RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: New Old stock Marlin 1895 GBL

New Old stock Marlin 1895 GBL

Just found a new old stock Marlin 1895 GBL with made in Conn. stamped on the barrel. Checked it out real good. Lever works smooth sight look ok and the stock to metal fit is excellant. It must have been made just when Remington just bought out Marlin. I know they moved all the machinery to Illon, New York. And the quality got bad for that period. I have to wait for my new mold to get here so I can cast up some boolits so I can fire it.

Boolit Grand Master

Bad news, my friend. Rifle's been recalled. PM me for the addy of the new warranty center....it's in Texas now.

Enjoy, sounds like you've stumbled on a good one.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    Didn't at least some of the ones put together in new york, still have new haven on the barrel?

Finally got to shoot it yesterday. Friend gave me 5 rounds 350gr gc sized to .459to try it out til I get my mold. Shot good at the 50 yrd target, got around a 2 1/2" group. Don't like the factory sights but I plan on changing them. I guess I lucked out and got a good one.

Boolit Mold
    Most or all of the Illion guns have a serial # starting with MR.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolman44 View Post
    Finally got to shoot it yesterday. Friend gave me 5 rounds 350gr gc sized to .459to try it out til I get my mold. Shot good at the 50 yrd target, got around a 2 1/2" group. Don't like the factory sights but I plan on changing them. I guess I lucked out and got a good one.
    It will do a lot better than that. I like .460 for the guide guns I've worked up loads for. Here's a 50 yard target from mine. 460360 group buy plain base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 460360 chrono.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    I, too, got lucky today and found a NIB Marlin GBL with an MR serial number. I put a Williams Guide Line ghost ring aperture sight in the rear scope mount holes and folded the factory rear sight over and the sight line is fine. If I am very lucky the factory front sight will be high enough. I'm going to try some of the RD 300 grain GC boolits, some Gould 330 HPs, and some very wide meplat 400 grainers from a modified Magna mold, all over 2400 and a dacron puff and see what it likes best. Should be an interesting range session. I sure like the recoil pad on this one better than the one on the Guide Gun. GF

Boolit Buddy
    My 1895 gbl Has a new haven conn on the barrel but has the rem stamp on the right side of the barrel with the mr serial no. on the receiver. Wasnt made in new york but was assembled there from what ive read. The early ones had the jm stamp on the left side of the barrel. Rick!