MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: New 243 WSSM, where to start?

Boolit Buddy

New 243 WSSM, where to start?

Hello everybody, first post in a long time! I need to get my LNL up and running because I just purchased a Browning A-bolt in 243 WSSM.
    I've only reloaded a few hundred 5.56 rounds, that's the entirety of my rifle reloading experience.
    I'm just wondering if there's a magic powder for this caliber, Or at least a good option to start out with.
    I bought the rifle for hunting whitetail from the gel tests iv seen the 80 and 85gr Barnes TSX and TTSX look like real winners for this task, so that's where I'd like to start.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll end up with a dozen or more molds for it in a very short amount of time
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Those short fat magnums were like a flash-in-the-pan. They didn't really catch on as well as I figured they would, especially the smaller calibers. Brass may be a little hard to find, but, loading should not be anymore complicated than anyother cartridge.
    There should be some here on this site who can get you down the road aways.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

disclaimer: I have never loaded 243 WSSM and I have never used Hodgdon's Superformance

I have a friend, who I am mentoring in the reloading hobby. He bought a rifle chambered for 243 WSSM. He is using Superformance and likes it a lot. But all that he has compared it to is H414 which seemed OK. He read an article about Superformance and thought he'd give it a try. He gets better performance (more speed) from Superformance, accuracy was the same (about 1/2 MOA).

PS, I have a NOE 75gr mold (not for sale), I could share some samples, when you get there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Those short fat magnums were like a flash-in-the-pan. They didn't really catch on as well as I figured they would, especially the smaller calibers. Brass may be a little hard to find, but, loading should not be anymore complicated than anyother cartridge.
    There should be some here on this site who can get you down the road aways.
    I want to build a 243 ar15 some day. I figured I should get this and see if it works ok for my usage
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Bub
    I have worked up a few loads for my A-Bolt 243 WSSM. I have only used to bullets. 55gr Nosler FBSP and a 58gr VMax.
    The best load has been 44grains IMR-4064 with the 55gr Nosler 3565fps out of a 20 inch barrel.
    I had good luck with H4895 and IMR-4895 and would use H 4895 if I did not have IMR-4064.
    Surprisingly, 52gr of Blc(2) with the 55gr Nosler gave .75'' groups at 100 yards, could be better if I wasn't shooting off of a fold up picnic table. These came rocketing out at 4130fps....15 feet from the barrel!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160715_225749119.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	172364
    See My Sales Feedback HERE

Boolit Buddy
    Wow 4130 is cooking!
    How's the a-bolt overall? Decent gun for that cal.? I picked mine up for a very good price I think.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Bub
    4130 fps comes out to just over 2000 foot lbs of energy. The jack rabbits did not enjoy them.

The A-Bolt has given no problems. Mine has a light synthetic stock and will become a deer pack gun for the mountains. Only issue I had was when I shot more than 3 rounds rapidly accuracy diminished. The barrel hears up fast with so much powder.
    See My Sales Feedback HERE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
    Wow 4130 is cooking!
    How's the a-bolt overall? Decent gun for that cal.? I picked mine up for a very good price I think.
    My son's big game rifle is an a-bolt in .243 wssm. He is 14 and well into the double digits on deer and hogs, including a big 275 lb boar. The Browning has been a great rifle. I originally bought it for him when he was little, about 6 I think, and the short bolt lift and throw was perfect. He's a lot bigger now but there is no way anyone could pry that rifle away from him. I load 100 gr hornady interlocks at .243 win speeds to reduce the possibility of bullet fragmentation. I saw this a couple times with factory loads, but since they were lung shots, it was no big deal.

The short short action sure makes for a light, lively, and easy carrying gun.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"