove from a barrel since it is also easily dissolved the same way as copper by any strong ammonia barrel cleaning solution. Unlike copper, it can also be removed with non-ammoniacal alkaline solutions like lye, TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate), or the various TSP substitutes consisting of sodium sesqui-carbonate (trona salt), sodium carbonate (soda ash), and sodium meta-silicate (water glass).
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master
    Great info! I just realized these are for swedging........Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by buck1 View Post
    Great info! I just realized these are for swedging........Buck

Buck;
    Well, guess its too late for me to tell you that. How 'bout this? C&H once sold swedging dies for those washers. Though I am sure they are still in business I do not know their address. I have used their bullet swedging dies in .44 and .357 for many years and they are great.
    You might try and find an address for them. And, if you can find it, you might also sent it to me!
    PPpastordon
    pastordon.wordpress.com
    "And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Cor. 8:2, NKJV

Super Moderator

http://www.ch4d.com/

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Just in case anyone is intrested I found them on Ebay , this seller also has swedging dies for standard presses. I have never delt with them but heres the link...........Buck

http://cgi.ebay.com/44-Caliber-Pure-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by PPpastordon View Post
    Buck;
    Well, guess its too late for me to tell you that. How 'bout this? C&H once sold swedging dies for those washers. Though I am sure they are still in business I do not know their address. I have used their bullet swedging dies in .44 and .357 for many years and they are great.
    You might try and find an address for them. And, if you can find it, you might also sent it to me!

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    http://www.ch4d.com/

...........Buckshot
    Buckshot;
    THANKS! I am suddenly feeling a sharp strain in my wallet. But under these circumstances that is a good thing.
    PPpastordon
    pastordon.wordpress.com
    "And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Cor. 8:2, NKJV

Boolit Buddy

remember the copper bands ???

Someone made copper bands for popular calibers that you put in a hot mould just before you closed it and filled with your favorite alloy. I guess you did so with needle nosed pliers or something.
    Just noticed the user name of PPpastordon, so am wondering how many pastors, deacons, and church people are cast boolit members. Even Christian boolits from Alaska!!! No wonder we don't have cuss fights like so many shooting forums do. AR15.com was too much for me. WHEW!!! It could get rowdy on that one. Preacher

Preacher;
    Many years ago I was surprised at the number of Christians on many sites. Today I just take it for granted that many will be Christian and quite a few are Preachers.
    I imagine there are a few silent ones out there. I noticed you "joined" this site before me, but don't have a great number of posts. I am not sure I posted at all until just a few months ago.
    I noticed those Christian boolits from Alaska. Haven't I seen Creeker post here? A fine Christian man who once cast some of the finest boolits available - all the way from beautiful West Virginia.
    Hope to see more responding to your "wondering!"
    PPpastordon
    pastordon.wordpress.com

Been a Pastor bi-vocational for 18 years. Also a Auto Cad drafter for a contruction company.