Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!

Boolit Master

A single .600 rb at trap velocity will do the job on deer in these parts.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

gp:

I will be very interested!

Logic says a .458 boolit of 500+ grs. should penetrate deeper than a 12 ga. RB of similar weight. However, there may be a bit of a competition there if the .458 boolit is soft enough to expand and the round ball is hard. Maybe a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but the 12 ga. ball starts out way bigger so is making a bigger hole all the way through.

I'm kinda thinking bear protection. The .45-70 is no slouch even with BP loads but a big hard 12 ga. ball should also be effective and I am thinking in the same league. A soft Foster slug... no, but a solid hard slug or ball, I think so.

I suppose Brenneke has kind of made the point as they penetrate very well.

I may just buy back my old 70's vintage 1895 Marlin yet. Then I could do my own comparison! A friend bought it from me and has hardly used it. He is willing to sell it. I just have limited toy money and large expense lately. Like I am just buying winter tires and wheels for my new to me Sierra 2500 and those tires and steel rims (not alloy!) will cost me $1800.00! Ouch! I would like that gun back though! We'll see. In the meantime I have to get more range time with the Slugster. I shimmed the barrel and haven't even shot it yet! It fits real snug now! Got slugs to test and a bunch of water jugs. Just got to get to it. I'll see how many jugs a 0.678" RB will go though.

Longbow

Banned
    Greetings, A Solid Sphere is one of the strongest 3 dimensional shape, and will crush the heaviest bones without deforming so easily!
    Shoot for the heavy bones in case of a round ball load, you do not get much blood trail with a RB because a RB has a tendency to tear rather than cut a clean round hole, remember that, Brother!

All of you Slug Shooters looking to get into the wonderful world of Round Ball loads, check this chart for fit in wad before you buy the wrong size mold like .690".

Go for .678" Round ball mold instead but sadly Lee does not make one and you are limited to Lyman mold costing almost $100 with handles or $65-70 just the mold.

Hope it helps my fellow shooters.

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Banned
    Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

The only way to communicate loads is through clearly marked pictures, only !
    BS walks.

Those words fell on Deaf Ears !

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Newton was known to say " Give me a place to stand and I can move the World "
    A little refresher course will indeed help us all, including me ! !

Best regards,
    Ajay
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Banned
    Greetings, For all our High Pressure Nitro Express Loaders.
    May God's Grace & Glory be with you all along with his choicest blessings ! !
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Longbow, I've been shooting a .45-70 trapdoor carbine for years, and a normal 405 grain bullet cast of 50/50 ww and lead won't stay inside a deer. It just plows right on through, doing somewhat less damage than you might expect, but still kills very well. I haven't shot aNY thing with a round ball yet, but based on some very unscientific range blasting, it seems the round ball would also probably zip right through as well. Big heavy hardcast boolits are hard to stop. Both loads at 1200 to 1300fps will punch cleanly through a green 12 inch pine log. Those logs are tougher than the deer around here I believe. I've yet to catch either projectile in anything.

Boolit Grand Master
    longbow-

I've had great success with both the 12 ga RB (my Tanner custom mold of .702) and various .45-70 bullets in the 400 gr. + range. My go to for the .45-70 is an old group buy boolit from here many years ago. Casts at about 415 grains and has a good sized meplat. Neither one is pushed very fast and they both consistently yield one shot kills. (Actually, I can't think of an incident requiring two shots). Deer, bear & hogs have fallen to the group buy and, alas, only deer to the 12 ga. RB. If I do my part, I have full confidence either will do just fine.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd certainly like my old .45-70 back but in all honesty I just don't shoot enough anymore to justify it. I have lots of guns that hardly ever get shot. I know... just like women can't have enough pairs of shoes, guys can't have enough guns, but there are budget constraints so I don't get all the toys I want.

I'd have no hesitation in using either .45-70 or 12 ga. with a skookum slug (that's "big" or "tough" in West Coast Salish) for hunting or bear protection. Since I seldom hunt these days I am more of a shooter (occasional shooter as of late) and tinkerer. The tinkerer part of me is curious because I often read that a hard 12 ga. ball penetrates like there's no tomorrow yet a ball has very poor sectional density. So far, my experience with RB's on non critter material is that, that is certainly the case. There's lots of mass there and it just keeps going. I have to think that a hardish 400 to 500 gr. .45-70 boolit launched at similar velocity to a shotgun slug should penetrate farther, though how much is enough? if they both go right on through what they hit the 12 ga. ball is going to make a larger hole.

I would like to shoot both side by side into wet newspaper, water jugs, clay, or whatever to compare though. I do like recovering slugs and boolits! (its an affliction)

I just bought $1800.00 worth of winter tires and wheels for my new to me truck recently so again, toy money is scarce for a bit. I can play with the toys I have though and it is about time I got to the range again! The Slugster needs a workout!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I wish I had a 45-70 to try. This is a very good question. A .735" 12 gauge round ball is about 570 grains. The standard 45-70 bullet was 500 grains. Both traditionally are shot in the 1300 fps range. It would be a fantastic test to see if sectional density is any kind of comparator for such extreme rounds. Personally I don't think the 45-70 bullet would have any significant expansion even cast of 30:1 alloy. Definitely nothing to get it up to .735". Then comes the question, does a round ball cut as wide a hole as a brenneke slug? I'd bet it cuts a bigger hole than a 45-70.

As a tidbit to an upcoming post, I would also like to compare a .780" round ball from a 10 gauge. This sounds like a good winter project.

Banned
    This is for Brother Cary as he is ready to load 20 ga High Power Nitro RB loads:
    Remember, A Solid Sphere is one of the strongest 3 dimensional shape, and will crush the heaviest bones without deforming so easily!
    Shoot for the heavy bones in case of a round ball load, you do not get much blood trail with a RB because a RB has a tendency to tear rather than cut a clean round hole, remember that, Brother Cary!

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Banned
    Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

The only way to communicate loads is through clearly marked pictures, only !
    BS walks.

Those words fell on Deaf Ears !

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Newton was known to say " Give me a place to stand and I can move the World "
    A little refresher course will indeed help us all, including me ! !

Best regards,
    Ajay
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 08:07 AM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

what a great Idea Ajay!!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I have done this,,, cuz I found it in one of Ajays posts a while back. It works great, seals things right up.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    gp:

I will be very interested!

Logic says a .458 boolit of 500+ grs. should penetrate deeper than a 12 ga. RB of similar weight. However, there may be a bit of a competition there if the .458 boolit is soft enough to expand and the round ball is hard. Maybe a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but the 12 ga. ball starts out way bigger so is making a bigger hole all the way through.

I'm kinda thinking bear protection. The .45-70 is no slouch even with BP loads but a big hard 12 ga. ball should also be effective and I am thinking in the same league. A soft Foster slug... no, but a solid hard slug or ball, I think so.

I suppose Brenneke has kind of made the point as they penetrate very well.

I may just buy back my old 70's vintage 1895 Marlin yet. Then I could do my own comparison! A friend bought it from me and has hardly used it. He is willing to sell it. I just have limited toy money and large expense lately. Like I am just buying winter tires and wheels for my new to me Sierra 2500 and those tires and steel rims (not alloy!) will cost me $1800.00! Ouch! I would like that gun back though! We'll see. In the meantime I have to get more range time with the Slugster. I shimmed the barrel and haven't even shot it yet! It fits real snug now! Got slugs to test and a bunch of water jugs. Just got to get to it. I'll see how many jugs a 0.678" RB will go though.

Longbow
    Longbow: I need to let you know why I haven't followed up on these test I said I'd run for you and others. I've been feeling poorly for a while lately and not going to the range much, hope to get to it yet this fall. After three different blood tests the doctor called to day to say "The reason you feel like crap is you have West Nile disease" At least the cancer isn't back. Not much can be done about it , just have to ride it out. More to catch than just bass out there on Snake river. Gp

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I think a Golden Bullet Award is well overdue for Ajay and have said as much by PM to No.1.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Greetings Hamish, You sure have a big heart. Made my day and made me smile with your vote of confidence ! !

Thank you and may Gods Grace & Glory be with you, too.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 10-08-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I think a Golden Bullet Award is well overdue for Ajay and have said as much by PM to No.1.
    I agree. Hats off to Ajay for going above and beyond to help us noobies get on the right track to assembling proper slug and buck shot loads. I have spent hours searching the web for any info to be found on the subject, and nothing comes close to the amount of info contained in his posts.
    Thanks Ajay. Please keep it coming.

Boolit Grand Master

gp:

Not to worry! Take care of yourself first! Good its "only" west Nile virus. That should run its course eventually. Unpleasant I'm sure but you'll beat it.

In all honesty, I have not been out to the range for some time either. I don't have as good a reason though, just busy and other things distracting me. I've got slugs galore cast and ready to go but can't seem to get myself organized to load and get out the the range. Something or other always seems to come up and I just don't get it done! It'll happen though. I'll roll around to shooting again and get out a bunch of times in a row most likely.

Take care, get better and keep us posted.

Longbow

Thanks Kent. I'll get to it, seems like getting out to the range is always the hold up for us in our interests. Always big fun when I finally get to it. Gp

Banned
    Greetings Fastdadio, I sure do appreciate your kind words and you once again made my day, thank you.

You and Hamish really showed how great you are and your Bigness in complementing others ! !

Thank you.
    I started my thread with 24 K Gold information to be transparent and absolutely No BS but every effort was made to offer help to my fellow shooter to be able to put food on their table for pennies a Pop.

Warmest regards,

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast