WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout - Ruger Magazine vs Alpha Industries Type II Magazine

Boolit Bub

Ruger Gunsite Scout - Ruger Magazine vs Alpha Industries Type II Magazine

Well I was upset that nobody on any of the forums online could show how much better the Alpha Industries Type II Magazine were vs the factory Ruger steel magazines for the Gunsite Scout so I decided to do the only logical thing, buy some Alpha mags and try them out myself.

Conclusion: Ruger should have made these be the stock mags they ship with the RGS. Gonna be buying more for myself.

Ruger Gunsite Scout - Ruger Magazine vs Alpha Industries Type II Magazine

Hope you find the video useful. I bought the GRS with the intent of running cast through it and I figure I'm not going to be the only one. Getting a Thompson Machine THIRTY can for it as well.

I don't know where you guys got this from but The Alpha mags (the ones shown in the video) are NOT the new stock mags. These polymer mags (see pic) are the stock mags now, as soon as all the steel ones are gone. Was told this by the engineer at the SHOT Show in Feb. Ruger bought 5000 of them so I think they are serious.

Are these just another brand of steel magazine for the AI platform? Are they cheaper than $40.00?

I have reported extensively on the new mags on the Ruger Gunsite thread just below this one. They work far better than the steel ones do, but Ruger had to start somewhere. They come in 3,5,and 10 rounds versions and include covers.

I was a Beta tester for the new mags. Here's a pic of them and they are for sale at Ruger.com $39.95 each.

PS: Crosshair, sorry but you have the manual dexterity of a goat! IF you just would push the rim of the preceeding cartridge down with your thumb while inserting the new round everything would go much easier, and the technique works for any of these magazines. I can load my stock 10 rnd mags in 15 seconds! with or with out a flat surface or my leg to sit it on. The pic shows my hand holding a stock 10 round steel mag with the last round held down with my thumb and the next round partially in the mag. I had to hold the camera with the other hand so I had to start the last round for the pic. You can push the round in the mag far enough down with your thumb that the next round doesn't even touch the feed lips as it is pushed in.IE: it falls in! All of the existing mags available are easier to load than the original 10 rnd AI mags, in other words, the one in the pic is the hardest one to load there is, and I still can load it easily in 15 seconds.

The reason the plastic mags are easier to load is because the springs are lighter and the feed lips are smoother and have more lubricity than the metal ones do. They also make the gun feed much easier. Easily 50% of the effort needed to run a steel mag.

Sorry for the tone of this post but with todays technology you can't just sit in the dark and assume that what you are doing is the only way. I bet there are people out there who can run these older mags faster than I can. This is why we go to schools like Front Sight to learn how to run our guns, the more people you are around the better you get. Your video was fine, but it didn't have the intended impact on me that I think you were trying to convey, and the reason why is I already know better.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-02-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    If you have to use two hands to get a cartridge in a mag,,,,,. The stock mag should have been a no-go. WBR would have never let it go out.

BTW-Cat has my socks? Awesome.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I don't know where you guys got this from but The Alpha mags (the ones shown in the video) are NOT the new stock mags.
    Where did I say they were? I simply said that they SHOULD have been the factory metal mag when they first came out.

These polymer mags (see pic) are the stock mags now, as soon as all the steel ones are gone. Was told this by the engineer at the SHOT Show in Feb. Ruger bought 5000 of them so I think they are serious.
    Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know that.

Are these just another brand of steel magazine for the AI platform? Are they cheaper than $40.00?
    Yea, they are another brand that people were saying was a big improvement over the factory steel mags on other forums.

I have reported extensively on the new mags on the Ruger Gunsite thread just below this one. They work far better than the steel ones do, but Ruger had to start somewhere. They come in 3,5,and 10 rounds versions and include covers.
    and my video is for people who don't want polymer mags. I have also been under the impression that Ruger would continue to offer the metal mag as the factory mag with the polymer mags as an additional option. I may have gotten old/bad information.

I was a Beta tester for the new mags. Here's a pic of them and they are for sale at Ruger.com $39.95 each.
    That's all fine and good, but some of us don't want polymer mags. I mention that specifically at the end of the video.

PS: Crosshair, sorry but you have the manual dexterity of a goat! IF you just would push the rim of the preceeding cartridge down with your thumb while inserting the new round everything would go much easier, and the technique works for any of these magazines.
    I was exaggerating the problem for demonstration purposes and tried to be equally bad for the Alpha mag. I did a speed run next. Did you watch the whole video?

Besides that I had to hold the magazine way far out to get around the tripod and camera. Under those conditions the Ruger mag is simply more awkward to load. I never expected this to be an end all comparison, just a test of relativity between the two that I decided to do as a break from cleaning up my basement.

I can load my stock 10 rnd mags in 15 seconds! with or with out a flat surface or my leg to sit it on. The pic shows my hand holding a stock 10 round steel mag with the last round held down with my thumb and the next round partially in the mag. I had to hold the camera with the other hand so I had to start the last round for the pic. You can push the round in the mag far enough down with your thumb that the next round doesn't even touch the feed lips as it is pushed in.IE: it falls in! All of the existing mags available are easier to load than the original 10 rnd AI mags, in other words, the one in the pic is the hardest one to load there is, and I still can load it easily in 15 seconds.
    So you are agreeing with me then that the metal factory mag is needlessly hard to load. Your only major complaint is that I am not as good as you in loading magazines. I'll admit that, that's why I buy more magazines. My main purpose was to use the metal Ruger mag as a benchmark for comparison. I'm ham fisted with the Ruger mags and slightly less ham fisted with the Alpha mags thanks to what I perceive to be their better design.

The reason the plastic mags are easier to load is because the springs are lighter and the feed lips are smoother and have more lubricity than the metal ones do. They also make the gun feed much easier. Easily 50% of the effort needed to run a steel mag.
    That's all fine and good, but some of us don't want polymer mags.

Sorry for the tone of this post but with todays technology you can't just sit in the dark and assume that what you are doing is the only way.
    Where did I say that? The purpose of my video was for people who don't want polymer mags, but want an alternative to the factory metal ones. The Alpha mags have been brought up elsewhere as such an alternative but I have never seen a video comparison. So since I had bought some I finally decided to make one.

I bet there are people out there who can run these older mags faster than I can. This is why we go to schools like Front Sight to learn how to run our guns, the more people you are around the better you get. Your video was fine, but it didn't have the intended impact on me that I think you were trying to convey, and the reason why is I already know better.

Randy
    So you're complaining about me claiming that metal mags are the only way for the RGS, something I never said or implied but that you created. Then in almost the same breath are talking about how polymer mags are the only way because you shoot at fancier ranges than I do?

Look, all my video was for is people like me who don't want polymer mags, but want something better than the Ruger metal mag. I never said that the polymer mags were poo, just that some people would rather have metal. Just like how some people would rather have a Ford instead of a GM. You want polymer mags, you'll buy polymer mags. I want metal mags, I'll buy metal mags. You want a scout scope on your RGS, I want a red dot. You want a muzzle brake on the end, I want a suppressor. We both buy what we want and go on our merry way.

And that is the beauty of America You can buy what ever you want.

I guess I just took exception to your assertion that the stock mags were that bad. They aren't. I have a 10 rnd and 2, 5 rnds. I rarely use the 10 round one but it's not becasue it is hard to load, it's just not as easy as the 10 rnd Poly mags. Your new mags fall somewhere in between.

I will admit to having read more into you video/post than you may have intended, however I would also point out that many of your points in retort were just as far off base as my original comments.

I think neither one of us fully understood what the other was saying.

Maybe we should just stop.

PS: I just watched your Savage 340 video with the bullet traces. Now that was cool! I understood everything about it!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

I have all three types of these magazines, some in ten, five , and three round capacities. The Ruger AI mag has never failed and is built like a tank with the five round version my favorite while hunting, at least until I acquired a polymer three round magazine. The Alpha Inds mag has been very reliable as well with the advantage of having a lower profile than the Ruger and also seems to feed a bit smoother. The five and ten round polymer mags initially had some feeding issues. The bolt would slide up over the cartridge rim and lock the action up. The three round polymer mag (now my favorite for hunting) fed reliably and smooth as silk from the start and it fits pretty much flush with the receiver. Ruger has taken care of the feeding issues with the polymer mags thanks to quite a few people smarter than I, Including Randy, who was one of their initial testers. I surfed the net and managed to fix my polymer mags myself with a little judicious use of a file. If you have one that doesn’t feed, Ruger will replace it no charge.

Right now, I prefer the polymer mags due to the lighter weight and smoother feed and also they will allow a little longer bullet if you reload. The polymer mags are also easier for me to load (arthritis is taking it’s toll with my hands and I had made a loading tool to help me load the Ruger AI and Alpha mags) and you can also load rounds into the polymer mags without removing them from the gun. I’m not too sure how much good that is, but, for some reason, it comforts me to know I can.

I must say, I have not been gentle with my rifle or the mags, with over 1000 rounds downrange, dozens of hunting trips, and several tactical rifle matches, I feel this is one of the best designs to come out of Ruger (rifle wise) in quite a few years.
    It is time for the taxpayers in this country to impose term limits at the ballot box. Vote all encumbents out every election, no matter which party. It is time they remember who they work for and who pays the bills.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the polymer mags here. I have the Ruger metal mags in 10 (eleven actually) and five round variations, rarely use the 10 round as it is less comfortable to carry the rifle slung and extras don't fit well in my pockets. The fives are great for both carry and and the polymer mags are even better. I have three that have performed flawlessly.

Looks better too.

Another Ruger GSR magazine video here showing the top loading feature of the poly mags
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlS5N...eature=related

Boolit Master
    It looks like type 1 and 2 will work for the GSR. The difference being the OAL of the loaded cartridge. For those shooting handloads at factory lengths the type 1 (up to 2.850") is fine. Personally I have a precision rifle that prefers a longer OAL (up to 2.985") cartridge. In that case it requires the type 2 mags.

Whit: that was an excellent video showing the left thumb loading technique.

