RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Keep in mind this is a gun forum not a english fourm. It is frequented by guys with many levels of education. I could give a rats @@@ if someone has a word misspelled or doesnt use a cap or proper puntuation. Im here to learn and share knowlege about casting, not to get grammer lessons.
    Excuse me , but that is spelled "rat's @$$"

I'm 59 and I know that my grammer and my spelling is horrendous. The thing is, half of the mistakes you see here are from not going back and rereading your writing before you post it.

I can't really complain about the people here when I see this every morning when I read on-line news articles from supposed journalist.

As for smart phones and dumb phones and just cheapo mobiles, I'm the guy that writes out whole words and uses caps and punctuations and generally takes forever to write a txt. But, the recipients don't complain 'cause they can read my messages! I did get my first mobile later in life and only because I was forced to. I used to say, 'we go out into the wilderness to get away from the phone so why take the flipping thing with you?' Actually, taking a mobile out hunting is kinda silly - there's no reception out there and when there is, someone you're trying to escape from is going to phone you just as you're sneaking up close to that deer! But I take mine anyway and I do forget to turn it off. Well, actually, I leave it in the car. That way it won't fall out my pocket and get lost. And be a bloody nuisance!

On the other hand of course the is the emergency call one might get like someone has just died - like they won't stay dead if you don't get the message immediately! So what's that got to do with spelling? Oh yes, drifting off topic!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I try to do the best I can. English was not my best subject. Not even close! A verb is a strange creature that moves around in a sentence. I just never understood English class. Math, now there's something you can understand. There are rules, laws and formulas that don't change.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    I think that many of the members here use firefox browser with automatic spell check.
    HAR!!! Yup, when I use another computer without Firefox my sheer ignorance shows through!

My biggest problem is the ', ", ;, and : keys get hit accidentally so that my post looks like "...they;re...". Bugs me cause I don't catch it.

Boolit Master
    I try really hard to get the majority of my post or PM's proofed before I post them. Even so I think I am somewhat dyslexic, in that there are simply several words, and usually always numbers which leave my brain in one order, and end up in another after they get to my hand, whether it is writing or typing.

So if you come across something in one of my post or PM's that looks bass awkward, or transposed, well it simply means I didn't read through it three or more times before I posted it.

I do however try really hard to get the punctuation in the right places though.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Master
    i have always had a bad hearing problem so my spelling was never good. i was also told not to use capital letters it was shouting.

Boolit Master

My spelling is only as good as it is due to grand parents that were English teachers. My mother had it so bad that her and her siblings were not even allowed to use contractions growing up... Saw my Grandmother almost blow a gasket after my use of the word ain't as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Yep. But it's still a matter of personal ignorance and social decay.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I am like 41mag.So I do not type a lot,but I do notice the missing letter or two in folks posts.
    Sometimes the poster makes a mess of a word and is hard to work out what he is saying.
    Dyslexia can be a problem with typing loads,so I do not suggest any sort of loading data.
    Lionel

Can you read this, sure you can.

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, I am amazed at all the responses. Lack of proper spelling and grammatical errors is something I have noticed for a long time. Spelling is one thing, but I think that what makes me wonder more is the use of the wrong word. Using site instead of sight, their, or they're and so on. Those cases make me think that the person doesn't know which word it correct. I will admit that I don't capitalize or use apostrophes in contractions, the reason for that is my typing skills.
    The biggest thing that annoys me along these lines is the use of the apostrophe. It is used on all forums, by so many people. Even here on this site in a category headline there is an apostrophe where there should not be one. "alloy's"
    Not trying to annoy anyone, I started this thread partly to be humorous.

Boolit Buddy
    I ranted at my class today about their lack of effort in writing anything these days. This includes emails to me, visual aids for projects upon which they are working, and (especially) their essays.

Lower case "I" comments abound (even though they aren't even supposed to use "I" in an academic essay), you get the odd "R" substituted for "are," and for whatever reason they have yet to figure out that the red squiggly under a word means that it doesn't seem to exist in the English language.

Today, I decided to show them how I felt about their writing by posting up the following message, compliments of http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/4766/#comment. If you check the comment from someone with the handle, "witchywoman," you'll see the following:
    I do not 4 1 sec think that this wonderful song has ne thng what so ever 2 do with drugs. But of course I believe that each and every song means something differant 2 every1 depending on ur life experences. And 4 me (being in2 Wicca) I adore this song. i am accually getting ready 2 get these words tatooed on my back around my penigram thats what brought me 2 this site. 4 me this song descibes who i am . i am n no way on any kind of drugs. unless u concider caffine 1.... lol... i am simply a sexy, out going female... WITCHY WOMAN... thats me..
    They immediately started laughing at the poor grammar. I told them, "I am to you, as you are to her. You laugh because she cannot spell, capitalize, or make any kind of real sense? I feel the same about most of you. Every time I see one of these in your work, I will ignore your entire document. If you cannot show me enough respect to write properly, as you have been taught for the last 12 years, you cannot receive a grade. Even if there were such a thing as 'good enough,' what you habitually turn in is not it. Now... if you don't mind, I need to go get some words inked on around my penigram tattoo."

Amusing, yes, but I refuse to believe that this has anything to do with text messaging. It has everything to do with intellectual laziness. Writing is contextual. What you write to your friend doesn't go to your boss's boss.

/rant

Just remember, it is not the person that misspells words, it is the pencil. Everybody knows that!
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by kappy View Post
    I ranted at my class today about their lack of effort in writing anything these days. This includes emails to me, visual aids for projects upon which they are working, and (especially) their essays.

Lower case "I" comments abound (even though they aren't even supposed to use "I" in an academic essay), you get the odd "R" substituted for "are," and for whatever reason they have yet to figure out that the red squiggly under a word means that it doesn't seem to exist in the English language.

Today, I decided to show them how I felt about their writing by posting up the following message, compliments of http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/4766/#comment. If you check the comment from someone with the handle, "witchywoman," you'll see the following:

They immediately started laughing at the poor grammar. I told them, "I am to you, as you are to her. You laugh because she cannot spell, capitalize, or make any kind of real sense? I feel the same about most of you. Every time I see one of these in your work, I will ignore your entire document. If you cannot show me enough respect to write properly, as you have been taught for the last 12 years, you cannot receive a grade. Even if there were such a thing as 'good enough,' what you habitually turn in is not it. Now... if you don't mind, I need to go get some words inked on around my penigram tattoo."

Amusing, yes, but I refuse to believe that this has anything to do with text messaging. It has everything to do with intellectual laziness. Writing is contextual. What you write to your friend doesn't go to your boss's boss.

/rant
    Wow kappy, Very well put!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I've always been good at English and other languages and have always prized myself in knowing how to use good English. I always proofread anything I type not only for correctness but for correct grammar as well. Even in this thread I've noticed non capitalized I for the first person singular, but also I've noticed split infinitives, i.e., to not buy or to not do. I've also noticed that there're a few who do not know the use of "then" and "than". I could have been an English teacher but chose another field of study. Just wished I had continued with English. Having a proper knowledge in the English language helps with other languages as well. I have found that in English you can make your thoughts known either in the active or passive voice, use the first person or refer to yourself in the third. There are a lot of ways to say something in English. Not so true of other languages. German has a distinctive word order and capitalized every noun. In Spanish the adjective follows the noun and they have two past tenses, different verb endings for each person, and of course they have perfect, future perfect tenses and use two different verbs for "to be". There are rules in language just as there are rules in mathematics. One must learn the rules in order to be able to use correct English. I know that many abbreviations are necessarily used on this forum and I started out using them. But then I started to think about the lurkers who read a lot of information and I certainly do not want to add to their confusion over mere terms. So now I spell everyting out, try to use proper punctuation and grammar but, as I am a human creature, I am sometimes too lazy to look up a word in the dictionary and merely guess at its spelling.

However, things are quite different when I talk in the vernacular. I kin rite dialogue 'bout as well as any 'an I feel I kin git my message accross usin' this tipe of Englush as I know thet some r from the hills 'o Tennessee an' thay talk thataway. Sorry for the rant. I learned all my English in the 8th grade. I had a teacher who gave you a one-hundred or a zero--you got a zero if you missed just one thing on the test. With that kind of teacher you either learned or burned. BC
    Last edited by Bullet Caster; 04-11-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Grand Master
    English was my worst subject, in school. However, that said, once I started my own business, I had to learn how to write a decent business letter.

Did you mean "pentagram tatoo" Sorry, couldn't help myself

Love Life
    My job is easy in that department. I just have to drag my knuckles better than everybody else!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    English was my worst subject, in school. However, that said, once I started my own business, I had to learn how to write a decent business letter.

Did you mean "pentagram tatoo" Sorry, couldn't help myself
    No... I meant "penigram." Witchywoman, on the other hand, likely meant "pentagram."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Caster View Post
    I could have been an English teacher but chose another field of study. Just wished I had continued with English.
    Trust me... I went that way. I'm still going that way. You can do better. You likely already have.

Boolit Master

As a youngster I was so pissed off at school and teachers the mispelling was about 50/50 intentional/accidental.
    It is some effort to spell correctly and write clearly, but the effort pays off when someone acutualy reads what you write.
    I'm not smart enough to get a spell check going on this site but do have my thesaurus handy.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast