MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!

Boolit Grand Master

Of those I suspect only the Mossberg Maverick is available in Canada. I've not seen the Dickinson or Silver Eagle which are both Turkish and likely built in the same factory.

I've considered the Maverick for bear use but wonder about reliability. Maybe not the be all end all but I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy so double action bars sound good to me which I understand the maverick does not have. Maybe no big deal and I have not shot one so no first hand experience. The prices are attractive though and for a knock around gun as long as it is reliable there is not much more to ask of it.

The jury is still out. However, I find I am becoming jaded towards the new Remingtons. Go figure. I think Mossberg 500/590 or ? is rising up my list. Actually the Mossberg 535 3 barrel combo is quite high on my list and thats why I asked about 3 1/2" chambers and slugs thinking 2 3/4" or 3" hulls in 3 1/2" chambers. They are a nice combo and good price... and available in Canada!

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 09-29-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling

I haven't looked for myself Longbow but will the 3 1/2 Mossberg receiver work with shorter chambered barrels. If something like that would work a man could have a goose gun, pheasant gun and 20" slug gun all with just one receiver. Gp

Ajay: my M500 HD gun cost me $160 used. It was an older field gun with a 28" bbl and wood furniture. I had the 18"barrel and mag off my Tac Gun which I installed then bought Magpul Furniture for $110 sold the 28" bbl and furniture for $150 so now I have $120 in the gun! I am going to send the barrel to Hans Vang for Backboring and Porting so I'll be into the gun $325 when done.

That's $325 for a Custom M500! and anyone can do this because nothing I did was even remotely hard to do.

Cutting a Shotgun barrel off isn't very hard and if you don't have the tools to do it a gunsmith shouldn't charge more than 1/2 hour labor to do it. The ones I have done have literally been,,, cut the barrel with a band saw and face them on my Belt Sander and hand chamfer the inside of the barrel . We're talkin' a good solid 5-7 minutes here!

Longbow has some skills and some tools so I know he could do this too, and this would be a good project that would get him familiar with the internal workings of a M500 which is a pretty simple gun. There is like 5 internal parts plus the Trigger Group which comes out as a unit. The hardest part is getting the screw in the safety back into the little part inside that blocks the trigger.

Once you deburr the safety parts and install a steel safety button, and knock the sharp edges off the action bars and bolt and bolt lock you are done. With a small amount of Vaseline for lube the gun will run really smooth, and be a joy to shoot.

None of this is even challenging to do, and this is no longer directed at LB but to anyone who wants a Defensive Shotgun that will be reliable and a joy to shoot. It is simple work and if you can operate Sand Paper and a File you can do it. The other benefits are understanding how the gun works and pride in a job well done which is a big plus unto itself.

I might add that doing this to a new gun will cutdown on the break in of the gun by several hundred rounds. The new ones have all the sharp edges that any of the others have, and they are fresher.

Here's pics of both my guns with the mods I did and they both run perfectly and shoot where they are aimed.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-29-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

The only way to communicate loads is through clearly marked pictures, only !
    BS walks.

Those words fell on Deaf Ears !

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Ajay: I have a question,,, The Lyman 525 slugs appear to be .681-3 in diameter. The WAA12 wad petals are .030-.035 thick. That comes out to .740-.750ish?

Will the petals on that wad compress enough to allow the slug to pass thru a .732 muzzle without shearing them off?

The barrel on my M500 has been modified by Vang Comp. Their process goes like this. The Forcing Cone has been lengthened to 3" and the barrel "Back Bored" to .745. and ported. Then the last 2" are choked back down to .732

Even my .662 round balls in these wads are a tight fit thru the muzzle and require pressure to push thru. .020 more seems like it will be destructive to the wad, and then accuracy?

I see in your first pic above that the Lyman Slug with the WAA12 wad was .733 OD, and I could live with that.. Was the Lyman Slug you used smaller than .681? or were the wad petals thinner than .030-.035?

Looking to go down the Lyman slug road but don't want a bunch of other components laying around.I have thousands of WAA12 wads for reloading my Trap Loads.

Since you have already been down this road and actually documented everything, I figure you would know for sure what is going on.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Banned
    Go ahead show me just " One " post any where on the entire net offering as much pure 24 carat gold as I shared in every single post of mine,

* * * *No reason, Why would any one post a reply to any post unless you have far better ideas to add to it , Why come here to BS ?

For years I begged " Give me the choice to add more pictures here as those images are my ways of communication, so as to avoid accidents from happening !

BS walks.

Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !

Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    If I start a new post and say " My Ass is itching " they the BS artist will jump on the opportunity to copy and paste their message !

Can no longer justify spending any more of my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Ajay: I guess the best I can do is find a Lyman Slug and see how it fits in my barrel and with the wads I have in house. I'm not beyond buying more wads, since they are cheap. You've given enough info from your extensive research so that I should be able to figure it out.

As far as 12ga. goes you should get yourself a TC Encore and then you can change out barrels to do whatever you want. They have barrels for every caliber known to man, and their Rifled Shotgun Barrels are excellent.

Randy

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Ajay: So you beat me to the TC Encore!

I emailed Miha to see if his slug mould dropped a little smaller than the Lyman. Haven't heard back from him yet.

I know he could make it any dia I wanted I just hoped that if he had stock it wouldn't be an Exact Clone of the Lyman mould.

One question about the Lyman Slug WAA12 combo,,, Was your measurement taken right at the top edge of the wad where the wad petals are the thinnest? If so that might work as advertised.

Randy

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Banned
    Greetings, my High Power Nitro Express loaders.
    Its high time we learn to cook our own at a much cheaper price for our favorite 20 ga Nitro Express.
    A. First we need to order Lee double cavity .575 RB mold from MidSouth Shooters for around $20
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ound-ball-mold
    B. Then order Trap Commander 20 ga wads from BPI
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Co...tinfo/020TC20/
    C. Order 20 gauge 3 inch Fiocchi hulls from BPI too on sale, be on the look out for sale prices.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fi...tinfo/0642030/
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fi...tinfo/0642020/
    D. Order .135 Nitro cards of 28 gauge from Circle Fly at a much cheaper price and double the quantity.
    https://circlefly.com/products
    Let's get back to work now:

You must aim for solid bones as RB has a tendency to spread the muscles instead of cutting a clean hole for easy blood trail ! !

Mind you these are Hot Hunting loads and very deadly ! !

Once you have mastered the above loads then its time for Heavy hitters that will kick too like a mule. Use caution and use your common sense.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...2-m-58-caliber

When loading 20 ga Nitro Express loads they do tend to buckle, this plastic tube for support came from Home Depot:

The Federal 3 inch hulls are the very Best and once you have your load testing done then just switch over to Federal for hunting
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fe...info/0622030B/
    **-**Caution for the Federal hulls will not show No pressure sign or extraction mark so not recommended for load testing, just Hunting with no problems ! !

I wish you the very best and each load will cost you 20 to 30 cents and the starter loads are Great fun to teach your kids and spouse to learn to shoot, do it my friend and report back for I'll be waiting to hear about your experience and please share with the rest ! !

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-04-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Attachment 228733Attachment 228734Attachment 228735Attachment 228736Attachment 228737
    Ajay those round ball loads are great, I load mine with 3 28ga nitro under ball and 1 in the base on top of 34grs of blue dot, I swap the primer with a federal 209a, fiocchi 3" hull, 6pt crimp, awesome round thanks for sharing, trap commander wad.
    the photos are what I picked up at a estate sale for 35.00 bucks, Mec super 600, are the CCI primers magnums? Wish i still loaded 12ga, anyway I could not pass on the box lot, hope all is well. HC

P.S. The Hulls are original Winchester AA, dont know how many, 400 500 I'm guessing.

Hatcreek: Original AA hulls are some of the best ones ever made. A friend gave me about 700 of them a few years ago and they have eben reloaded 6-8 times and are still going strong. I have relegated them to 3 gun loads now as they are getting long in the tooth and I can't pick them up at a 3 gun shoot.

I load my Pumpkin balls right into my standard trap load with 1/4' felt cushion under the ball and the crimp closes perfectly. No more recoil than my normal trap load and I can shoot 200 in one day with only a Tee Shirt over my shoulder.

You scored big and should put that stuff to use.

Randy

Banned
    Greetings brother HatCreek, good to hear the .575 RB load is indeed working wonders for you.
    It makes me feel happy for you.
    Watch out for some of them are Hot ! !

That's the way ha ha I like it ! !
    **--** Caution Do not load the ones written in Red ! !
    ( Not tested yet )

We all need to learn to cook our own.

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-04-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Banned
    Greetings, Alliant Steel is indeed a great powder and widely used successfully by many loaders ! !

The BRI loads were not loaded very fast yet the shape and design was very efficient but imagine had it been loaded faster . . . .

As opposed to deeper rifling:

Don't forget to polish your forcing cones:

Put it in a drill and get rid of those nasty rough tool marks for a smoother launch ! !
    That foam came from the shirts that I bought.
    Just thinking out loud.
    Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-04-2019 at 06:08 AM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Good morning AJay..

I need to tell you how much I appreciate your posts. You have been posting here for a long time, and your posts are visual, complete, and completely educational. Your willingness to share and unselfish attitude are an inspiration if you ask me. You have inspired me many times to try various thing, and was very thankful when you were reinstated. What a blessing you are to our group
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

BS walks.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-31-2021 at 07:38 AM.

Banned
    Greetings, old article but none the less you will enjoy reading it and who knows what you will learn from it:
    State-Of-The-Art Sabot Slugs: Winchester’s Partition is Golden
    https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/12_...l#.W9nHbpNKiM9
    https://cdn.gun-tests.com/media/pdfs/12-10-A_CData4.pdf
    Come back and let hear your views.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    www.BlazingSabots.com
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
    http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/ ... wforum.php
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ot!/page1
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=470417
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961
    http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!

PS: The above information is only for my Elite Musketeer Group only so I quietly keep adding more and more to the same post loading it with pure 24 carat Gold,
    I'm not looking to increase my post count, just add more helpful information to help my fellow Brother put meat on the table for pennies a Pop ! !
    **--** You all know who all supported me now its payback time, I'm supporting you.

Boolit Master

Roll Crimp versus Fold Crimp

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post

** Roll crimping produces lower pressures due to less resistance from the roll crimp.

11. A fold crimp will further enhance ignition as the pressures are known to be much higher with fold crimp, you also need a bit less powder this way!
    These are oft repeated generalizations that, like so many in the shotshell world, are not necessarily so. Particularly in a shotshell world dominated by one piece plastic wads.

In most side by side comparisons that assert lower pressure for roll crimped shotshells, the same load is assembled in hulls of the same unfired length. Naturally, the longer overall loaded length of the roll crimped example is usually not mentioned. In reality the pressure difference is more a matter of available loaded case volume than crimp type.

Probably one of the best one sentence summations can be found on page 38 of the BPI 4th Edition Buckshot Manual:

"A well made roll-crimp will produce about the same amount of back-pressure on a load to generate near the same PSI reading of a fold crimp."

I trust this helps.

RMc

Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast