RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!

Boolit Grand Master

Ajay:

You are really hardcore selling 20 ga.! I must say though a Condor 20 ga. With 22" barrels could be appealing!

I'll probably be stubborn and stick to 12 ga. "Just 'cause!"

We'll see what happens when I can buy a new toy... which might be a used toy (new to me).

Still got slugs to load up and test then decisions to make.

You give me food for thought!

Longbow

I must older and more decrepit than Ajay and LB, I am going to hunt with a 410 slug gun this year.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to hunt with a scaled down gun I hope you are hunting scaled down hogs! Not sure that even a hot .410 has enough poop for one of the big boys! Maybe if you follow in Ed Hubel's footsteps! Lots of slow powder.

Mind you with appropriate loading I'd think .410 could be in the .44 mag ballpark for velocity and payload.

You might be okay after all.

I am pretty old and decrepit myself but I'll keep my 12 ga. I might load it down some but I do like the 12 ga.

Different strokes!

Longbow

LB,

410 is for deer only. I have never seen a feral hog in ohio.

My 410 is launching a 260g LWNFB boolit in the 1500 to 1800 fps range. I hope to have load workup finished in August.

BB

Banned
    Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

The only way to communicate loads is through clearly marked pictures, only !
    BS walks.

Those words fell on Deaf Ears !

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, that should do for deer! That is a substantial .410 load.

I am guessing the gun is rifled? Are you using plastic .410 hulls or brass?

Makes me wonder why factory .410 slugs are so light when birdshot payloads are much heavier. The .410 is a nice little gun and heavier slug would make it much more useful... as you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Yeah, that should do for deer! That is a substantial .410 load.

I am guessing the gun is rifled? Are you using plastic .410 hulls or brass?

Makes me wonder why factory .410 slugs are so light when birdshot payloads are much heavier. The .410 is a nice little gun and heavier slug would make it much more useful... as you are doing.
    LB,

1:22 twist, 5-groove from JES.

A heavier foster slug for 410 would be fairly long and probably not stable from a smoothbore.

I am using metal/plastic hulls. The walls on magtech brass hulls are way to thin to work with a 41 cal boolit.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Not your average .410!

I think I saw a previous thread or post on you getting this gun put together now that I think back.

I'd bet a Brenneke style slug could be much heavier than the standard .410 slugs and work well... but it certainly wouldn't out shoot your rifled gun!

So, enlighten me if you will. you are in Ohio right? Ohio has cartridge restrictions in place still? If memory serves I've heard mention of straight case and limited length?

Does this rifled .410 count as a rifle with straight case or a shotgun? Wouldn't standard hulls be longer than allowable if considered a rifle? But if using shotgun hulls it should be a shotgun. Is any of that a concern? Just curious.

I'll have to look back and see if there are pics of this gun.

Longbow

LB,

I deem it a shotgun but if you found all brass hulls that would work with 41 cal bullet it would be legal for ohio deer as a rifle. Ohio deer regs now allow any length, non-bottleneck cartridge with a 35 cal up to 50 cal projectile. So dust off your 50-140 and I will put you on a good spot for opening day!

The funny part of these regs is it is still illegal in Ohio to use all metal hulls in a shotgun to hunt deer.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

You mean funny strange not funny ha ha I'm guessing.

Yes, it seems odd to me for sure. I understand that these regulations are put in effect because of population and range of firearms but I suspect a 50-140 or 45-120 would shoot far enough to be a concern. Surely cartridges like .30-30 and .35 Remington should be legal on that basis. However, bureaucrats making rules don't have to make sense. They get paid the same whether rules make sense or not.

Not sure why the cartridge should determine the legality of shooting the gun with respect to brass shotgun hulls. Seems to me that when rifled barrels became common for shotguns there was some issue about the rifled guns over .50 cal. but since they were designed to shoot shotgun shells they were deemed okay. So, it shouldn't matter what the cartridge is made of.

We have a different situation here, Shotgun slugs can only be used for hunting animals up to deer and bear. Not for elk or moose. So a smoothbore muzzleloader of .62 cal. shooting a round ball is okay but a Dixie terminator from a rifled 12 ga. isn't allowed for anything larger than deer and black bear. Like I said, they get paid the same whether the rules make sense or not.

Go figure!

Anyway, looks like you have a novel and substantial ".410" to hunt with.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

The reason for shotgun only states, which Minnesota is, was actually for "sporting" purposes, nothing about safety. The only season it affects is regular firearms whitetail deer. Ohio at least gets the option of rifles, Minnesota is one of the last states that still hold on to their shotgun zone. Admittedly the northern half of the state allows rifles of just about any caliber or configuration. Much of southern Minnesota is open farm fields, where a guy with a rifle could/would be shooting hundreds of yards. The idea of the shotgun zone was to give the deer a chance. I think we are many decades since that made sense. Most of the orange army couldn't hit a deer at 200 yards with a rifle capable of 1/2 MOA anyway. I've never hunted an open area like that, but it must be a trip. There are deer stands in the dead center of huge farm fields. I don't really see the point of a deer stand at that point, maybe before harvest. When you can see 5 miles to the next patch of trees, and no deer between, you might as well go in, the deer wont be there until after lunch. At least the Dakota's have grass for deer to hide in. I hunt in the shotgun area, but it's nothing like the southern or far western part of the state. I've never had a shot opportunity past 60 yards yet. Minnesota is very populated, maybe not in shear number, but there is a house every 100 yards. I only know of a few places in the state you can get a mile or more away from people. Because of this, deer will hide in the thickest, nasty stuff. I love hunting swamps. Nothing wrong with slugs, but there are plenty of times buckshot would be a big advantage. Unfortunately it's not legal here, for the same reason's you can't use slugs on big game there. Some wingnut would try and use surplus 4 buck, and just spray and pray well out of range.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 08-02-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Banned
    Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

The only way to communicate loads is through clearly marked pictures, only !
    BS walks.

Those words fell on Deaf Ears !

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been pondering some of the lower cost guns for knock around use but they are lower cost for a reason. For a bear gun I want something that will go bang at least twice when I need it to. No jamming, no feeding problems, not sensitive to dirt, etc. That is one of the appeals of the double barrel gun either side by or over/under. Was thinking about a Stoeger coach gun and may still consider one but I was reading more than one comment about light firing pin strikes so failure to fire. That wouldn't be good with a nasty bear charging or even threatening to charge. Easy enough to check that firing pins are making deep enough dents in primers and possibly rectifying it if they aren't but still...

Yes, I like that H&R in .44 mag. and 12 ga. slug other than it doesn't look like a heavy slug barrel but they are not available anymore and even if Bud's had one they won't likely export it for me.

Nothing is ever easy! Even when it should be!

Longbow

I have some Federal .410 slugs that are 125 gr and running 1775 fps!

That is above most .357 Magnum loads.

I also have a bunch of Thug Slugs I got from BPI that are 125 gr with attached wads so they should be relatively accurate. I have a bunch of .444 Marlin brass cases I'd load those into.

I think these would be superior to a revolver for most shooters, as most shooters don't really have the skill to take a game animal with a Revolver.

A small .410 shotgun, (Mine is an M6 Scout) would be preferable.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Longbow. I've been looking over the possibles since this thread started and I think you might have a good idea for your bear gun. The double barrel makes sense to me. Maybe a cut down version like the popular 12ga pump guns for home defense only an over-under on a good sling. As quick as a bear charges you'll likely not get off more than the two shots after you're sure the charge isn't a bluff. Good quick heavy buckshot, slug double should settle the matter. Gp

Boolit Master
    My wife has a 20-year-old Stoeger 20 ga hammerless coach gun that she shot hundreds of rounds through in over 10 years of a couple SASS cowboy shoots per month with no light strikes. Last year just for the heck of it I bought a set of the aperture rear, fiber optic front turkey sights that clamp to the barrel rib. Got them at Wally World after season at closeout prices. At 25 yards the gun puts 3" slugs two inches apart to the point of aim. Just dumb luck, I know, but I'd sure like to find a 12 ga that shoots just like it. GF

Banned
    Have fun comparing the very best:

Top 10 Slug Guns For Deer Hunting
    https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/bi...-deer-hunting/

Best Slug Guns: OL Picks the 15 Best Shotguns for Deer Hunting
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...s-deer-hunting

5 Best Slug Gun Options Ready For Deer Season | Gun Digest
    https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Boolit Grand Master

Gray Fox:

I have been leaning toward the Stoeger 12 ga. Supreme Coachgun if I go new. If I can find a decent used Stoeger coachgun or full length (I can cut barrels down to 20") I'd likely buy it and try it. They aren't too pricey. I like side by's but an over/under should be just as effective for the purpose. Having read about light firing pin strikes I'd be checking that ti make sure I was getting dependable ignition. There's not much to go wrong with or worry about on a double barrel gun... no feeding issues and little in the way of things to jam, break or get out of adjustment.

Longbow

I took a Stevens 311 and cut the barrels off to 20" with the intention of building a double rifle style gun. The gun came out looking good but it didn't shoot very well and the Stevens design has some major design flaws that make it difficult to open after firing. It doesn't retract the firing pins until the barrels are open about an inch or so.

That gun shot about 18" apart at 50 yards so I sold it.

After working on two of those guns I came to the conclusion they are as close to pure junk as anyone ever produced. No attention to internal detail whatsoever. No deburring of any of the internal parts and made as cheaply as possible. Took hours to detail everything and even then it wasn't all that. Nothing there to work with!

Plenty of other S by S Shotguns out there and I'm sure most of them are regulated much better than the Stevens and certainly better quality.

The Stoeger Hammerless Coach gun looks promising.

HOWEVER!!! Going to a Defensive Shotgun Class and really learning how to run a pump action shotgun will reveal that you can fire two, 3 or four, 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 shots, almost as fast as a Semi Auto can be shot. I can routinely clear a plate rack with 6 targets in 6-7 seconds with my M500. Just did it again 3 weeks ago. Once you learn to "ride the recoil," you are on your way to faster follow up shots.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    So many great choices on my post 692 the Mossberg over & under for $400 to 500 and be sure to get the 8 inch longer rifled choke for it.
    $271 just look at it, my mouth is watering to get it, looks so good and tempting ! ! https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...ategory=233321
    $249 have a good look here: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...ortby=ourPicks
    $219 Mossberg pump https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...ategory=233321
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast