Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Rifled shotgun push through Boollit sizer :-)

Super Moderator

Rifled shotgun push through Boollit sizer :-)

................Just got done making these. 1-1/4 steel, threaded 12 tpi. Takes those 1" OD inserts. That's a insert blank in the upper left. Right photo shows an insert in place. Just waiting for the slugs so I can hone them to size. A couple detail items to finish up, but basicly done.

...................Buckshot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Size dies 1.jpg   Size dies 2.jpg  
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

So . . . you can change the insert to a different size?????

Boolit Master

Buckshot,

Do the inserts go in from the bottom so you push them against a shoulder in the die? I have a set of push trough made by a Mr. Bill Wood in Colorado that woks in a similar fashion. The best way to keep the die insert in if it goes up from bottom is to use a plastig bag or plastic wrap when you put the insert in. it will friction fit and is easily removed with a dowel and a thump of the hand. Those are the instrucitons that came with my dies.

Will be interesting to see how the big sizer works out for you.

Boolit Bub
    Buckshot, nice work. What do you use the slugs for? Your Snider? I did almost the same thing with 7/8x14 bolts to size down the 20ga slugs I use in my Snider. I think I have to make a different set up though, its a little rough on my press. I do all my own bullet sizing dies the same way. I'm in the process now of making a neck sizing die that will have changable heads. 7/8x14 bolt hollowed out large with a 5/8x18 insert in the to with the correct sizer. Beats trying to make them all out of 7/8x14. Have Fun

Boolit Bub
    Hey Buckshot were you in the US Navy. Don't see many people use the word "plankowner". I was and I am.

Banner Sponsor

You always make great looking stuff.
    How are you going to keep the bushing insert in? Thread the top for a hollow nut like the Lyman lubesizer?
    What grade of steel did you use? Will it need to be hardened?
    lots of ?s TIA

Super Moderator

Junior1942, " So . . . you can change the insert to a different size?????"

................Yup! Cheaper then making whole new die bodies that size.

manleyjt, "Do the inserts go in from the bottom so you push them against a shoulder in the die?"

..............No they go in from the top. Maven has a set like you're talking about. He said he used Saran wrap to hold them in. I haven't figured out how I want to hold the inserts in yet. I was thinking maybe slot the body and use an E clip, or a hitch clip type deal. Maybe just opposing setscrews as the top of the insert is bored oversize.

seawolfjact, " nice work. What do you use the slugs for? Your Snider? Hey Buckshot were you in the US Navy. Don't see many people use the word "plankowner". I was and I am."

..............No I made these for someone else who is shooting a rifled shotgun. Yes I lived on a big gray mobilehome, USS Noa DD-841. You must have been a Bubblehead .

lar45, "What grade of steel did you use? Will it need to be hardened? lots of ?s TIA

...............The body is 12L14 and the inserts are W-1. Since they're for lead slugs the inserts don't have to be hardened. They easily could be but I'd use O-1 if I was going to harden them. W-1 can shrink a bit and with their thin cross sections I'd be afraid they might crack. You could caseharden 1018 which would be great but I don't have the furnace setup to do it right, and using Kasenit would be a PITA, and maybe iffy for ID's.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance