RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: VdoMemorie, foster slug platform idea.

VdoMemorie, foster slug platform idea.

Ajay, someone posted on another forum that claybuster was making a 3/4 oz. 12 ga wad so i ordered a sample of them as well as a sample of their 20 ga. 3/4 oz wads. They arrived today and i noticed that the center of the shot cup has a protruding dome in them. It looks to me like it would make a nice platform for full bore foster slugs if the petals were removed.

I don't have a foster slug mold, but it looks to me like you do more slug experimenting than anyone else on this forum so i thought you might like to know about this idea. I don't know if the column of the wads would stand up to a great deal of pressure, but if they would work it looks to me like a great platform to center foster slugs. Claybuster will give you a free sample just for the asking so if you want to give them a try it won't cost you anything.

Banned
    God morning UniqueDot, thank you for the tip and if you can post the link to order the sample pack so we all here on this wonderful forum can try it.
    I'd appreciate that.
    You have a great day.

Ajay
    Video Memories
    VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabots
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Sure, just send an email request to information@claybusterwads.com and ask for a sample of CB0175-12 and if you want to try the 20 ga version as well you can also get a sample of CB1075-20.

Banned
    Thanks for the link UniqueDot, I'm waiting for my sample pact.
    You have a great day.
    Ajay
    Video Memories

Banned
    Thanks to you UniqueDot, I just got these beautiful and very colorful goodies bags.

I tried the 12 ga ones with extended version of my Lee Drive key and they fit OK into my smooth bore barrel of .730" and should work out just fine in my rifled barrel in Rem. 1100M
    and now I know I'm about to get into trouble by saying this " my Savage F210 does not have a regular size rifled barrel even tho its a over the counter gun, it has an over bored rifled barrel and the slug in wad is a loose fit into it.
    When I say my extended version of Lee slug this is what I mean

and when I tried the 20 gauge wads I noticed the wad OD was a bit too small and I could not fit a .575 hollow base bullet into it and the petals would bulge badly!
    Ajay
    Video Memories

I didn't think they would work with the petals due to the slight ribbing and assumed you would need to remove them and use a full bore slug. My drive key has not been modified so i can't use them with the wads, but i loaded up some fine 3/4 oz. scatter loads with them! I'm looking forward to your updates.

Banned
    Hello UniqueDot the 12 gauge wads are plain walled and smooth and so are the 20 gauge ones,because of the raised platform you are right we can not use any nitro card in wad.

The Lyman 525 slug fit right over the raised platform, try using it that way.
    Perhaps I'll try them next time I go to the range and report back!
    Ajay
    Video Memories

I didn't even consider the Lyman sabot because i just assumed it would be too long so i didn't even try it. I'll have to wait till i order a supply of the wads since i already loaded the samples. I could have sworn my 12 ga. samples had slight ribbing inside the petals. I guess my observation was poor as i was mostly excited about the dome in the center of the shotcups.