WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo opinion sought

Just a comment on the "duds" issue - much of what I'm shooting is 10 years old, and has not shown me any duds. I literally cannot remember any at all since I started this adventure. Food for thought. More evidence of process control having gone slack in recent times. . . .
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW, I believe Paco is still making his tool. It is much more consistent and easier to use using an arbor press than with a hammer. I've not used the Waltz tool but I would imagine this puts the two in much the same class. Paco makes them in four sizes, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    FWIW, I believe Paco is still making his tool. It is much more consistent and easier to use using an arbor press than with a hammer. I've not used the Waltz tool but I would imagine this puts the two in much the same class. Paco makes them in four sizes, too.
    I got a Paco tool a few years back, never used it as it went to ground in my garage shortly after arriving and hasn't been seen since, lol.

We had a 'group buy' at the pistol club a few years ago and we each bought 5000 Lapua 'Magazine' 22LRs. They came in a box with ten baked bean cans of 500 each. I didn't expect much when I saw the baked bean cans, but it has proven to be phenomonly accurate ammo in both my 50s vintage Browning Standard Pistol, more recent Baikal Target pistol and my SAKO Quad rifle.

I have only used the bulk Remington for plinking and it was Ok, kinda, sorta. I didn't get many duds that I can remember but accuracy was pretty ordinary, acceptable for cheap stuff, but nothing to get excited about.

I have an old Rossi 22 Pump actioned rifle that I bought for my late wife in the mid 70s. It is a very agreeable rifle. It's favourite ammo is Winchester Bushman Hi Vel HPs. This is an economy product sold in Australia, but the Rossi loves it!

I am settign up an old Browning pump action rifle for spotlighting rabbits at night. I must try the CCIs. I usually use WInchester Power Points with great success over the years.

My old BRNO Model 2 (now CZs) wil shoot anything, another agreeable rifle.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I popped into the gunshop this afternoon and picked up a pack of CCI Mini Mags, seeing you guys think so highly of them. I will try them on Sunday (provided the car races aren't on and the wind is blowing the wrong way. Our range i son the side of the Mt Panorama race track. Technically we can shoot 24/7 because the range is completely baffled, etc. But if they hear the guns go off they go into a complete flat spin. I don't know why, shooting is way safer then tearing around a race track in a car! But, if th ewind is blowing away from the track, they won't hear us plugging away.

D'Oh!!! Major race meeting, that means campers on the range, etc. Looks liek I will have to adjust plans, the rest of the month is out as well, another race meeting and Newton's meeting (Newtons's law of realitivity, skates, skateboards, street Luge', billy carts, etc, etc, etc.

A gunshow the weekend after this one and I will have to man a stand there, so no weekend shooting for April. I'll have to go find a paddock somewhere.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 04-05-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Thanks guys for the excellent and detailed responses. After reading them I'm reconsidering my leanings toward cheaper bulk ammo. I'll probably go for Mini Mags or stick with Aussie made Power Point. - I've used alot of this over the years, and it is a great round on rabbits. I was thinking I could save a bit buying cheap bulk. Ausglock has done an interesting youtube video comparing lots of different brands and price ranges with some very interesting results. It's a shame (for me) that a bolt action rifle was not used for the tests as that would more accurately reflect what group sizes I could expect (given that would be my use).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12