RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!

Good morning LongBow, The .678 RB in Commander were not shot as non-discarding as you can see very little of the RB being grabbed by the wad and to turn it into non-discarding we need to glue to RB and wad.

Look, how bad the .678 RB fits in the wad:

But the above picture does give us some idea as to which wad takes up more or less hull space, a good rough gauge to judge it.
    I wish I had made this chart to help my fellow shooters, here I removed the petals from the picture to turn it into a measuring gauge kind of crude one:

Can one of my friends here help me get this gauge made with 12 ga clear Federal hull and 50 gr A. Steel powder and insert different wads with say 6 to 10 lbs wad pressure and measure how much hull space is left with each one of these wads like this:

I do not have all my stuff or else I would not bother anyone to do it for me.
    The base wad cavity differs from wad to wad some are more deeper than others.
    This way if one wad does not allow you to properly crimp then from this chart you choose the next best wad ! !
    I don't have any of my stuff here in my newer home, was suppose to have a range on my property. It did not happen as planned ! !
    Man proposes, God disposes ! !

Still miss Pete, Peter Nap, Charles Hanes, A true Patriot and presently leading the fight to keep America from being invaded by the invaders and trying to fight corruption in which fight I too am involved for the last 1 1/2 year 24/7. Cary Hawkins, Carl Lachey, John Papas, Brian Emerson Capps and my little brother Cpileri to name a few.
    Here is a treat for 10 ga slug hunters:

Ajay Madan
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 06-13-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Treat for 28 ga lovers:

Have fun reading.
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 06-13-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, I misread. I thought you had some 0.678" RB's in CSD wads. That is one of my next trials to see how they do. If decent it is quicker and easier than my current hot melt glue method. I'm all for quick and easy!

Longbow

No my friend Longbow, you did not misread it, you indeed have good memory.

We even had done tests after slitting the wad also as well as non-discarding just that I do no longer have access to my three Photo bucket picture accounts, I'm trying to get my results back.

Here is a .600" RB in CSD for 12 ga might be worth your try.

You will need a clean wad cutting tool:

We had so much fun being creative and finding easier ways of doing things.

Yet another treat for 28 ga Nitro Express Slug loaders:

Next we will get into the old reliable Lyman 525 slug in wad with a big maplett:
    With a rifled barrel you can attain 4 inch groups at 100 yards, most deers are shot between 15 to 35 yards and 50 yards being a long shot in thick brush ! !

The first wad on left has two .125" nitro cards below the slug in wad to help raise it.
    Please note under every slug in both the Lyman 525 slug in wad has a .125 nitro card to help support the slug and give it a solid foundation at launch ! !

Have fun reading.

**--** My opinions are my own. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 06-13-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Dear Ajay,
    I believe you have created one of the best informative threads on reloading. Active more than 5 years and still going strong. I would like to inform you that, I highly appreciate your studies and utilize many of your solutions for my Lee Drive Key reloads, except for the powders: since only European powders are locally available. thanks for all the knowledge you share with us reloading community. Kudos.
    Sincerely
    Ahmet Ozalp <aka> StCAt
    'If you are good, you live forever, if you are bad, you die when you die.'
    Benelli M3S90 26''
    Beretta 1301T 18''

Dear Ajay,
    I believe you have created one of the best informative threads on reloading. Active more than 5 years and still going strong. I would like to inform you that, I highly appreciate your studies and utilize many of your solutions for my Lee Drive Key reloads, except for the powders: since only European powders are locally available. thanks for all the knowledge you share with us reloading community. Kudos.
    Sincerely
    Ahmet Ozalp <aka> StCAt
    'If you are good, you live forever, if you are bad, you die when you die.'
    Benelli M3S90 26''
    Beretta 1301T 18''

Good Morning Ahmet, Those are the kind of words that I drive my strength from and kept me going with my research for years.

You made my day, thank you.
    I'm glad my Informative post on reloading is helping some of my friends it was meant for like you, not too many left.

From time to time I find primers lying around my loading bench, here how to identify them.
    Primer identification
    Fed.209A magnum = Silver-Gold
    Fed.209 regular = All Gold
    Fiocchi 616 regular = All Silver
    CCI- 209M magnum = Orangish-Gold

All morning I have been trying to add this information to my post #604 but then I realized I hit the road block with 10 images:

I would prefer using a 1/16 inch nitro card below the slug just to raise
    it a bit more up and the add .125 inch nitro card in the base cavity to
    give it a solid foundation at launch ! !

Imagine what you can do with my favorite 20 ga Nitro Express High Power if you learn to cook your own:

Life is short, Have fun while you are at it !

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 05-12-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks to Ajay and a few others my own work has paid off. I have a very unique c sharps 1885 highwall modified to fire 20 ga slugs with a heavy rifled octagon barrel. 1:20 twist. Using a Lyman 57730 African minie modified to solid base weighing 720 gr. Using bpi csd wads as sabots and 45 gr of h4227, my best to date is 3.25"@100 yds@1268fps. Recoil is pretty stout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180511_163022.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	220303

Name:	IMG_20180512_111803.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	220304

Name:	IMG_20171130_181408.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	220305

If you have issues with projectiles rotating inside your shot cups, dip projectiles in gum rosin dissolved in alcohol. Coat inside only of shot cups/ sabot with same solution and let dry.

Dang that's nice, thanks for sharing.

If I can ever get it to work with black powder (dismal so far) I'm going to petition to use it at bpcr matches

Greetings and welcome to this High Power Nitro Express success story by my friend Appleseedgunsmith hard work and he has finally done it with flying colors. All this time he was working on it I had no clue about his beautiful gun. He started working nonstop and almost daily we exchanged comments and he had almost perfected this load using A. Steel powder.
    We are all in it to win it, learn to cook your own why pay $ 3 to 5 per pop when we can cook it yourself for 20, 30, 40 or even 50 cents a pop. It was very nice that he did not hide or say PM me and then I'll send you the load. We are here to help one another and share ( That is the Nitro Express part of this Forum I'm talking about, our rules and components are way way different than shotshell )
    I'm happy for you and the rest of our friends who can learn from it.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

If there's interest, I will post my chamber dwg. The chamber reamer was designed to cut a rifle type/Taylor throat.

Steve Sexton
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 05-12-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-26-21-33-54.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	220312

My chamber dwg. The chamber reamer was designed to cut a rifle type/Taylor throat.

Steve Sexton

Greetings Steve, please feel free to post the drawings of the chamber to help our Elite Musketeer group of High Power Nitro Express.
    I would love to see the close up of the hull head for pressure and extracter signs.

Do you recall I told you " You are up to something big " early on, you did it and we all can learn from it, now ! !

Best of luck.
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Yes I remember. Edited Post to put in dwg. Photo of case head later....

These things have almost destroyed my backstop, the tires in it, the fence around it, and the tree behind it!

Name:	IMG_20180512_171152.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	220319

Loaded, sabot, primer and case head pic

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast