MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: NEWBIE!! Need help Shotshell reloading

Boolit Mold

NEWBIE!! Need help Shotshell reloading

Hello!

I'm new to this forum but after reading threads for about an hour, this seems like a good place to find some information!

I shoot about 10-15 boxes of 1oz. 8 shot 12ga shells per week. Trying to practice to get into competitive shooting. This is starting to get really expensive!! I've been looking into reloading and have determined the shot is so expensive, you can't really save much money reloading 12ga shells as opposed to buying cheap federal boxes.

So I found lead shot makers and I'm looking into getting one. But after watching youtube videos, all these people have insane looking setups for shot making (pumps, coolers etc)

My question is, how should I get started into shot making? What equipment would I need? What kind of lead(alloy, %tin etc)? Where would I get a hold of this lead?

The last few weeks I've been saving my hulls. I've got like a thousand cheap Federal hulls and a few hundred Winchester AA hulls

Any help getting me started into reloading these shells would be great! Thanks in advance!

This is going to be alot for you to take on all at once. I would suggest that you find a single stage press and just buy a few bags of shot and start from there. If you keep shooting the way you are you are going to want to get a progressive press. It would be helpfull if you knew someone that reloads shotshells so they could show you how it is done.

For the shot making, unless you can get the ww for a good price it is going to be hard to justify it. Here are some numbers for you. It will cost you about $5.35/box to load a box of shells buying new shot. If you have to buy your lead for the going price of ~$1 a pound this will take your total down to ~$3.88/box. If you are real lucky and get your lead for free you would be around $2.32/box. The shot making process is not all that hard, it tends to be long. You have to rince the shot, dry it, sort it and graphite it. All this to save about $15-$30 a week. If you have the time to make the shot AND shoot and everything else that you normaly do then yes, it is worth it. Also, you are looking at ~75 pounds of shot to be made per month. That is lead that you are going to have to find/buy/smelt and make into shot. Just something else to think about.

All that being said, yes, I do make my own shot. I do not shoot as much as I used to tho. It is fun but it does take time and patience.

If you are looking to become a better shot try taking some classes from a level 2 or 3 instructor. Its gonna cost $$$ but it will be worth it. It is the only real way to get to the next level. At the very least shoot with others that are a better shot than you are.

I am sure that others will chime in with more suggestions.

Jerry Jr.
    Last edited by southpaw; 04-10-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Banned
    I reload a lot of shotshells myself and I considered buying a shot maker as well, however, after much thought and price comparison, I found it cheaper to just order the "reclaim" shot from RotoMetals in 25# bags already as shot instead of trying to justify the cost and hassle of doing it myself. A 25 pound bag of shot goes further than you'd think. However...

When we go out to shoot clays, I find it more economical to go to WalMart and buy a 100/rd box of 12 Ga. Winchester for $22.00

Now, to shoot 10-15 boxes a week, I don't know what it's like to be in this situation, but, if you have time to reload that many, that often, that's great, but, maybe consider buying your shotshells in case lots to save time and money ?

Quote Originally Posted by peterchi2 View Post

My question is, how should I get started into shot making? What equipment would I need? What kind of lead(alloy, %tin etc)? Where would I get a hold of this lead?
    Oops, missed this part. You are gonna need a shot maker. Littleton and Stewart shotmakers come to mind. You are also going to need some coolant. Everything from water to laundry detergent have been used. I would stay away from the diesel fuel tho. A container to house the coolant and catch the shot it. a bigger container to put that container in to catch the coolant that runs over. Some screens to sift out the globs that you will get and some window screens to dry the shot on. Some graphite and something to put the dry shot in to coat it with the graphite.

Time and patience to get it going. Figure on spending one day to run off about 100#'s of shot. I know, I know 25#'s an hour but you still have all the sifting drying ect.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to let you know what you are getting into.

Where are you from? There might be someone close to you that could give you a hand.

Oh, the lead. Check the tire shops and scrap yards. Also in the vendor sponsor and swapping and selling section you can get ww ingots for ~$60 for 50#'s

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Grand Master

I gave up reloading shotshells when the inline 209 muzzle loaders came out and the price of primers went up. Maybe you can beat wal-mart prices if you get a darn good deal on your shot and powder, but I cant do it. I was doing just slightly better than breaking even when I was loading. I figured my time is worth something, so I just quit doing it.
    However, If your talking about making your own shot, you can shave a few $$ off the cost of shells, but is it worth the investment? You would have to keep shooting at the pace you are for a few years to break even, and you will be spending a lot of time making the shot and stuff instead of shooting. I just dont see the percentage in it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.