I personally usually load my mags on the tailgate of my pickup truck so I have a solid surface to support the magazine. However it is just as easy to hold the mag in the left hand and use your thumb the same way.

I also was not aware you could load the poly mags while in the gun. I am now!

This is a perfect example of my assertion that you must be around other people with like interests to further your understanding of whatever it is you're doing.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    This is a perfect example of my assertion that you must be around other people with like interests to further your understanding of whatever it is you're doing.

Randy
    I agree completely. Luckily RGSR owners are an enthusiastic bunch and more than willing to help out. The one's I've met are typically experienced riflemen too. Your thread is a perfect example of that, sharing your loading and shooting experiences with us. Excellent stuff.

I'm sure enjoying mine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqsyF...Ixj2NDM1Sio%3D

Whit: thanks alot. I really like my gun and the performance has been nothing short of well worth the money!

But when you get down to it the whole reason why civilization exists is because of the sharing of ideas. Really you need other people for very few reasons. To help you make a living, safety in numbers, and sharing ideas to advance your lifestyle.

By the way I hijacked this thread. Someone else started it I just kept it alive for the last year or so.

The first pic I saw of the gun is the one at the beginning of this thread. I decided I wanted one in 15 seconds after I saw that pic, and called my buds at Williams Gunshop in Auburn MI to see if they could get me one. They got one in two days and shipped it to CA to my FFL and I had it in my hands a week later and shot it 10 days after that.(CA waiting period)

I will keep the thread going for as long as it takes to convinvce everyone that they need one of these guns.

How am I doin' so far?

Randy

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I was lamenting the short barrel, but finally bit the boolit and bought one. Its in transit, so not in my hands yet.

I saw videos of the Aussie version. Its barreled action is SS, and has 18" barrel with no flash hider..... I wonder why they don't offer it here in the States?

Regardless, I have my brass all resized, trimmed, and need to cast boolits. Not having the rifle in hand makes it a might difficult to know which boolit might fit the throat best. Too, I'll be curious to see what magazines are being shipped with the rifles, steel or poly.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I will keep the thread going for as long as it takes to convinvce everyone that they need one of these guns.

How am I doin' so far?

Randy
    I'm surprised at how many folks are turned off by the detachable magazine. To me, that is one of the major strong points of this particular rifle. Truthfully, I liked the rifle from first look, but was concerned about the 16-1/2" barrel being too short. I'm expecting it to be LOUD. I seriously doubt that I'll use a scout scope, but like the option of a receiver mounted peep as well as scope for sighting.

The rifle sells itself. Options of barrel length and caliber would sell more. Supplying the rifle with a 3 round mag in addition to the 10 round would help some folks along.

Boolit Master

How am I doin' so far?

Randy
    I'm on the waiting list for mine. One down. How's that?

Doc

More the merrier.

Don't hold your breath for differrent models of this gun. They are selling everyone they make in the standard configuration and there are waiting lists for the gun. They do make a left hand version, Bruce B has one, and then the Canadian version. I had not heard of a stainless version.

The Aussie version is the same as the Canadian Version as they don't allow muzzle anything and barrels must be 18".

I put Ruger onto a Canadian Contract to arm the Canadian Rangers with these guns. They are finally replacing their SMLE's after using them since 1947. I hope they get the contract as it is for 5000 guns. I read a story in Rifle Magazine about the Canadian Rangers and their SMLE's and how they were going to replace them. The author thought the M14 was the ideal gun for them. I thought different, as these guys use their guns for subsistance living in the far north, and have never fired a shot in anger. The Canadian Defense Ministry wanted .308 cal. and that was thier only stipulation.

I think a Scout type bolt action mag fed rifle is more appropriate hooked to dogsled than an M14 anyday. My friend at Ruger agreed. Lets hope the Canucks do too.

The gun isn't that loud, nobody that shoots with me complains. Wouldn't matter much it they did.

Best stock out of the box gun I have ever bought. Would have liked to have had this gun 20 years ago.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Last edited by excess650; 04-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Got Canadian version of this rifle, it came with the steel magazine stamped with Ruger logo. Now trying to figure out where to get either poly or Alpha magazines. So far found just one 10 round AI magazine and paid $110 plus tax for it

dmytro: go to Ruger.com or MidwayUSA for your poly mags. they are $39.95 ea.

I don't know what availability for these items is currently however they have nothing to do with an AR so maybe there is stock available.

Randy

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I really like the GSR....... but the magazine system SUCKS. Not the quality of the magazines mind you (either the AI or the Ruger), but the retention system. I've had an early one, a late one and a couple in between in my hands and have shot them extensively and they all have the same fault with either magazine. They tilt forward and rock around some. Of all the different 308/7.62 systems out there, this is the worst one. An AR-10 system (or H&K) would have been much better.

Boolit Mold
    dmytro: go to Ruger.com or MidwayUSA for your poly mags. they are $39.95 ea.

I don't know what availability for these items is currently however they have nothing to do with an AR so maybe there is stock available.

Randy
    Availability of those magazines is non-existent which is why I paid $110 for one AI branded magazine. I am in Canada and Ruger products in general right now are a big problem.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast