Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to improve trigger pull on Mosin Nagant?

Super Moderator

How to improve trigger pull on Mosin Nagant?

I have been casting for my M.N. for a little while now. While I have been getting pretty good results, I know my marksmanship would be a heck of a lot better if it had a better trigger pull.

The bore of my rifle is in good shape(after cleaning for hours & hours & hours), but the trigger is horrendous, and that is putting it mildly. I have seen aftermarket stuff, but these kits cost more than the rifle itself cost. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve to improve MN triggers?

I really like the Mosin Nagant...the sights really work for me. (I can actually see them). It is simple, reliable, and rugged. It shoots OK, but I know much more potential is there.

Thanks in advance....Shooter

Arrow

Shooter, Take a look at this: http://badone07.freeservers.com/Mosi...ReTrigger.html

Also, I think the CBA's "Fouling Shot" had an article on a simple modification via shimming, to the MN trigger.

Super Moderator

Maven, the link does not seem to work.

Shooter, I just tried it again and it works, but I'm using MS Internet Explorer. You may have to check your browser's (?) settings to get that link to work.

Super Moderator

Thanks, I will try tonight on my home computer.

In Remembrance
    I just checked on the timney triggers for the thing and almost fell over, dang those things went up since the last time I bought one. Of course back then I drove to there shop and just picked it up to. They used to be in Phoenix where they are now I have no clue, maybe I'll check that out later.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

there was a article at surplusrifles.com , not sure if that website is still around , it involved shortening the bolt spring , thining the little leaf spring on the trigger itself ,and probably some more stuff I don't remeber at the moment , There was also a guy selling adjustable triggers for them , I followed the intructions on the website and added the adjustable trigger and the difference is amazing you won't think it is the same rifle

http://www.huberconcepts.com/Mosin-N...eplacement.htm
    this is the trigger I added
    Last edited by dnepr; 04-09-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add url

Banned

Get ahold of a Finish modified trigger. Or find some pictures of one. It is really easy to do if you have some prehard pins. You might have to shorten the cocking piece sear surface also. I did 3 of them on rifles I used to own. They are a very nice 2 stage trigger.

Boolit Master
    take a coke can and cut shims, then stack them in one at a time under the leaf spring that the trigger is tensioned by. watch if you add too much the bolt will fall out

Banned

All that does is make it very mussy! And you never know when it will go off.

Boolit Buddy
    I have done the mod shown and it works great. You need to go to a Mosin discussion group site .There is a few pictures of the sear with shaded areas to remove with a stone .The captured Finnish Mosins have this done to them .The original Mosin sear has too much angle on them ,so much so that as you pull the trigger it tends to make the striker part of the bolt back up as the sear goes down .Now your pulling against the main spring also.Arnie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I just checked on the timney triggers for the thing and almost fell over, dang those things went up since the last time I bought one. Of course back then I drove to there shop and just picked it up to. They used to be in Phoenix where they are now I have no clue, maybe I'll check that out later.
    I am also hesitant to spend the money on the Timney trigger - costs more than the rifle did! I've done some trigger work on one Mosin that I own and it turned out pretty well. This involved reducing the sear height and tapering and polishing the 'sear spring' portion of the assembly. The trigger return spring featured here seems like a good investment. Drilling the trigger pin holes in the receiver out to the same diameter as the hole in the trigger also seems like a good idea - that should eliminate a bunch of the slop inherent in the design.

To the OP: if you Google 'Mosin trigger job,' and do some research you should find instructions on about three different approaches to improving the Mosin trigger. Do some tinkering and see what works best for you.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the input guys. Looks Like I need to do some research. I am hesitant to spend $80-90 bucks or more on a $10 piece of trigger metal. I only paid $75 for the rifle and all the accessories. I guess I can't complain too much about a bad trigger.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed with the above suggestions. Best way is to polish the contact area where the leaf spring rides THROUGH the trigger (you'll see when you take it apart). It works for most people, but it did NOT work for me!

So... I am currently in the process of stoning the sear/bolt striker contact area. Mine has WAY too much contact and is VERY gritty; ever heard of a 5-stage trigger? My 91/30 has it (although my M44 is just dandy). Mine has so much contact angle that when I start pulling the trigger, I can see the back of the entire bolt being cammed downwards!

Be very careful though. Take too much off and/or get the angle wrong and now you'll have an unsafe gun that may "jump" the sear engagement unexpectedly.

Emrah

P.S. Shimming the trigger spring did not work for me at all. Just made it mushier.

Boolit Master
    I think this guy has it figured out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPn8IdNJ_SE

I've installed both the Huber and a Timney. The Timney took all evening to get it to fit. You will even have to cut into the pillar bolt hole a bit.
    The Huber was easy, but it still took a bit of wood removal. Five minutes work.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

The link in post #2 shows a mod that I came up with a few years ago. The original "article" I did can be found here:
    2¢, No Creep, Adjustable Mosin Trigger

'Scuse the crappy pictures, but the mod works great.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I bought a kit on E-Gay for $5 that had the spring, and spacer in it.
    Worked wonders
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    www.smith-sights.com

This guy has developed a cheap trigger alternative apparently. $50 for a copy of the Finnish pinned trigger.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

It is NOT a copy of a Finn trigger. It is close to one but not the same. He is a member here also.

Here is a better picture he posted.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150561

Do a google search for Finnish trigger pics. There are a bunch. And it is not that hard to do.

Boolit Bub
    I used a steel shim red loctited into place ontop of the trigger.
    Which was then polished with a dremel and jewlers rouge.
    As was the sear and bolt contact.
    The bolt was then cocked and the rear attachment lug was slammed home into a 2x4. A few dozen times to insure that the gun did not fire when this happened!
    At first it did not! And the shim had to be thinned down some more to increase my contact sear area.
    The shim did two things for me.
    1) It reduced take up and travel simultaneously
    2) It smoothed out the pull

I was thinking about a timney.....but price is an isue even on my $300 polish gun.

As a side note I discovered that the front site of an Excalibur crossbow fits in place of the original military hooded post quite nicely. This gives the front site picture a german picket style with a green fiber optic pin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast