Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: .33 WCF from 45-70

.33 WCF from 45-70

How much work is involved in converting 45-70 brass to .33WCF and could someone please provide links to the appropriate dies.

Thank you very much,
    MJ

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    The easiest way is to buy cheap die sets between these two calibers as intermediate forming dies. The 40-65, 40-50 BN and 38-56 dies come to mind and LEE produces at least one of these. Go slowly, don't overlubricate, turn the case180 degrees before shoving in in further and use some of Bullshops new forming lube, its GOOD stuff for this. I would use the 40-65 first, then the 38-56, then the 33 win. Keep in mind that the seating die is very usefull for forming cases here.

Boolit Master
    Its very simple BUT!!! I have a set of RCBS form dies for 45/70 to 33 Win and they work good. The problem I ran into was that 45/70 brass is a tiny bit too big in the web where it cant be sized down. The solution was to start with Starline 40/65 brass which they have dimentioned correctly in the web for the 33 Win. Any 45/70 brass I used wouldnt quite chamber completly without excessive pressure on the lever. When I looked into this found that others were having the same problem. That much pressure repeatedly applied to the lever cant be good for the long term of the rifle.
    So if I were you or me I would start with Starline 40/65 brass.
    bic/bs

That's interesting... the reference I'm using shows the .45-70 head/rim diameter at .505"/.608" and the .33WCF at .508"/.610". The .40-65 is spec'd the same as the .45-70 in this area so that'll be the one I use. Is there a .33WCF from .40-65 forming die or would it be the same as a .33WCF from .45-70 forming die?

MJ

Boolit Master
    best bet: use a 38-56 FL die.
    easist, just ease it into a 45LC, then 41 mag, then 357 Mag FL sizer the neck length.

Worked for me.

Rich
    DRSS

Boolit Man
    Either .40-65 or .38-56 will serve as enough intermediate die. Using both will ease the job, but not enough to merit the expenditure of the extra dies.
    My .33 worked well with .45-70 brass. Be aware that the original .33 WCF has a heavier web than .45-70, and the ersatz cases are theoretically a little weaker in the head area.
    When I did my first batch I had no intermediate die and used the seating die first and it cut way down on my spoiled case ratio.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross

Boolit Bub
    I was thinking about doing the forming in stages, but wound up getting the RCBS case forming dies that allow me to make 33 WCF directly from 45-70 brass. Haven't lost a case yet. I've made good cases from Remington brass, but haven't tried Winchester, Federal, PMC or Starline yet - suspect that the Starline will be the toughest but likely the best of the bunch.