Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bulk 22lr ammo

Boolit Master
    I must have been lucky and got a good batch Of Federal bulk packs. mine are over 10yrs old now, maybe I should buy one now and check quality.

Boolit Master

Federal is my normal go to brand for my Marlin 60 and Ruger 22/45. Tried some Winchesters but the bullets had obvious dings and dents which can't be good for accuracy. The Remingtons were the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot, 100 rounds were dirtier than an entire brick of the others, also had some of the worst jams with it. Never have more than a few duds (sometimes none) per brick of anything, and they always fire second time around.

Boolit Master
    The federal auto match has proven the most consistent for ignition and accuracy in the various .22's that I've shot it through.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I've shot a lot of the Federal bulk packs, but my favorite bulk is the CCI Blazer. I really would rather shoot CCI standard velocity followed by CCI mini-mags, but they get expensive just for shooting tin cans. They are what I do all my small game hunting with though.

Boolit Mold
    Durned if I know. Every .22 I have seems to prefer a different kind of ammo. Just picked up an ex-raffle 10-22 Target, and it shoots Thunderbolt great, doesn't like Blazer, and despises CCI Standard. Go figure. It wouldn't feed a hollowpint if it was gold-plated. I don't understand what women want either.

Boolit Buddy
    Wish I could find some auto match locally. I use Federal bulk HP's or CCI Blazer in the 10X50 brick. Both shoot well. The only bad bulk I've run across is Rem (surprise) 'Golden Bullet'. Quite a few duds, respectable accuracy though.

Federal Bulk
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
    I still stand by my statement that Ben is a good man.
    WWW.CALGOUGERS.NET

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Quite a departure from the Vegas hot tub- aircraft pilot jet set, limo night on the town with the ho ho's.

Federal Auto-Match all the way. Only place I've seen it is Walmart. $15 for 350.

No, not as cheap as the Winchester or Federal Champion bulk, but makes up for it in consistency, performance and velocity every time.

The word around town is that it is from the same production line as Fed. Gold Medal Match .22 ammo. They run it all through a laser eye and the rejects become Auto-Match.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgehammer001 View Post
    I won't touch 'milk-carton' ammo again! The last stuff I bought was 1in 10 duds. From Winchester, Federal AND Remington. Through both my Marlin #60 and my 10-22. Didn't even bother trying it through anything else. Gave the rest to my Bestie, and bought Remington Thunderbolt and Gamegetter in a true brick. No problems since.
    That being said, I have NOT tried Winchester M22 ammo yet. I wrote emails to Rem and Fed both.They told me bulk ammo is exactly the same as 50/boxed. I have never had a dud in 50/boxed ammo, as far back as I can remember. SO, something is fishy in Denmark! Therefore I stick to 50/boxed.
    Jon
    I've shot my share of the Federal & Winchester bulk box ammo & have yet to have a problem with it. Honestly I can't remember a dud & that's shooting the stuff through 4 different 22s. Now the Remington Bulk ammo is another story. I still have part of a box I bought about 5 years ago that I finally just put to one side planning on using it if the situation ever got bad enough. Remington should be ashamed to put out such a sorry product!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Rick, if the situation ever got bad enough, I would not want to depend on the batch of Rem you have. Use it up now, be done with it, and replace it with something dependable. Just thinkin...
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Rick, if the situation ever got bad enough, I would not want to depend on the batch of Rem you have. Use it up now, be done with it, and replace it with something dependable. Just thinkin...
    Could not have said it better myself. Whether subsistence hunting or S.D. you do not want to miss or malfunction because of cheap ammo.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

For the past few years Federal Auto Match has become my bulk ammo choice , after useing about 4,000 rounds I started to have some under powdered loads from a few cartons that i bought last summer but the newer & older lots that i have are ok .
    They are accurate and function well in all of my guns reguardless of the type.
    But i also have a good supply of CCI std velocity, I buy the 50 round card board box #0035
    500 round bricks, its at least $50.00 less a case of 5,000 than the plastic 100 rd packs ,but its the same ammo , it is made for export use as they cant ship plastic , or thats the story i heard

Boolit Mold
    The winchester M22 is definitely growing on me. It feeds reliably in everything even my P22

In Remembrance
    If you really are just plinking tin cans, and don't care about duds and light pops, most anything is 'good enough' (a term I try never to use).
    But, the day-in and day-out favorite .22LR cartridge among American shooters is the CCI MiniMag 40 grain solid.

It is clean burning, reliable (In thirty years I have never had a misfire), and consistently accurate.

You know it's the most sought after ammo because, in the large quantity offerings, it ALWAYS sold out. It takes some kind of miracle to get in on a shipment before it's gone.

Felix said a group buy was possible, and a thread was started. But it died due to (I dunno) lack of interest, or something ...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I like the Federal bulk stuff in my rifles and handguns. For better accuracy I step up to the Federal Automatch. Really nice stuff.
    Gunsmoke4570

Boolit Bub
    In my rifles I have had excellent results with the Fedearl bulk pack copper washed HV HP ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    CCI Blazers have been consistent performers.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I bought a case of bulk Blazer back in the fall and finally got to the 100 yd range today. It has shot very well in all my handguns and to 50 yds on my home range but I wanted to see how it did at 100 yds. Today was calm and warm so I took my 70's Browning T-bolt with a 4 power scope on it. I shot two 10 shot 100 yd groups of 2" and 2 2/4" so I'm happy with it, better than I expected. Pretty decent ammo for $1.61/ 50 delivered!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Followup to my post #5:

Finally got a box of Federal Auto Match. Had to go by Champion Shooters Supply to get it - none of the stores near me have it.

Weight evaluation is pretty promising - out of 325 rounds only eight fell outside the range of 51.3 to 51.6 grains. Five of those were 51.8 grains, the other three were 51.2 or less. This compares quite well with Mini Mags. Maybe it really is match ammo that didn't quite make the grade, as someone here has suggested.

Range evaluation will have to wait until I get to Idaho in June.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold at Heaven's Range
    Seems like I am in the majority here, Federal Automatch is about as good as U can get for Bulk stuff, We used to shoot a match called "Tube Fed", any tube fed 22 LR was legal. Everyone shot ammo out of the same box of Automatch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast