RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inherited a Marlin 336

Inherited a Marlin 336

Thought I'd show you all a rifle I just inherited. It's a marlin 336sc in 35 remington. I had a 336 rc 30-30 about 5 years back but ended up selling it here on the forum. I have to say I love the look of the half mag tube on this. It's a 1952 J prefix serial number. I thought 1952 would still be a waffle top but this one is not. Also I have doubts that the stock is original. No marlin bullseye and it has a Boyd's buttplate. What's everyone's thoughts on that? How does everyone like the 35 remington? I haven't read much on it yet. Might have to pick up a mold and some brass. Looks like brass is going to be hard to find.

Boolit Master
    That would take root at my house and get fed and watered.

PM sent on brass

Moderator Emeritus

My 336 Marlin is a 1951 model with waffle top....but the owner had it drilled and tapped....but I love it to pieces....accurate! Congrats and enjoy it!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

My '52 RC in 30-30 is an unmolested waffle top. On the early ones it was easy to changer the lower tang, thus changing the serial number and model year. If it is not a waffle top I believe that tells us it is a later rifle. It does it no harm as far as I know.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    My 336 Marlin is a 1951 model with waffle top....but the owner had it drilled and tapped....but I love it to pieces....accurate! Congrats and enjoy it!
    In 1951 that waffle top was as common as driveway gravel and drilling it for a scope was an upgrade. We whimper when we see it today, but oh well. My 1951 was drilled too.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

X3 My 1951 .35 is drilled too. Perfect for a 1.5 X 5 Leupold VXIII.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

Nice looking rifle.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Good looking gun ya got there!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    My 1952 336SC in 35 Rem was a waffle top but was machined flat and d & t 'd for a scope. I got it cheap for shooting and hunting so it's just fine as is. The RCBS 35-200-FN with 36.0gr H4895 is accurate and factory load velocity and power equivalent.

Boolit Master
    My 336A in a 1949 in 30-30 and was D & T when I bought it. Suits me fine as I shoot it and it's nfs. It had been handled some but all the blue was on the lever screw, so not much use. All I want is a good solid rifle.

Is it a micro-groove ?

Dave

It's Ballard rifled. I doubt someone changed the lower tang with an earlier one. If it was a micro groove I could see that being a possibility.

Marlin put the bullseye on walnut stocks. Birch wood stocks didn't get it.
    I'd think the stock was original, and somebody just changed the butt plate thinking it
    might be more comfortable or hold in your shoulder better.

Nobody throws away gun parts.
    The original one may be floating around in a desk or sock drawer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The .35 Rem was considered the primo deer round for New England woods when I was young. I still have Dad's Microgroove 336, and poured a ton of lead through it learning to shoot cast. Sadly, brass is getting scarce. Pistol bullets with about 4 grains of Red Dot makes a dandy plinking load. Size everything .360" for Microgroove barrels.
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-20-2022 at 08:18 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    Thought I'd show you all a rifle I just inherited. It's a marlin 336sc in 35 remington. I had a 336 rc 30-30 about 5 years back but ended up selling it here on the forum. I have to say I love the look of the half mag tube on this. It's a 1952 J prefix serial number. I thought 1952 would still be a waffle top but this one is not. Also I have doubts that the stock is original. No marlin bullseye and it has a Boyd's buttplate. What's everyone's thoughts on that? How does everyone like the 35 remington? I haven't read much on it yet. Might have to pick up a mold and some brass. Looks like brass is going to be hard to find.
    First, congrats on a gorgeous rifle!!! Secondly, 35 Remington brass was not too difficult for me to find when I needed some. Perhaps you might post a WTB on this forum?
    Third, I have a Marlin Model 36A .30-30 Winchester which was made in 1956; s/n N9xxx with a Lyman 56 sight-set.
    As you may know, the 36 employed the square bolt -- not as strong as the round version in the 336. The most pleasing to my eye is the Sporting Carbine model -- 336SC -- with most desired calibre at the .35 Remington!
    I recall (?) the 336 came out in 1948, and the manufacture year of yours suggests it to be at its peak of quality!
    BEST!
    geo

I have a 1951 SC model and a unmolested waffle top but has 3 holes that were d&t for a side mounted scope mount on the left side of the receiver. The Ballard rifled barrel slugs about .360 so you need large diameter bollits if your going to shoot cast yours may be different. Mine wears a Lyman receiver sight with a large peep hole and is a nice sight for woods hunting. I own quite a few Marlins and this early model seems the smoothest action to me.

Jedman

I have a '51 336RC in .30-30 with no extra holes but a Redfield steel peep added. It has the proper Ballard rifling and I have the Ranch Dog mold for it too. I also have it's little brother, a '51 model 39A "peanut". Both look nearly new.

There is a YouTube channel where the guy shoots a lot of lever guns. He suggests that the 336 in 35 Remington will be back in production soon. If so, I would expect Ruger is talking to the ammo companies about producing some new 35 Remington ammo.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Here's what I think of mine:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-t-handle-lead

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

mine is a serial number E in 30-30. it was drilled and tapped for scope. I took that off and put a Williams peep site on it for Lever Gun Silhouette.
    it was grandmoms deer hunting rifle so I don't think its been shot much but the blueing don't look as nice as your does..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast