Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counterbore?

Boolit Master

Counterbore?

My old #1 BSA doesn't shoot to consistent and I believe it's because there isn't any rifleing left at the end of the muzzle. From the breech to about 3/4's of and inch from the muzzle there appears to be decent enough rifling to stabilize a bullet. Would counterboring the muzzle be an effective way to return some accuracy? Thanks for some thoughts on this.

Boolit Master

It would...The Russians have done Many Mosins like that. Just make sure the counterbore is concentric to the bore itself.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master

Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. It's worth a try, can't hurt it any more.

Boolit Master
    My thinking too. I've got a decent enough replacement barrel for it; so far no one has the gauges or experience to put it on. If it was an AR platform I'd be covered up with smart guys.

Boolit Master

You could have the barrel trimmed back and recut the crown too...more expensive than a quick counterbore job.

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    You could have the barrel trimmed back and recut the crown too...more expensive than a quick counterbore job.

Rich
    my thinking too. just cut an in. off and recrown

Boolit Grand Master

You can get your accuracy back with a counterbore but it has to be a GOOD one. You can't simply run a drill bit into the muzzle and expect great things. Center the bore on a lathe and bore and ream and it willl probably work IF you get past the rifling wear.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the well thought out answers guys. It helps.

Boolit Master

need to just take out the lands If you get too much out it will tend to throw the bullet . and you need to cut the lands SQUARE it will lead if you try a taper like a drill bit

Boolit Master
    Brownells sells a muzzle facing tool for use in a drill if you want to go that route. I had a really bad 8mm barrel that I wanted cut to 20 inches and crowned. Gunsmith said he could get to it in about 2 months. Three days from Brownells, 3 minutes in a chopsaw, and 10 minutes with that tool and it shoots GREAT. Maybe I got lucky, but "Buster" is taking down piggies out to 250 yards with great consistency.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    How long is the barrel now?

Strip the gun down and send me just the barreled action. I'll cut the barrel and recrown it for you. I won't charge you for the work but, I ask that you pay the return shipping - unless you are within easy driving distance to Vinita....

A

Boolit Master
    A generous offer indeed!!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t understand why counter-boring would be preferable to cutting the barrel back?

I know the Russians used to counter-bore Mosin-Nagants, but if I am not mistaken, the reason they did so was to keep the rifle in the standard issued configuration. In other words, they counter-bored to keep from scrapping a barrel and keep barrel length the same as other rifles. From what I’ve read about Russian counter-bored Mosins, some shoot well, while others not so much.

What I’m getting at is that if it’s not important to keep the barrel to the stock length, why not cut an inch or so off the end and re-crown it? Wouldn’t that be a easier fix?

Cutting and crowning seems straight forward enough, but counter-boring seems to me, an inexperienced student, as if it would be more difficult to pull off correctly.

By the way, what’s used to do a counter-bore, a piloted bit of some sort?

John T.

Boolit Master

Bayonets. If you cut the barrel back you can't mount the bayonet. A counter-bore preserves the barrel length for the attachment of the bayonet. Russians still enjoy fixing bayonets to their AKs so its more than just tradition for them.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by John 242 View Post
    I don’t understand why counter-boring would be preferable to cutting the barrel back?
    John T.
    Lots of hardware to move if barrel cut (front sight, bayo lug).
    Full wood stock does not help either.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to keep the wood and all the rest of the rifle as genuine as possible. 15 years ago they were cheap enough to throw away and just buy another. I'll find someone within driving distance to swap out barrels for me. THANKS for all the thoughts.

Boolit Master
    Had a worn bore issue a year or two ago with my No.1 MKIII. I kept checking Numrich, Sarco and buymilsurp.com. Eventually Numrich showed one in stock. I snatched it up at $45, paid another $100 to have it installed (thank you member "Tedly", @ D&D guns ). It slugged .311, so a pig in a poke worked out for me. Anything would have been better than what I had though.
    So keep trying to score a new barrel.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

If it were me, I would try the counter bore first. If that didn't work out, then I would cut back the barrel and recrown it.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I believe the counter bore could easily be cut with a throuting reamer. that would give you a clean, centered counter bore.

Ken

Counter-bore (with pilot shank but w/o pilot)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast