WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with lead poisoning?

Boolit Buddy

What's the deal with lead poisoning?

I try to be safe and all, but I keep hearing different things about lead poisoning and how you get it while smelting and otherwise working with lead.

First, I smelt in my garage. I keep the door open (obviously) and open the side door for ventilation. Any smoke rising off the surface floats out the big door... but should I be worried? Is it true that the vapors don't rise high up off the table?

Second, I don't wear gloves. Should I be worried about that?

None of my lead is oxidized (at least visually).

Anyway... anything else you can tell me is welcome. I don't really love the thought of getting lead poisoning... which I've heard is incredibly painful.

Boolit Master

I cast commecially, albeit on a small scale. I smelt scrap lead when I have to and always alloy up my own lead. I just did 900 lbs of scrap sheet lead last week. I used to get my lead level checked every year but my doctor won't authorize it that often any more as I always came back in the normal range. I did lower my lever 4 points(from 12 to 8) by not dumping out my tumbler in the garage, now I do it outside. Tumbler dust apparently carries a bit or airborne lead with it. At least it worked for me. I never eat or drink while casting, smelting or alloying. I wash my hands after with D-Lead soap, available from Brownells. As far as I know lead poisoning doesn't hurt, it is the chelating the doctor does to remove lead from your body. Keep your hands out of your mouth and nose while in contact with lead and you should be fine.

Don't smoke, eat, or drink while you're working with lead. This includes reloading and especially your tumbler!

Always wash up as soon as your done working with lead.

I got my lead blood level tested last time I got a physical and it was low.

Practice good hygiene and habits and you don't need to worry.

As far as the gloves, I would recommend them for sure, but some folks are comfortable not using them and I'm not going to argue.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ingestion of lead dust or lead oxides is much more of an issue than "fumes" are.
    Good personal hygiene is the key. Wash your hands well when done. Don't eat, drink, or smoke while handling lead.
    With some basic precautions lead poisoning need not be an issue.

Boolit Master

Well, I guess I'm destined to get poisoned as I do 2 of those 3 things while casting & reloading! Sometimes all three, but rarely as I find it hard to eat while reloading. I do try and keep my cigarette away from the press when I check to see that the powder actually got into the casing. For all I know I might already have high lead levels, as I can't convince my doc to test me for lead, he keeps saying as long as I don't actually eat the lead that I'll be fine, and due to my various ailments and allergies I kind of feel the way I've seen lead poisoning's symtoms listed. But then, I'm a big boy, I know the dangers of what I do, and don't & won't blame anyone else for my actions.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Banned

the number one way to get lead into your body is to ingest it.
    just wash your hands.
    i worked in electro ceramics with oxidized lead for over two years and run a casting business at the same time.
    we had our blood drawn at work every three months,
    my lead levels were the same as everybody elses that worked there.
    i was one of the few that worked there that smoked.

Boolit Master
    A lot of people are mistakenly convinced that any contact with lead will immediately cause lead poisoning, simply because that's what they tell us. You know who they are - the CDC, the gubiment, anti-gunners, etc. Lead is evil, and it will kill you and all living things if introduced into your environment.

In reality, as long as you don't eat it or otherwise ingest it, you'll be just fine when casting bullets. Emptying out your tumbler probably exposes you to more lead than casting does. To the list of 'don't eat, drink, or smoke,' I would add 'don't dip.' Obviously, you wouldn't want to stick your lead-covered fingers into your can of worm-dirt, scoop out a pinch, and insert it into your mouth.

My son, the doctor, tells me the same thing - don't eat, drink or smoke, and wash your hands thoroughly when you're finished. You'll be just fine; so will your family.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Constant INDOOR shooting should be a concern.

MikeS,

Being a Fatalist with lead is not smart,
    Lead poisoning concerns YOUR CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM,
    NOT REALLY SOMETHING TO BE TREATED LIGHTLY.

Boolit Master

These fellows covered it all...I'm just going to give em all dittos on this lead stuff. It will NOT rub off on your fingers and absorb into your bloodstream. It will NOT evaporate into the air for you to breath in. It takes a much higher temp than what we use to vaporize lead.

I cast in the shop with the doors closed in the winter, I refuse to breath all that cold air in. I do use clean lead for casting.

Breathing in smoking hot grease and grime from WWs is NOT good.

Boolit Master
    I have heard that vitiman B12 was suppose to help remove lead from ones system.Don't know for sure though.If someone has a health care member in their family,check with them and let us know
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

A couple posts above mentioned oxidized lead, I just bought 700# + of ww that had orange rust over a lot of it. I smelted about 50# and took in a couple of snootfuls of the smoke, it wasn't pleasant but didn't make me sick. The next week I bought a respirator and the proper rated insert things so I'll be ready for the next smelting session.

Question though, as I sort through the weights, that orange rust/lead gets everywhere. Any way to get rid of that so I won't have to handle it? i.e., buy a bottle of Lead Magic (TM) if it's been invented yet or anything to spray on the ww?

TIA,
    SlimTim

Boolit Master

Plus one on what Moonman said. I get my blood checked every six months. My levels just went down 6 points from high normal. The ONLY thing I changed was, I stopped shooting rimfires indoors over the winter. My doc's ( 3 or 4) have never given my any grief about getting lead tested. They ask why - I tell them - they say OK. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Resist licking the ingots
    Last edited by Lead Fred; 04-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Banned

tim.
    that orange stuff is rust from steel.
    just wash it off with a hose.

Boolit Buddy
    I will see if I can get some good pics of some oxide and post them

Two of the biggest culpurt's in our hobby that'll lead you up is tumbling media and the priming compound used in primer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Resist licking the igots
    Tooooooo tempting!

Boolit Master

I thought that you were supposed to lick you ingots to see if they're cool enough to handle?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wpjzkf
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    Don't lick ingots or boolits.And whatever don't stick them in your mouth.
    You have to have a really hot fire to get the lead to vaporize.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, that's a load off my mind. Still, I suppose I should get tested? I don't think I touch the lead all that much except the finished bullets, but I do drink while casting. It gets hot out there, you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast