WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Screwy Lot of CCI Large Pistol Primers

Boolit Master

Another Screwy Lot of CCI Large Pistol Primers

Well it's happened to me again. I just spent a frustrating hour loading 100 .45 acps on the old projector. Almost all of the primers were seating proud of the case head uness I really crunched them home. When I finished that tube I took a close look at what was going on and I've got a case of 5,000 CCI LP primers that have cups measuring .1115 deep. I checked a different lot and the cups are .1090. Anyone know what the Saami spec for LP cups is? I checked a few of my remaining WLPs and they are .108, and they seat just fine. I am not looking forward to reaming 5,000 primer pockets so I can use these.

This is the third screwy lot of CCI LP primers I've had. About five years ago I had a lot which had all of the anvils set up so high that they wouldn't feed through the progressive press. I loaded them all on the rock chucker. Back in the 90's I had a lot in which many of the cups were taller on one side than the other, they'd seat but it sure felt odd seating them and they all had one edge crunched a bit. About one in 50 would wind up sideways coming off the primer arm which was a major PITA.

I guess it's back to mail order. CCIs are all I can find locally.

BD

CCI's quailty control has suffered badly in the last couple years. I dont use any CCI products past blazer .22 anymore.

SW

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    For at least twenty years that I know of, Dillon has been reccomending W-W or Federal primers for their progressives. Comparing measurements back then, I
    found CCI LP to be slightly larger and out of round compared to W-W. I use W-W
    in my Square Deal. OTOH, CCI has never let me down in temperatures between 20 below and 105 in nearly fifty years, so I use CCI for rifles.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

Did they put large rifle primers in a LP box?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy

oversize CCI LR primers also

About 3 years ago I bought 1000 CCI LR primers that were oversize (in diameter at least). Guess I'll have to load them in loose primer pockets whenever I have them. What a waste. Learned my lesson the first time. No more CCI for me. Using REM 9 1/2 now with nice results. Preacher

A few years ago, I got box (1000) CCI small rifle that were harder than usual, and misfires were common in nearly every one of my rifles. Usually a second or third strike would set them off. Just seemed like the cups were unusually hard. Still have a bunch of them left....

I have no problems with any other brands, or prior to that with CCI.

My son and I just ordered 5000 CCI SR because of good price ($16.00 per) May have been a mistake.........Luck of the draw??????

Tom

Boolit Master
    Cat Shooter,

They're not rifle primers, or at least they're not as tall as my Federal 210s. Just too tall to be pistol primers. When I get a chance I'm gonna call CCI and see what they say.

BD

Boolit Master

BD ;
    Just in case CCI won't give justice, maybe they would be usefull as low pressure CB Rifle loads. Just tryin to be optimestic.
    Are ya comin home soon? Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master
    You ain't trying to load those winchester NT cases, are you? I got some of them to find out that they use small pistol primers.
    My CCI 350 Magnum pistol primers as well as my Federal 150 primers are both 0.118
    Last edited by Tom W.; 04-08-2007 at 04:47 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Thumbs down

I have the same problem with my large pistol magnums... still have about 800 from the 1k box sitting in my drawer.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

I used cci and allways found them to be hard to seat I believe I read they are larger than the other brands.I like feds except for the box size.

Banned

Never had a problem

I've shot just over 63,000 CCI large pistol primers and have never had a problem. I've got just over 130,000 more. Couldn't be happier.

One thing though. All of mine are/were in APS strips, if that matters.

Boolit Master

KLW, you wouldn't have any spare APS strips to sell would you? I use the APS system and love it; I'm afraid that it hasn't "caught on" enough for CCI to keep it up though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    KLW, you wouldn't have any spare APS strips to sell would you? I use the APS system and love it; I'm afraid that it hasn't "caught on" enough for CCI to keep it up though.
    Like most RCBS products they are guaranteed forever so if you have any you can use them over and over again.

Personally I've not filled a strip yet but I saved all mine. I realized early on that buying the empty strips was expensive.

Boolit Master

OK, if you want to sell a few, let me know!

I have the strip loader and it has a learning curve but isn't too bad once you learn it.

There is a guy on eBay selling 8 strips for $6 plus, GET THIS, $8 for shipping! I don't see that he gets much action though!

Boolit Master
    A couple years ago while loading some .45-70's using Win. brass and CCI 200's I was having trouble with getting them seated and thought I had a primer problem. Upon investigation I found it to be a tight primer pocket problem. I started reaming all pockets with a uniformer and haven't had any problems since. Just thought I'd mention this because sometimes we look for the problems in the wrong place. CCI's do seem to run a bit large though. In some calibers I use some old match-grade RWS's a friend gave me years ago. Then when the pockets get a bit enlarged I switch over to the CCI's. Works for me!

Boolit Master

BD, have to talked with anyone at CCI yet? I'd love to hear their response!

Boolit Master
    I sent them an email this week asking to exchange that lot of primers. We'll see what they say.
    BD

Boolit Master
    I got an email back from Linda Olin, CCI/Speer Technical Services, this week. She told me that the maximum overall height for the primer"assembly" was .125 She also said she would pass my email along to the "tech", who would be back in the office on Monday.

I responded that the overall height was not the issue, rather it was the height of the cup, measured between the legs of the anvil, which was causing the problem. I also mentioned that I'd been at this for awhile and was pretty sure that there was something unusual about this particular lot of primers. We'll see.

BD

Boolit Master
    I got an email reply this week from Coy Getman at CCI telling me that the "spec" for these primers is .112 +/- .004 In his opinion if my measurements are correct, my funky lot of primers are within "spec". Anyone know what a large pistol primer height is supposed to be? This lot is definately too tall to seat flush. I've been measuring them with a digital caliper as it's blades will fit between the legs of the anvils. Now I suppose I should pull a few apart and measure the cups with the blade mic.
    BD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast