Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $75 a 5 gallon bucket

Boolit Buddy
    John,you would be very lucky too get 100 lbs of ingots out of a 5 gallon bucket. When you start looking at it from strictly a $$ standpoint you can get a certified alloy from Missouri Bullet Company for a little more than $2 a pound.

Boolit Master
    I stopped at 4 different places today trying to score some wheelweights. Its tire change over season and LOTS of folks are getting their studded winter tires changed over to summer tires right now so there should be lots of wheelweights to be found. Two places wouldn't even talk to me about it. Said company policy didn't allow them to give away or sell WW. The other two places wanted $65 and $100 per bucket respectively. I just said thanks but no thanks. Lots of folks up here want them for fishing weights for halibut and other ocean fishing and to them its cheaper than buying the fishing weights is all I can figure. I'll stick to using what free and cheap weights I can scrounge and then buy off the swap and sell section here.

Boolit Master

I stopped at 4 places today. One fellow said he would sell me a 5 gallon bucket for $60.00. He re-uses COWW and has to pay $25.00 for a box of 50 new. Can't blame him for keeping what he has. He feeds his family. 3 other places said they had none (in one, I saw 2- 5 gallon buckets full, before I asked). I've got lead, but always looking for more. You guys getting lots for free--congratulations, but for many of us in different areas, it is a little difficult, for whatever reason. I'm just trying to build up a stock. I get a pound here, 5 pounds there. Slow but works.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

You guys getting lots for free--congratulations, but for many of us in different areas, it is a little difficult, for whatever reason.
    This is very true. I haven't even bothered looking or asking around here for a year or more. Every place I asked, if they would even talk to me, thought they had gold. They wanted $.75 to $1 PER POUND for raw wheel weights. One guy told me they had folks who would pay it. Must be a lot of desperate casters around here is all I figure.

I was talking with an acquaintance a couple years ago, an old timer who also casts. He hadn't gotten any WWs in a while, but made the comment that there was always lots of lead to be had. He said he gets his WWs five or six buckets at a time, never pays more than $10 per bucket. I asked him how long it had been since he had gotten any, and told him to be prepared for a shock. He laughed it off with the certainty that things would always be as they always had been.

Some time later I ran into him and the first thing he asked, with a desperate tone in his voice, was if I had a good source for lead that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If someone is reusing wheel weights, they are very likely in violation of the law. Used ones come off easy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Stopped in for an oil change today, the guy was happy to have me haul off 1/2 bucket of WW so he didnt have to mess with them................just sayin.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gon2shoot View Post
    Stopped in for an oil change today, the guy was happy to have me haul off 1/2 bucket of WW so he didnt have to mess with them................just sayin.
    Again, anybody that gets some for free--congrats. I'm happy for you. It sucks to be me!! Don't worry, I have resources. I'm not worried, slow, easy and get more!!!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Around me is the same, nothing is for free. Most won't sell any because they are already selling to a scrapyard, even if I tell them I will pay a little more. But so far buying from the scrapyards is ok at $.40/lb and I am able to pick through the tubs to fill the buckets,so I get very little zinc or junk, plus I get all the heavy ones,so less weight in clips also. I can also get buckets of indoor range scrap for $30 with 130 to 160lbs each. I am up to 750-800lbs in just a couple months now, working on 1/2 to 3/4 ton of stock hopefully. May sell some here and there.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up another 5 gal bucket that I had to split into two buckets to get it in the truck. I had to insist that my tire guy take at least $10 dollars for it, and he loaded it. Told me to come back in two months for another one. Really nice guy and he services a lot of truck / tractors as well so some of the weights are the big ones. He has always known that I cast bullets out of them. Picked up lots of lead and tires at a good price from him over the years.

Boolit Master
    Some of the smaller tire shops are still selling WW's but most of the bigger shops will not, they have to account for all that they take in. I checked with the local scrap yard 2 weeks ago & he told me he absolutley could not sell any lead, WW's, linotype, etc, said it was in violation of EPA regs. Better get them while you can. I have plenty so its not a problem but if I didn't have any I'd pay the $75. Bought 1200 lbs of linotype a few years ago for 12 cents a pound, wish I had bought all they had. WW's as we know them are just about non existant.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Florida appears to locked down all over now. Danged Government and frog lickers! Get them while you can! Gtek

Boolit Master

I checked with the local scrap yard 2 weeks ago & he told me he absolutley could not sell any lead, WW's, linotype, etc, said it was in violation of EPA regs.
    It's interesting how the regulations must apply differently to different scrap yards. Some give you the "illegal" line, others sell with no problem. I asked at a local yard and was told no problem, $.65/lb. I'm not desperate so I didn't buy any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12