Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!

Banned
    Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just curious why you are using a solid slug in sabot instead of full bore solid slug for that rifled barrel?

As a comment, I made a mould for Greg Sappington to his specs many years ago for use in CSD wads for rifled 12 ga. but he found that the wads were not made consistently enough to provide good enough accuracy to suit his wants. I have a few CSD wads and I can see what he means. The cup walls are quite uneven in thickness. For smoothbore not really an issue but for rifled gun that will result in off center slug in the bore so essentially unbalanced.

I'd think that Sharps would do just fine with a full bore solid with smokeless or BP.

Longbow

Perhaps it would. I have thought of it, just not wanting to entertain it right now. I did that once in 12 ga. I designed the "bronto bruiser" in the old West molds lineup, and my body has paid for it. Besides, brass cased full bore slugshells are illegal to hunt with in my home state of Ohio.(tho i don't know of any law against it here in tenn ) I originally wanted something to deer hunt with.
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 05-13-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Banned
    Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !

Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to keep weight down to what you have now, which is one skookum slug at 720 grs by the way, you could go with a small diameter hollow base to reduce weight some but retain bearing length.

My thought is that a full bore slug should perform well in a rifled barrel and it eliminates any issues with wads. You can load a full bore slug in plastic hulls so that shouldn't be an issue.

Another option that might work is really thick paper patching. I'd not have suggested it not long ago but one poster here says he gets good accuracy with thick PP in cartridge rifles... like 7mm patched up to .30 cal. You would need to patch to groove diameter so pretty thick patching but easy to do and try. You could simply wrap the slugs you have now with a decent bond paper to get to groove diameter then load and try. That should give you a concentric slug to bore. I'd put a plastic gas seal over the powder then nitro card wads on that to get to crimp height.

Also, with BP and plastic wads you may find that unless you use a soft lube cookie or wipe between shots the BP fouling will be hard on plastic wads. I tried BP in an old single shot 12 ga. many years ago using 0.690" RB's and got horrendous plastic fouling. Not sure if BP flame temperature or hard fouling or both were the cause but it was bad! A soft lube cookie lube helped. BP is hard on plastic hills too. Hmmmm... if you can get 20 ga. paper hulls they should work well with BP.

Interesting gun and project you've got.

Longbow

I've tried paper patching. Haven't gotten good results as of yet.

Attachment 220344

Paper Recovered on range. New bullet. I've tried wrapping/wet and also smearing with glue. No good with black powder. Should try smokeless. This one was smeared with glue and dried. They do hold rifling tho.

Attachment 220351

20 ga powder and wad compression....on 7/8-14 die!

Banned
    Bravo my friend Steve, my hats off to you and your dedication. Please keep up the good work and keep us informed so we too can learn your way of cooking ! !

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    **--**Higher pressures lead to more consistent, cleaner burning
    loads, pressure is our friend.
    **--** My opinions are my own. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 05-17-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder if the very thick patching is the issue? Maybe try slitting the patch from nose part way down to base in say 3 or 4 spots to make "petals" like a slit plastic wad. If it makes it into the rifling then should stay in place until the boolit leaves the muzzle. The petals should open up and help tear the patch off. I certainly wouldn't expect that thick paper patch to turn to confetti like the regular paper patching though but you do want it to separate from the boolit/slug cleanly.

What is the press you are using?

While I am not a 20 ga. guy, what you are doing is much different and pretty interesting. I'll be following your posts.

I can't see why you couldn't use that gun and cartridge in BP matches. Is there a rule on brass only cartridges or certain calibers? If you loaded brass 20 ga. shells shouldn't that be okay? For that matter paper 20 ga. hulls should be period correct for BP.

This is a little different and interesting for sure.

Longbow

The press is a rare Skinner press made by doc Tim Skinner of Skinner sights fame. This one is even more special since it had a 1 1/4" thd top plate.

Rules state American brass ctgs. of black powder era. Originally available loaded with bp. prior to 1896. Guns and ammo typical of era. No jacketed, paper patch ok.

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:52 PM.

I have read some things about rel-17 & aa5744 in slug loads. Gonna try that soon too. Also got shipment of hard waxed 3/8 nitro cards/filler wads. Stacking regular nitro cards 3high has not worked so well for me. Something to try anyways..

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:52 PM.

I believe the circle fly card wads are meant for black powder. I know if you build a wad column for a heavy FB slug using 8 of them the air is full of confetti when you pull the trigger.

BB

I was told by bpi that they don't have the dark ones in 20ga x .125 ......3/8 was as close as they sell, and I was very specific in an email about what I wanted and why.

Banned
    Hello Steve the darker ones come in .170 thickness and are great to give your heavy load a solid base at launch ! !

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Attachment 220716

Dark wads show promise. Same load without dark wads show wadcup base damage when loaded w/no crimp. These loaded with dark wads look good. I was using 3 nitros stacked together.
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 05-19-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast