RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lead hammer

Quote Originally Posted by RogerWatsonfromIdaho View Post
    See my post: Casting with my homemade lead hammer mold.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=25798
    Evidently this is one of those ghost threads. It isn't linked.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Evidently this is one of those ghost threads. It isn't linked.
    The link works for me. He uses a large diameter copper pipe T cut in half and held together by hose clamps plus flat plate on either end held by a C clamp. Then he inserts the handle in the center hole and pours the hammer head around it.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The link works for me. He uses a large diameter copper pipe T cut in half and held together by hose clamps plus flat plate on either end held by a C clamp. Then he inserts the handle in the center hole and pours the hammer head around it.
    Iteresting. I clicked on the link in my quote and it worked. Clicked on the link in the post and it didn't.

That looked like a pretty good deal. I since decided to continue using the ingot that fits in my hand and will rest on my old Jr. press.

that link is the one I was thinking of.....

easy set up

I made one by making a rectangular mold out of pine, with a piece of thin rebar bent into the shape of a handle (a kind of hoop shaped thing with both ends cast into the head).

then I tinned the ends of the rebar with some silver solder and torch so the lead would stick, and cast some wheel weights into it.

It was nice because when the head gets too beat up, you can torch it off and recast a new one. I would do this one in the driveway though--wooden molds tend to smoke a little bit!!

This is what they look like and bellow is A video how to make it. The full weight is 7.5 pounds and will smash a cinder block or take a tire off and old car.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVV_g6Gxihw

Made some updates to the way I make these hammers. This is the link to see revisions and improved methods in the part 2 video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCreJoYWJl0
    I joined this site with a goal that sounds normal.
    To learn to make a mold and cast a boolit.
    Until you realize I want to make a 1.4 caliber boolit for a spud gun. This is my goal! Feel free to come hate or help me reach it.
    Spud gun Lead Boolit thread

Boolit Master

What did you use to close the bottom of your mold? (I was thinking of using heavy-duty aluminum foil, held with a hose clamp)

I use stove pipe cement. It chips right off after your done casting
    Until you realize I want to make a 1.4 caliber boolit for a spud gun. This is my goal! Feel free to come hate or help me reach it.

Boolit Master

I saw the cement, I'm talking about how'd you close the *end* of the mold? Did you cement a flat piece of steel to the end?

Boolit Buddy
    I made a Hammer mold at work. 2inch square tube 4in long. cut the one side off and welded angle to the sides. Re-made hundreds for the guys at work with there old handles

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
    I saw the cement, I'm talking about how'd you close the *end* of the mold? Did you cement a flat piece of steel to the end?
    oh sorry It takes a few poors to learn how. But you fill it most of the way then watch it and as the center starts to sink in you just slowly add more and top it off.

It leaves a crisp flat edge on one end and a slightly rounded on the other. All the metal working guys I sell them to love that fact so I kept it that way. The wood working guys doing post and beam seem to like it also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by greenbud View Post
    oh sorry It takes a few poors to learn how. But you fill it most of the way then watch it and as the center starts to sink in you just slowly add more and top it off...
    The *other* end of the mold!

Boolit Buddy

I have a mold. Struck industries that used to advertise in Popular mechanics (still do), I think) made it however I don't think they still do. I use 3/4 inch rod for a handle and turn the part that goes in the head down to fit (probably 5/8 - but haven't made one in years) and drill a hole in the reduced section for a cross pin to keep the head from turning. I clamp it together with a C-clamp when I pour making sure the cross pin is 90 degrees to the long axis of the hammer.. I'm new at this and don't see how to do a PM to you so if you want to borrow it I'll loan it to you for whatever the postage is. Probably will fit in one of the small priority mail boxes. I'll let you do the PM.

I'm sure you know it and many others also but I want to put this out there about where you cast that hammer. To me it looked like a concrete floor,mybe not,but molten lead spilled on a concrete floor is a very bad time. I cover my floor under anything that is going to be near the molton lead. My brother overflowed a mold once and ended up with a bunch of burns and cuts from the exploding concrete.
    Just a reminder to everyone out there.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Super View Post
    I'm sure you know it and many others also but I want to put this out there about where you cast that hammer. To me it looked like a concrete floor,mybe not,but molten lead spilled on a concrete floor is a very bad time. I cover my floor under anything that is going to be near the molton lead. My brother overflowed a mold once and ended up with a bunch of burns and cuts from the exploding concrete.
    Just a reminder to everyone out there.
    Actually i did not know this!! I thank you so much I will place a metal plate under it from now on!!

This why i love this forum The info is endless...

Concrete has moisture in it always. We all know how water and molten lead play together
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
    A soda can full of lead weighs over 8 pounds.
    The Babbitt of Thor!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I actually have a 1 pound Graham lead hammer mold. I originally had 4 handles. Three friends begged one out of me over the years. Now I need more handles! Darned handy they are.

The mold and the handles have gotten darned expensive! Sure didn't cost that when I bought it. See: http://www.grahamtool.com/leadhammermoldsets.aspx

I looked at these when I first thought I needed one. After checking your link, I like the part that says free shipping. At $110.00 to $130.00 I hope so.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast