Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IMR 800X does it all?

Boolit Master

IMR 800X does it all?

800X is quickly becoming my "go-to" powder...I have excellent loads for 45acp, 44 mag, 327 fed, and rifles too, 35 rem & 7.62x54r with cast 1100 fps loads all seem to work well. One thing I haven't tried yet (sorry Larry Gibson) is dacron filler in my rifle loads, but that's coming. Plus, I'm discovering this is THE powder for my 20 gauge loads, especially with 1 oz. #2 buckshot...nice tight patterns.

My question is this, anybody use this powder? If so, for what?

I'm beginning to think I could get by on just 1 powder as long as I don't need high velocity rifle loads, but I'm getting almost 1000 fps out of my 45 acp with 230 gr cast with this stuff.

How high could you go with rifle loads and this powder? 1600 fps? If anyone has loads for rifles using dacron and this powder, I would try 7.62x54r first, that would be great! Would you start at 7 grains of powder and dacron?

Boolit Master

I've used 800x in 10mm and 45acp with good results. The biggest problem I found with it is the size of the flakes. Just isn't friendly with most powder measures.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master

Wonderful accuracy and bullet speed in the .45 acp, but DIRTY and terrible metering out of any measure. I would not be surprised if it shot well in other calibers also.

I've been using it in the 20. I'm going to try it in the 7.62x54. use 700x in 357

I 've also used it in light loads with 45 colt

Banned

it don't need dacron.

i use it in the 357, 44 mag,the 20 guage,and with 1-1/8th oz steel shot loads in the 12,as well as heavy field loads.
    i have used it with cast in a couple of rifle loads too, it just doesn't meter as well as 2400 does.
    measured by volume instead of weight it does fine.

Boolit Master
    I know speer used to list some warmish 38 special loads for 800x, then pulled them. I never heard why.
    NRA life member

LB

Banned

same reason why you don't see loads for steel powder.
    it's hard to measure.
    steel has some applications in the blue dot- hs-6 area and beyond that work very well in all temperatures but every load has to be weighed.

Boolit Master

Speaking of steel, back in the 90's I used a lot of 800x in steel shot loads using AA hulls. I shot a LOT of ducks and a few geese too. I just used some of it to load up some 28 gauge loads for my son. I may have to try some in pistol loads too.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

30 years ago, a gun author with the last name Perry, did an article on plus P 38 specials and it was the top performer especially with the short barreled guns. I would agree if it meters like 700X out of my Lee 1000 (poorly), I would have to single stage load it. Forgot to state its my 10 gauge 3 1/2 powder with 2 1/4 oz of lead.
    Last edited by smkummer; 04-17-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: 10 gauge

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    Is 800X still a large flake like stuff I have had for almost 30 years? Used a lot of it in heavy shot gun loads. I tried it in 357 and 44 mag but had a lot of trouble getting consistent metering. I use Dillon and RCBS measures but never could get consistent charges. ls there a special technique that works with large flakes? I liked the results on the target, but had to weigh every charge. l gave up on it for that reason.

Carl

Boolit Master
    Used a light (15 grains) charge in a Rem 375 H&H. Lyman cast 275 gr bullet. Shot a little over 1 1/2" at 100 yards, benchrest.

Probably not a high velocity number in a rifle though. Always planned on using it in 45acp, looks like it would work from the prior posts.

Boolit Buddy
    If you like 800X you need to get the book "Pet loads" By Ken Waters. He seems to really favor that powder and claims great accuracy with it. For that reason I picked up a can of 800X but I didnt like how it metered.

Bardo

Boolit Master
    Yes, 800x is a large-flake powder that may meter poorly throught powder dribblers and the like, but I haven't tried it in that capacity. I've used Lee dippers and a Lee Perfect powder measure with great results so far.

I've decided I don't really like Unique for "universal" usage...maybe a topic for another thread. It appears at this time, 800x may suit my needs as the "go to" powder for cast boolit loads. Looking for other inputs on the subject to explore the possibilities.

On that note, I'd really be interested to hear of experimentation with 800x and dacron in rifle loads...or even speculation at this point.

As a new loader, it is the first powder I could get. In 10mm, I hand weighed every charge, and it's a serious PITA. I wish I could find some AA7 or AA9.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by chboats View Post
    Is 800X still a large flake like stuff I have had for almost 30 years? Used a lot of it in heavy shot gun loads. I tried it in 357 and 44 mag but had a lot of trouble getting consistent metering. I use Dillon and RCBS measures but never could get consistent charges. ls there a special technique that works with large flakes? I liked the results on the target, but had to weigh every charge. l gave up on it for that reason.

Carl
    Throw 25 charges. Get the high, low, and average. If that falls within the safe envelope of the load ladder then all is right with the world.

Boolit Master
    deleted double post

Boolit Master
    It works great in my 45acp I had not tried it in my 44mag and I do have a good bit of 800x

Boolit Grand Master

I've got a pound of it sitting on the shelf for trial purposes. I'll get around to it eventually.

Boolit Buddy
    I use it my 1911A1 .45 ACP based on Ken Waters' write up in his "Pet Loads" book. My actual chronograph testing is right on with "book" speeds. My velocity with a 200 grain SWC is 872 fps and accuracy is fantastic out to 50 yards. It does meter about as well as cooked spaghetti but it is accurate and functions my 1911A1 every time. Don't shoot competition anymore so the non metering thing isn't that important anymore as I'm not loading in the volume I once was. Also works well in my 12 gauge 1 1/4 ounce loads. I like 800X a LOT!!!!

358 Win
    Last edited by 358 Win; 07-02-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast