Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 45 acp old rcbs seating die

Boolit Mold

45 acp old rcbs seating die

Just purchased a kimber 1911 in 45acp that i have been loading berrys plated bullets in.I ordered some cast bullets for it tonight and started thinking about this old die set that i got from my dad along time ago that i have been saving knowing someday i would get a 45.I have been taper crimping my berry loads with a lee taper crimp die but have read that not use it on lead bullets. is that true?Looking into my seating die it looks like a roll crimp more than a taper crimp.I know my dad loaded lots with this set back in the day.the seat die does not say taper on it just says seat.next time reload was going to try a crimp and see what i get.wondering if others have seen this thanks GSPMAN

Boolit Buddy
    If my memory serves me correctly, I purchased a new set of RCBS 45 ACP dies around 1985, they were of 1984 manufacture and came with a roll crimp seating die. About a year or so later RCBP started marketing a taper crimp die, so I purchased one of those also. I never had any chambering problems from just removing the case flaring with the roll crimp die. But separating seating and crimping did help immensely.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found crimping improves accuracy, however you do it.
    DHB

Boolit Buddy
    Was having trouble with slides not going to battery occasionally with some 45 boolits purchased from a bud last yr. Think I solved the problem. Ran them through a 452 sizer and tightened the crimp a bit. The shell is smooth as a babies butt now. Before I was getting slightly bulged cases.

Boolit Bub

If you are going to use the roll crimp, put just enough of a crimp on it to remove the flare on the mouth of the case. Most auto loaders headspace on the mouth of the case.

Boolit Bub
    The 45 ACP in a 1911 head-spaces on the mouth of the case, so best to use a taper crimp. Also, I have a 45 ACP revolver that head-spaces on the mouth as well.

Use a roll crimp when head-spacing on the rim of the case. I have heard of people using a roll crimp on 45 ACP for use in a revolver when using the moon clips.
    Last edited by gcsteve; 04-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Boolit Master

In the 45ACP, 9mm & most any rimless auto pistol round, we just want to remove the flare we made for seating the boolit. We should end up with approx .471/.472 outside diameter on the case mouth for the .45ACP. Please don't roll crimp auto pistol brass. Actually, all we need to do is read our loading manuals for the good news !! enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gspman View Post
    Just purchased a kimber 1911 in 45acp that i have been loading berrys plated bullets in.I ordered some cast bullets for it tonight and started thinking about this old die set that i got from my dad along time ago that i have been saving knowing someday i would get a 45.I have been taper crimping my berry loads with a lee taper crimp die but have read that not use it on lead bullets. is that true?Looking into my seating die it looks like a roll crimp more than a taper crimp.I know my dad loaded lots with this set back in the day.the seat die does not say taper on it just says seat.next time reload was going to try a crimp and see what i get.wondering if others have seen this thanks GSPMAN
    As stated by Labguy, the old RCBS 45ACP die sets used a roll crimp. The stuff you have been reading about not using a Lee die to crimp your lead (cast/swaged) boolits refers to the Lee factory crimp die that uses a carbide ring in the bottom of the die to prevent the crimp from bugling the brass as it irons out any "oversize" such bulging when withdrawing the crimped round from the die. This is not what the regular steel Lee taper crimp die does and this type die (steel) is what you want.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info guys.yeah i will try just removing the flare and see how goes.Havent got my bullets i ordered yet so still only loading j bullets now. Thanks again GSPMAN