Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IMR 800X does it all?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    I use it my 1911A1 .45 ACP based on Ken Waters' write up in his "Pet Loads" book. My actual chronograph testing is right on with "book" speeds. My velocity with a 200 grain SWC is 872 fps and accuracy is fantastic out to 50 yards. It does meter about as well as cooked spaghetti but it is accurate and functions my 1911A1 every time. Don't shoot competition anymore so the non metering thing isn't that important anymore as I'm not loading in the volume I once was. Also works well in my 12 gauge 1 1/4 ounce loads. I like 800X a LOT!!!!

358 Win
    I agree with 358 Win, except some people say 800-X meters more like corn flakes. I use a digital powder dispenser, so I don't give that a thought.

For me it produces very good accuracy and top velocities in a lot of medium sized cartridges. I did does work best and burn the cleanest when you use enough of it to get the pressure where it can burn efficiently. From that standpoint, it probably won't appeal to you either if you're looking for "soft shooting", cat sneeze/bunny fart type loads.

For me it seems best in 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 Spc +P type full power loads. It also works well in 357 Mag and 44 Mag mid-range loads too.

Dave

Boolit Master
    does this powder get medium capacity rifle cartridges up to 18-2000 fps?
    Look twice, shoot once.

I just bought two pounds of the stuff 'cause I couldn't get anything else. I loaded a bunch of 38 special 125 grain boolits kinda warm. I hope it does well.

my 231 jug is getting Low. I tried Clay Dot and it didn't seem to like the 38 special all that well. CLay DOt and 45 acp work very well together.
    NRA Instructor
    Basic Pistol
    Personal Protection Inside the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Chief RSO
    Metallic Reloading

Boolit Master

Does it meter any worse than Red Dot?

Half the year in Canada and the other half in Mexico
    I use a lot of it in my 45 colt chambered Rossi and Winchester Carbines. Meters so poor I weigh my charges and I use it on the warm side where it develops its best accuracy for me. Very sooty at low charges.
    Biggest plus for me right now is its one of the few powders readily available as demand for it seems rather low.
    Ken Waters seemed to favor it in a few cartridges as well .
    Doc

Boolit Master

I saw 800x in stock at PowderValley last night along with W296 and IMR 4198. I ordered 8 lbs of each. After the order, it showed W296 out of stock, so I don't know if my order will go through or if it was just reserved in my browser cache and not reserved in their ordering system.

I've been using 800x for 45acp. They go bang and put lead through the target well enough, but I end up with quite a bit of unburnt powder on the shooting bench. 700x works better for me, which I already use for 9mm and 40s&w.

Boolit Master
    It is the best in 44mag,

Boolit Man
    It works for 25ACP. Right now I'm using 1.6gr with Magtech 50gr fmj bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
    I've used 800x in 10mm and 45acp with good results. The biggest problem I found with it is the size of the flakes. Just isn't friendly with most powder measures.
    Same here but my Dillon powder measure handled it fine can't say the same for the old 55 or the lee auto disk. I'm going to give 800X a try in my 16ga loads this fall with steel shot, anybody have any data for steel 16ga??
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    It did well in my Dillon 550b, but i weigh each charge unless I know its dropping well but then I still check almost everyone. I rarely go ten cartridges without checking the powder charge weight.
    What sold me was working loads with many different powders and when I got to 800x and my Marlin, I said, wow this stuff is accurate!! Since then I can love with the weighing issues for the accuracy.

Boolit Mold
    This is my favorite heavy bullet 9mm powder. Period. Throws great with a Lee Autodisk. I get 1000 fps, super soft recoil impulse, and on camera it smokes way less than a lot of factory ammo.

I also like it in 45 and 38 as well, but it really hit the sweet spot with my 147gr Rem HP competition loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaineD View Post
    Throws great with a Lee Autodisk.
    This is a statement I have NEVER seen before. God must truly love you.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Mold

IMR 800X does it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    This is a statement I have NEVER seen before. God must truly love you.
    Lol. I throw 5.3 grains of 880x and 4.1 grains of Titegroup and it does great.

I bet I've loaded 12,000 rounds with that measure. I've went through 6 replacement hoppers on it though.
    Last edited by BlaineD; 01-03-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Master

There is a lot of talk about 800X in shotguns here. I have also used it in 12 gauge steel shot loads, but mine were 3/4 oz. of steel #2 shot, a Reloading Specialties Sam 1 wad, in a Federal Gold Medal case, at 1850 fps! The effect on a duck was like what Lead used to do to them. Not just the powder charges, but the shot charge weights have to be individually weighed.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I have burned a LOT of 800X in shotgun loads! If you don't mind cleaning your shotgun,it will put out light recoiling trap and skeet loads. And making 1200 fps for competition loads is not difficult,either! Not used it in pistol or rifle yet, because have other powders for that, but, in case they run out,(fat chance of that happening) I'll use good ole 800X in their place for sure. Not a abad thing to have choices in this reloading game. Just my .02 cents. Good shooting to you!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, it meters worse than Red Dot.

The Lee Auto Disk is positively dangerous using large flake powders in small charges as it will throw squibs due to powder bridging. Not good when practicing double action revolver shooting! 800x has a noticeably larger granule size than most powders and is extra susceptible to bridging in said measure once the cavity size gets too small.

Due to much superior metering when high performance pistol loads are used I have found Power Pistol to be superior. Poor metering and high volume use seem somewhat incompatible.

Thus I have never seen 800X as a powder that justifies an 8 lb purchase. Bullseye yeah, but 800x due to its poor geometry seems more suited to niche low volume use. When I used it that's how I employed it.

800X is a bit too slow to make a decent target sbotshell powder compared to faster burning alternatives. It is better for heavier field loads.

Banned

800-x is great in the 20 guage, and makes steel shot loads for the 12 ga that are fast enough to kill things. [probably make some great buck-shot loads too]
    it also works quite well in the 41-44 mag type cases at 3/4 throttle loads.
    it isn't the best metering powder, but it for sure isn't the worst I have ever seen.
    I have been slowly replacing my 8lb jug that somehow emptied itself out with a few 4 pounders that are full [as I find them]
    I keep 800-x around because it's useful not just available.

Boolit Master
    800X has been more available at least from Powder Valley lately.. I was able to acquire a good amount of it (several 4# cans) for my R&G club before it too sold out. I think BPI or Graf's has some in stock at the moment as does Precision reloading (I just checked)..

Moderator Emeritus

For you guys using it in .45 ACP, what kind of loads are you using it for? Are they light target, midrange, or high performance? I've used over 60 different powders in my time, but never got my round tuit for 800X, so your info could help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast