RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!

Boolit Grand Master

Jeremy:

That is a nice looking gun! I have been thinking along the same lines but I really like side byes... its an affliction! However, I have also been looking at O/U's too with the same goal.

I live in bear country and bear populations are growing. We have both black bears and grizzlies so it pays to pay attention and have at least bear spray... or better a substantial gun.

Since double guns have been the choice of dangerous game hunters in Africa and India for many years. I have to think one would serve me well too. I think it is quite true that if a bear charged it would be unlikely a guy would get off more than two shots with a pump gun anyway and a side by or O/U is faster and no change of FTF. At close range my worst loads would be accurate enough as well. In fact two round balls would ruin pretty much any critter's day as long as I did my part anyway!

The screw in choke tubes is a nice feature and one I wish they'd put on the Maverick. Having the ability to put on a rifled choke tube (which hopefully works) or a tight turkey choke tube for Tri-Ball loads is a really nice option. I'd think Tri-Ball loads would make excellent bear defense loads too. Maybe even better than a single ball or slug. A guy could get the Maverick reamed and tapped but it costs money and no-one locally does the work so if I got one I'd have to send it out.

There was a short barreled side by with screw in choke tubes too... I haven't seen ads lately though. That would be my first choice.

Longbow

Banned
    Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !
    Did they confront him and kick his Ass, No !

This forum was once home to Super Blazing Sabots
    Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !
    Who wants to live in a BS home !

Very very few honest caring friends here, may be 4 to 5 !

All the Chrono's are banged with Sabots, screens busted !
    Can no longer justify spending my money as I did before and for whom !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Banned
    Now this guy Red River Rick was made a Moderator to on purpose set up a fight with me by those jealous, had nothing to offer in a world I was offering pure 24 carat gold ! !

Things sure changed when BS artists started gaining grounds here, they had nothing constructive to offer but BS.
    You see these BS artists respond to bogus after bogus posts with the same message time after time, since when have we all gone Blind and don't even See them, who they are !

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I do like that Paradox rifling! That is more or less what I plan to produce with my rifled choke tube... if and when I get back to it. I'm trying! I've been rethinking how to get it all done since I don't currently have a gun tapped for choke tubes and no local source to ream and tap. Brownells has a silver solder on choke tube adapter that I will order shortly then a blank of very tight turkey choke tube I can bore then rifle... slow twist with deep wide grooves.

If it works then my quest is over! If not then I guess I have to go fully rifled gun. I do like smoothbores though. To each his own!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I do like that Paradox rifling! That is more or less what I plan to produce with my rifled choke tube... if and when I get back to it. I'm trying! I've been rethinking how to get it all done since I don't currently have a gun tapped for choke tubes and no local source to ream and tap. Brownells has a silver solder on choke tube adapter that I will order shortly then a blank of very tight turkey choke tube I can bore then rifle... slow twist with deep wide grooves.

If it works then my quest is over! If not then I guess I have to go fully rifled gun. I do like smoothbores though. To each his own!

Longbow
    Longbow how about an Italian side by side slug gun with one barrel smoothbore and the other with paradox rifling?

http://www.rfmarmi.it/prodotto.php?idp=8

There is one for sale in Canada ... I believe ... but it is listed for CAD $2500.- ....

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah... that's a little more than my budget will bear! Maybe not a bad price for the gun but... I won't be buying one any time soon. Way better price than an H&H Paradox gun though! I'd have to sell my house to buy one of those!

I've been looking at both the Remington and Mossberg slug guns and pondering. Maybe in a bit. They are closer to my toy budget anyway.

Longbow

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks longbow. I still owe away and od barrel measurement. Tried a handful of buckshot chokes. Including Carlson coyote and xxf ported turkey choke. All the way down to improved cylinder. Turns out plain modified gives the best pattern. However the carlsons coyote gave much better patterns when installed on my 870. No slugs fired yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Brother Longbow, there is a time for everything in our life, when your time comes you will have your dream gun, A Nitro Express.

I was very fond of PC OP wad in 12 ga. they were tight so I helped myself by flaring up the hull with a plier and half a twist:
    We do anything and everything to help ourselves, don't we:

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    I recently picked up one of the "Ultimate Primer Punches" from Creative Reloading Solutions and while I never experienced what he refers to as "Crash" I do find I like the primer pocket swagging and the adjustable mouth flaring. When trying to get more life from some once fired Fiocchi hulls I ran them past a homemade hull re conditioner to open them up a bit from a roll crimp and then when they hit that UPP in the press they really open up and the wads slide right in. For a $35 part I was quite impressed and while I never really noticed any issues prior to owning one, I certainly can tell a difference now that I have one. Great little item that your linesman reaming reminded me of.

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Greetings Faustus, Its right before 11500 psi and knowing the hulls weakness helps us gauge the pressure far better.
    The Federal hull are made so strong that you will end up seeing no pressure sign until its could be too high.
    The good side is once you have your load testing done with the Fiocchi hulls by switching to Federal hulls you are ready for the hunt.
    Better to work with a known devil than an unknown devil ! !
    Ajay, just wondering what Fiocchi hulls you have tested this with? Or does this apply to any Fiocchi hull?

Also, when you switch to the Federal hulls did you use those with a Fiocchi 616 primer or the Federal 209A one. It is my understanding that the Federal 209A is much hotter than the Fiocchi one ... so, switching to a hotter primer would increase pressure .... right??
    Last edited by faustus; 04-01-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Ajay ... yes that helps a lot.

I have a bag of new primed Fiocchi 16mm green hulls

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fio...tinfo/0641230/

And I also have 2 bags of new primed Federal hulls ...

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fed...tinfo/0621230/

If I understand you right you developed your load with the Fiocchi hulls primed with a Federal 209A primer. And that would make sense ... switching out the hulls (and not the primers) only will not cause any difference in pressure ...

I think I will follow in your trail ... I will test my long range buckshot load in the Fiocchi hulls.

Ajay, thanks for sharing all that valuable information ... and for blazing the trail. Much appreciated.

Boolit Master

Well faustus, since you have the Fed hulls, here is my best buckshot load of literally dozens I've tried, including factory. Detailed loading info and pics. HARD shot is mandatory.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hot-PERFECTION!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Well faustus, since you have the Fed hulls, here is my best buckshot load of literally dozens I've tried, including factory. Detailed loading info and pics. HARD shot is mandatory.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hot-PERFECTION!
    Hogtamer, thanks for sharing ... much appreciated.

And very nice!! I like it!! You are the man of perfection!!

If I can come up with a load that shoots a pattern like this from an IC barrel, then I will be more than happy .... we will see ...

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Your the best Ajay, thanks for all your hard work and info, the .575 round ball load is my go to hunting round, very accurate and deadly on whitetails in Wisconsin, I prefer blue dot, but going to try sr7625, and herco, also have a few pounds of Hi Skor 800x would like to give that a shot, ha ha no pun intended, thanks again for all your hard work. Regards HC

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ajay:

Just looking at your 0.575 RB's in shotcups. Those look good! Does that wad stay attached? Just curious.

I've put together some 0.662 RB's in CSD steel shot wads (12 ga.) and they are a perfect fit. Not sure why I didn't try this before as Greg Sappington told me about an article he'd read about using 0.662" RB's in steel shot wads in a rifled gun and the wad stayed attached. Apparently velocities were high and accuracy good.

Mine weigh a bit under 1 oz. in range scrap. I cut the unslit CSD wad down to suit a ball on top of two 1/8" nitro card wads. It is a nice package and easy to make. If it works out for my smoothbore I think I will order a couple of bags of CSD wads and forget glue skirts.

It turns out that one of my slugs from home made mould also fits perfectly in those CSD wads. It is a TC design with bore diameter nose and solid reduced shank and looks like a mini Hammerhead slug in that wad!

Greg also told me that a slug he designed and mould I made for him for discarding wad in rifled gun worked well in the CSD wad (unslit). I tried a few of those but left the cut full depth and used about 4 nitro card wads. They flew head on but I can't recall if accuracy was good (so probably not).

I cast up and saved a few of those slugs then sent the mould. Greg sent me some of his slugs and a handful of CSD wads I had forgotten I had. Time to try them.

Anyway, your 20 ga. wad slugs with .575" RB's look very similar so I'm wondering if the wad stays with the ball and how they shoot?

I've got an archery shoot this weekend so no slug shooting for me for at least a week but I'll get them loaded and tried shortly. Range report to come!

Longbow

Banned

Bye for now.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-29-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

How was accuracy with those 0.678" RB's in the non-discarding sabot? I have a soft spot for large round balls!

Longbow

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast