Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Buckshot Stacking Question

Boolit Bub

Buckshot Stacking Question

Good evening,

Does anyone here load #1 Buckshot into 12ga? I am contemplating the purchase of another SkiesUnlimited mould in #1 Buck and am looking for information regarding how this size stacks into the shotcup.

The Lyman #5 handbook shows a variety of loads but I'm wondering, does it stack in layers of three, or four? I can see four, only perhaps- if I cut the wad petals but that will likely cause my pattern to spread out..
    Anyone here load it and care to chime in?

Tight patterns are most important as the end use will be engaging big, fat, Lamb fed Eastern Coyotes. I'm looking for energy, pellet count and tight patterns way out to 50 yards- hence the #1 buck.

Thanks in advance.

Banned
    Hello 1 Shot, I just checked my smaller buck shots but I did not have the exact size .30 and my ones measured .311 and I could easily stack 3 per layer in a Fed brown wad and they were a loose fit! Put the wad that you intend to use in hull and see for yourself if you can put four pellets in a layer, the Fed. 12S3 are known to have thinner petals followed by Win 12F114 and then Fed 12C1 nd Win AA, others are thicker!
    I have nothing but good things to say about them, great guy!

Hope it helps.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    VdoMemorie's Blazing Sabot
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
    Good evening,

Does anyone here load #1 Buckshot into 12ga? I am contemplating the purchase of another SkiesUnlimited mould in #1 Buck and am looking for information regarding how this size stacks into the shotcup.

The Lyman #5 handbook shows a variety of loads but I'm wondering, does it stack in layers of three, or four? I can see four, only perhaps- if I cut the wad petals but that will likely cause my pattern to spread out..
    Anyone here load it and care to chime in?

Tight patterns are most important as the end use will be engaging big, fat, Lamb fed Eastern Coyotes. I'm looking for energy, pellet count and tight patterns way out to 50 yards- hence the #1 buck.

Thanks in advance.
    #1 Buck stacks in a wad in layers of three. Your best bet is to use the Claybuster equivalent of the Winchester WAA12R wad and 12 pellets for 1-1/8 load data....

Dan

Boolit Master

I am using some old plastic wads I bought from Herter's in the early 70's. #1 buck stacks perfectly in layers of three. These wads have thick walls. 15 fit perfectly in the 1.5 oz version.

Boolit Buddy
    We shoot a lot of #1 buck at deer here in North Florida.. The factory 3" loads I shoot have 24 pellets, and are very effective out to 50 yards on deer. However, my favorite load for coyote sized critters has always been #4 buck. A cloud of 54 .24 cal balls will take Mr. coyote out pretty quick. I'm not sure that's the load you want if you're selling the hides, though.

I've been having problems getting the premium plated, buffered loads I like to shoot, and have been thinking about trying to load my own. I'd be interested in seeing your results once you've finished working up a load.

Boolit Master
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dixie Slugs
    "I might add that we may put the load in the line as a Dixie Slugs, 12 gauge 2 3/4"1 Buck Special.
    The powder charge is 32 grs (2.8 cc) of Alliant Blue Dot - LBC43mm wad - 16 #1 BPI hard buckshot (stacked two on two) - vel 1220'/" - 10,700 psi.- Cheddite straight walled hull.
    There seems to still be quite a few fine 2 3/4"guns out there! This load's pattern was tested by Joey Saunders out of a Remington 1100 (.690" full choke).
    This load put 8 #1's inside of a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards.
    As I have said before...it does not matter how many buckshot (or shot) is in the load! What does matter is how many buckshot (or shot) it puts into a 10" kill circle at 40 yards.
    This is another load recipe I wil post since it has been pressure tested. We have enough loads posted that have not been pressure tested. The recipe must be followed exact
    Regards, James"

Pressure tested #1B

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    I've been having problems getting the premium plated, buffered loads I like to shoot, and have been thinking about trying to load my own. I'd be interested in seeing your results once you've finished working up a load.
    Have you tried the Dead Coyote #4 buck load?
    They're pricey. I bought some, but have not yet tried them. Their T-buck load is great.