Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!

Boolit Grand Master

I've been fighting the exact same problem with a custom hollow base slug. They cast perfect, but don't fly straight no matter what. I'm starting to think having that much weight forward is detrimental for a balanced slug. I've seen it on taufledermaus where a hollow base slug that flies like a lazer from a smooth bore, is cork screwing from the rifled barrel. I'd bet mine would shoot good as a plain base, but that would bring them to almost 950 grains.

USMC 77, USRA 79

950 Grains..... Yikes.... couldn’t you modify th pin a bit on your hollow base mold to get it to fill in more? So you could find that happy medium?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    950 Grains..... Yikes.... couldn’t you modify th pin a bit on your hollow base mold to get it to fill in more? So you could find that happy medium?
    Absolutely. Infact, I had mine made with a flat point pin, which seems to trap air. I am thinking of cutting it shorter, and making it a rounded top. If I can just figure out how to get the roll pin out, I'll be on my way. It's pinned in, but the hole isn't all the way through. It's a teeny pin, but I'm thinking of tapping it for something like a #4 screw, then just pull it out. Now that I think of it, I tried chucking it in the lath before, with no luck due to the odd snowmanish shape. I wonder if I couldn't get it in a collet? Nope, no collet. It has the slider pins sticking out the side.

Anyway, looking back, I don't remember why I went with a hollow base. I don't need penetration, I only shoot targets and deer. I should have gone with a giant hollow point. I was trying a design that was long enough to bridge the gap from shell to barrel. With no throat in a shotgun, my hope was this would improve accuracy. I think the best you can hope for in a slug gun is to self align. Thinking now of all the slop that's in a plastic shell, and wadding, it's a lost cause to hope for alignment before the barrel. I have to think a RNFP design has the best chance of alignment, then it's just hoping the rest of the bullet follows.

I'm really starting to consider a Savage 220. A real 12 gauge bullet is just too much.

USMC 77, USRA 79

If you had gone hollow point, wouldn’t it have had a similar balance issue?? Maybe a shallow hollow point?? Or shallow hollow base?? How thick are the walls on the skirt of the hollow base?? Also, how about using a all brass case?? I ordered a bunch of those Rocky Mountain 12G all brass hulls that use normal shotshell components.. I bet that would be a cool way to make it go... just imagine what other folks faces would look like when they see you pull out a 12G all brass case with a big a.z.z bullet crimped in its nose???

Attachment 237509 Attachment 237510

Can you get that pin out with a dremmel somehow??

Sorry AJ for playing in your thread..

Marko
    Last edited by Markopolo; 03-06-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

I've also thought about brass cases, but I've just lost interest, time, and money for the long range slug gun. I never liked rifles much, but the better hunter I become, the more I've come to a appreciate a shotgun, a real shotgun, and have really gotten into revolvers and muzzleloaders. The last two years of regular firearms deer, I left the slug gun, and took the muzzleloader instead.

The Accurate 73-770S shot pretty dang good the last time I tried it. They are a PITA to cast, but I should make more. One of my all time favorites was the Buckbuster slug. I don't know why, but I never tried any other wad slug since. I recently bought a 7/8 oz Lee mold, and that's the next I'm trying.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried the 54 version in a 20 smoothbore? Any difference?

Attachment 237516

This might fit nice in steel wads. Or still too small?

Banned
    Greetings Petander, we had tested the .575 " bullet in steel wad in 20 gauge and it does require a couple of .135 nitro cards of 28 ga to rise the bullet.

The long heavy bullets need the gyroscopic spin to stabilize therefore you will have success with only rifled barrel in 20 ga Nitro Express gun or else it would tumble in flight.

Hoping it helps.
    Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    Wow,575 is reallllly tight in my steel wads at least.

But I'm starting to believe these are too long for a smoothbore,like you said. A candidate for a rifled choke,maybe?

Banned

20 ga .575 RB loads.

Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

The only way to communicate loads is through clearly marked pictures, only !
    BS walks.

Those words fell on Deaf Ears !

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Banned
    Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

BS walks.

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !

Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !

Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure if you guys have seen these videos from Taofledermaus but they tested a Lyman .69 Minie through fully rifled gun, rifled choke tube and smoothbore with amazingly good success:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr9cV2q__Ks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bKg5_iX9A

Most surprising was the smoothbore results. However, I don't think I would want to depend on the smoothbore results without some confirmation. The rifled barrel and rifled choke tube both showed excellent stability of the Minie though so that looks like a viable option.

I have a rifled choke tube ordered and en route as I type! I will try it with a variety of wad slugs and full bore slugs but am leaning towards that 68569 Minie as a heavy slug!

It this works as well for me as it did for Taofledermaus I am going to be wondering just how dumb I am to have spent so much time looking for decent long range accuracy! But I'd rather learn late than not at all!

Interesting videos!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Lol i just want usable hunting accuracy out to abouts 100. That sounds like an interesting idea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.

Boolit Master

Hey Ajay, i dont have a a riffled a barrel. My hunting 12g is a Maverick 88 with 24 inch barrel smooth bore with bead sights. From birds to deer it does it all. Havent been able to dedicate much time to chase slug loads, but i have been following you for a while and have saved all your notes and Fortune Cookies 45LC notes. Lee slug attempts havent been too magical but I have started getting some promisingly results at 25 yards and usable results at 50 yards by cutting out the rib of Claybuster wads, using reduced loads of Blue dot, and using cork to raise the slug ogive to the edge of the cup. I would say 50 yards is my max range.

NOE now makes a slug mold like the Lyman and I have been tempted. Those Rusian molds also look very interesting.

I could look for a riffled Mossberg barrel. But during hunting i want to be able to use buck or slugs reliably without swapping a barrel in the feild. I dream of 100 yards, but thats a goal and realisticle 75 yards would make my day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Boolit Master

Ajay, it's good to see you're posting agai, I was becoming concerned!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast