Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do I like the SMLE No.1 MKIII?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CZFAN View Post
    Thanks Gunner, I did find this site HERE for a replacement but the forstock thats on it now it's cracked really bad right under the rec.
    But it is a nice SHTLE.
    Those look decent, and probably solid, and show enough aging to fit in with the butt stock as it is.

You can probably find cheaper DP fore ends, but how good they would clean up is a craphoot.

The only objection I'd have to using one of those at that site is that they have the later version stirup rather than the WW1 era correct cross pin.

Those look to be from Indian DP rifles.

Doesn't look like anyone makes aftermarket stocks.

A couple of these, a couple K-31's and a few Garand's should complete my cast bullet assemble.

Back up for the new guys.

Doesn't look like anyone makes aftermarket stocks.
    Ah but they do. In plastic! The butt piece is fine but the fore-end is rather heavy. I have one such on my SMLE actioned 303/25 sporter. I dumped the fore-end and fitted a nice sporterized wood fore-end which was much lighter.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Ah but they do. In plastic! The butt piece is fine but the fore-end is rather heavy. I have one such on my SMLE actioned 303/25 sporter. I dumped the fore-end and fitted a nice sporterized wood fore-end which was much lighter.
    Bad wording on my part. I should have said wood replacement stock but thanks.

Well, that's a much prettier SMLE than mine but does your SMLE hunt enormous mice?

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Well, that's a much prettier SMLE than mine but does your SMLE hunt enormous mice?

I wish I had one Jeff.
    That's almost as big a rat infestation central CA has. Only theirs are bigger!

I recently restocked an SMLE with new teak timber which was made in Vietnam. The 1915 vintage rifle belonged to my father-in-law and I did it up as something to pass on to the family!

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 04-21-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Love Life
    Very nice Bad *** Wallace.

What model sights are shown in the picture with that Teaky Mk111 ?

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Duke, I was the one who posted regarding the 303 case necked up to 375 with no other changes. Looked for a long time on different forums and the folks on nitroexpress.com finally came through with a copy of the case necked up to 375. The cartridge is called the 37 rimmed and is simply the 303 case necked up to 375. Does have a slight shoulder but since it's a rimmed case shouldn't make much difference. Found a semi turned down 375 barrel blank and at present figuring out a barrel style that would look good on a chopped up #5 receiver. Receiver was in poor shape with much pitting and looks to have been drug down the road behind a truck. Got all that fixed with many hours of stoning and silicon carbide paper. The front guard screw hole is buggered up and will hopefully be able to cobble up a new screw after I fix the hole. If you want send me your addy and I'll send a copy of the print. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Duke, I was the one who posted regarding the 303 case necked up to 375 with no other changes. Looked for a long time on different forums and the folks on nitroexpress.com finally came through with a copy of the case necked up to 375. The cartridge is called the 37 rimmed and is simply the 303 case necked up to 375. Does have a slight shoulder but since it's a rimmed case shouldn't make much difference. Found a semi turned down 375 barrel blank and at present figuring out a barrel style that would look good on a chopped up #5 receiver. Receiver was in poor shape with much pitting and looks to have been drug down the road behind a truck. Got all that fixed with many hours of stoning and silicon carbide paper. The front guard screw hole is buggered up and will hopefully be able to cobble up a new screw after I fix the hole. If you want send me your addy and I'll send a copy of the print. Frank
    I just saw this. Am I too late for your offer sir?

Boolit Master
    Duke, just saw this thread, drop me a pm with your address and I'll mail you a copy. If you have a enfield JES reboring can rebore your rifle to 375. Frank

Boolit Master
    I don't think the Brits did themselves any favors with their version of the Lee Rifle.
    Here is one of Lee's other designs with both front and rear locking lugs. Belt and suspenders

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem Lee Top action open.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	152731
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    EDG,
    The 1899 Remington Lee commercial rifle may have had front locking lugs as well as rear but it also had it's own deficiencies too.
    Two of which are:
    -They were an expensive rifle because of precision machine work for the front rear lugs.
    -The receive had no recoil lug. Because stocks were thin around the magazine they had a tendency to crack.

By far the British Lee rifles were of greater success...
    That said, I'd not turn down an 1899 Remington Lee even with a cracked stock!

Last edited by tbx-4; 11-07-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    It always makes me laugh when I read or hear about the ''problems'' Lee Enfields have,for a rifle that served in the Boar war,First World War,Second World War,Korea,Malaysia,Afghanistan,Middle East,the Sub Continent,Falklands and pretty much everywhere else there is fighting continuously for over a century I wouldn't mind having some of it's ''problems'' myself. Pat

Boolit Master
    Sure it had problems. They had to keep changing it, gave it a huge chamber because it easily got full of mud, the magazine was not readily adaptable to a more modern cartridge, it was a transition design between black power and smokless and it was not very rigid.
    Sure it was used all over. But so was that crummy Brodie helmet. The Brits were too poor and too cheap to adopt a better rifle.
    The US was using the M1 Garand rifle while the tommies were dragging the old bolt guns around.

BTW the Brits got their pants shot off by the Boer farmers and started looking for another rifle when they were interrupted by WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    It always makes me laugh when I read or hear about the ''problems'' Lee Enfields have,for a rifle that served in the Boar war,First World War,Second World War,Korea,Malaysia,Afghanistan,Middle East,the Sub Continent,Falklands and pretty much everywhere else there is fighting continuously for over a century I wouldn't mind having some of it's ''problems'' myself. Pat
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Great reply,complete rubbish but yeh. Pat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast