157 38.67%
  • three inch

49 12.07%
  • other

39 9.61%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: accuracy standard at 100

Boolit Master
    It's a joke already, you know, all the guys shootin' 1/4" groups!!!

There must surely be an accuracy objective and an acceptable accuracy that we strive for an accept. When I achieved a consistent 1¼ inch group I made allowances for it on my targets (they were small target) by making sure I aimed and squeezed off the shot in the middle of the kill zone which included the rise and fall of the bullet since I didn't really know how far the critter was. If I had an idea I would allow for rise or fall. I usually got my quarry. So, acceptable accuracy tends to be less than desired or accuracy for me. But I take the view that practical accuracy limits the range one should be shooting at critters so a MOA rifle should only be used when it can reliably place it's boolit in the kill zone. My pig gun has a 25m range until I can get it reliable out to 50m (then on to 75m, hopefully).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    I came here a little over a yr ago, I must say I was surprised by what was generally acceptable for accuracy. I'm a competitive shooter shooting F-TR, I'm accustomed to my match rifles holding better than .75MOA vertical at 1000 yards, and shooting in the .2s vertical at 200. Discovering that in general a 2" group at 100 yards was considered OK floored me.

In the interim I've gotten a little less shocked. My cast bullet shooting is with a 45-70, and I've learned what it's like to try to put consistent groups on paper with a heavy recoiling rifle. It's a lot different than with a 308, and in a rifle that I plan to never shoot past 200 yards, well 2MOA is still well with in the vitals of a white tail, and actually in the heart of a buffalo, but I still can't live with it. I'm getting better, though with my Win-Mir 45-70 with a 24" barrel I've given up on cast and gone to jacketed 405s and it's shooting 1" groups. Call me happy.

On the other hand, I've added a C Sharps 45-70 that is going to be used for BP and cast. I'm working up PP hunting loads with it, I'm looking for about 1.5" with irons with those. With my 1000 yard 535gr GG bullets, I'm going to be looking for 1 MOA at 100 because if I can't get it there then flinging them 1000 yards at a 2MOA 10-ring is just pissin' in the wind.

Banned

My accuracy standards, no matter how far away.

Boolit Grand Master

As usual, I tend to agree with Larry Gibson, and this is no exception. With a p-dog rifle, I expect 1" or less at 100, with an open sighted 30-30, or most of my issue Milsurps, am satisfied with 3" or less.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Talk about a day for old posts. Anyway ....

I wasn't paying too much attention to the title of this thread (in a bit of a hurry) and read a few of the posts and then a thought occurred to me as it does from time to time now days. Accuracy is sometimes a subjective term with many people having many varying definitions as to what is a standard of comparison and just how accurate is accurate. But that wasn't the thought.

My standard for accuracy: hitting the water. If you don't understand that, just give yourself a few years and you will.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    I am looking for one inch groups but I not got them yet?People have told me cast will shoot with a jacketed bullet but I have found they wont.Ive shot with a bunch of cast bullet shooters too.Yoe will hear big stories from them but when it comes down to it at the range the results are always the same.

My two and two and one half inch groups are ok for these free bullets but I was in hopes for more.

I will just keep blasting the cast out there until I get the results I am looking for.

Out of here Little Joe
    i only shoot what i cast. i would not keep a rifle that wouldnt shoot 1 minute or less with a scope. every rifle and every boolit has a load that it likes. you just have to work your a@@ off and find it.

if it was easy liberals would be doin' it

otter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Please tell me your accuracy standard at 100
    If I can keep all of my bullets in a 4" bull at 100 yards I'm ecstatic. I shoot open sights and my bead covers the bull usually unless I raise the sight a bit and do a 6 hold. I can usually keep things at about an inch at 50 with several of my guns...

I'm a hunter and not a shooter, so accuracy is important to me... where precision might be more important to a shooter.. what is the difference... you might be asking... accuracy is hitting my target, precision is keeping it in the x ring.

Aloha..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ku4hx View Post
    Talk about a day for old posts. Anyway ....

I wasn't paying too much attention to the title of this thread (in a bit of a hurry) and read a few of the posts and then a thought occurred to me as it does from time to time now days. Accuracy is sometimes a subjective term with many people having many varying definitions as to what is a standard of comparison and just how accurate is accurate. But that wasn't the thought.

My standard for accuracy: hitting the water. If you don't understand that, just give yourself a few years and you will.
    Yup... there is a huge difference between accuracy and precision. X-ring versus the meat locker.

Boolit Master
    this is what I'm looking for on the range at all possible...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	688shootingbmp.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	70742

I would be very happy with a 100 yards group looking like this:

Well, that tiny group is actually shot at 600 yards! Unbelievable...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...#comment-42222
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master
    If that group size at 600 yards is verified, it's entirely OFF THE HOOK. Those are small-caliber bullets, and wind makes such projectiles get just poetic as can be. Hell of a fine job of shooting, in any event. And YES, a group that size with my sporters at 100 yards would prompt a smile here as well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I'd buy that shooter a beer! I'll buy him a whole darn barrel of beer!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I'd buy that shooter a beer! I'll buy him a whole darn barrel of beer!
    Well, I'd help him drink it.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Banned

After you drink the beer, be sure you hit the water!!

Boolit Master
    I rarely shoot from a bench anymore. Being primarily a hunter my only concern is how far the boolit landed from my crosshairs. On a deer rifle at 100 if it lands within 2" of POA from a field position I'm good to go. In theory that could be a 4" group but I believe all my rifles will do better than that.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If a rifle won't shoot into 1.5", it doesn't live here long.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    A lot depends on type of rifle and calibre .223/308 inch or less ,357/44 mag 2-3 inches is OK by me.

I know my limits and set goals accordingly.

Bolt action deer hunting rifles 2"
    Bolt action varmint rifle 1"
    Lever, pump, semi-auto 4" or less

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

With a scope, 1.5" at 100yds. With irons double that. Of course I'm happy when I shoot better than that. I'm the weak link of the deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast