RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading 444 marlin what weight boolit?

Boolit Buddy
    I've been hearing a lot of praises on the LEE 310. The ballistic coefficient is higher than anything else I've seen in that calibre. I know it will shoot through a broadside elk when launched from a 44 mag: Buffalo Bullet +P+. I need to cast up some 265 RDs, shoot some piggies and see if the boolits pass through. That mould should be here tomorrow. (Happy noises)
    Jeffrey

Boolit Buddy
    RD 265 arrived today, scrubbed it out. Had to stop myself from heating it up this evening. Can't wait to pour the silver stream.

"Moderator Emeritus"

I sure like mine. I'll be casting up a year or so's worth in the next couple days. I either need to buy a couple thousnd GC or get hold of Pat and order a checkmaker set up. decesions ,decesions.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master
    HI.
    I forgot to mention that I was shooting those 2 bullets in a Marlin 444 as the OP stated he was using. Mine had the micro groove rifling. Also I was able to get standard jacketed bullet velocities with IMR 4198, with the cast bullet.
    Bet the RD 265gr. gc would be even better.
    Wish I still had that rifle, barn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I cast some pure lead 265 RDs, going to slug my barrel as soon as I find my caliper . You know the old rule, you find an expensive tool as soon as you buy a new one. I have the following powders that could be good for driving it: H322, AA2230, IMR 4895 is listed for lighter boolits, but is not on the recommedded by Ranch dog list. I also have a good supply of Bullseye, Unique, and more Green dot and Herco than I know what to do with. My rifle is a H&R single shot with conventional rifling.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I can't imagine that you will be at all disappointed with the Ranch Dog Mould you bought. Friends her have sent me some of his boolits (thanks again Leadmelter) and they are "fine". If you want a plinker you might try the Lee 200 grain Round Flat over 10-12 grains of almost any pistol powder in the 444. I have used 231 W, Red Dot, and 700X all with stellar results. Velocities are in the 44 Mag pistol range. I too hate to throw a 300 grain Gas Checked slug at beer cans for practice. I have a four cavity, 166 grain LBT PB mould that drops an ogival wadcutter. I have found that it's a hoot to shot. 13 grains of RedDot got close to 1700'/s where it started to spread out. It doubles as a light weight pistol boolit too for use in a light weight pistol.

Boolit Master
    The advantage of throwing a 300gr boolit at a tin can is getting to REALLY know your rifle and just where it hits.

I'm pretty much a one boolit/bullet for one firearm person, feeling it is not wise to be switching around on a hunting rifle.

I shoot 465gr boolits from my 45/70 and don't switch around.

I hear lots of good about the Ranch Dog boolits, but am not a tumble lube person and shy away from Lee molds in anything short of the 6 cavity size.

Am I correct in thinking that the Ranch Dog boolits are all tumble lube????????

CDOC

Boolit Buddy
    Borrowed a caliper from a coworker, drove two pure lead slugs through the barrel, measured them, ordered a Lee sizer kit and gas checks. The pure lead slugs cast large: up to .433. I've been looking on this site, but haven't been able to find good information on how much pure lead vs. wheel weight alloy shrink on freezing. I'm hoping to be able to tumble lube and load without sizing. The pure lead slugs are too fat to do that.

"Moderator Emeritus"

What dia. did the bbl. slug ? Cast some up out of the alloy you are looking to use and compare those to your slugged dia. If they are + .001 or .002 bigger go for it. To big isn't a problem, to small usualy is.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master

I use the RD TLC432-300-RF in my Marlin 444T and my Contender Super 14. The bullet and the cartridge perform well in both.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Bub
    I used the lee 310 on deer. With a full load of 4198 it is really too much power. Penetration is complete no matter the angle, any bones hit explode and destroy too much meat. Great bullet, just too fast. I am now loading a RD 300 that is dailed back to around 1800. No deer yet. Both molds shoot very well.

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    you wont regret getting the RDO mold. Once you get the hang of using a 6 holer, you wont use anything else. Lottsa bullets in not much time.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I always have to show my favorite boolit in 444 Marlin for my Lone Eagle!
    Last edited by seagiant; 08-15-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.