Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: The end of turkey season

Boolit Master

The end of turkey season

I got a chance to go out this afternoon, loaded up the Brown Bess, grabbed the vest and headed out. I was walking around my hay fields when I saw three toms in the neighbors corn. I moved over to intercept them, found they had changed course when I got to the back of my place and were about 400 yards away in another neighbors corn.

I set up and started calling about every five minuites. On the fourth set one of the toms stuck his head up and looked around. I called again, he started toward me taking about one half hour to work in. He decided to cross the fence row about 60 yards out, came in to about forty yards and hung up looking for the hen. he was staring to drift away and I scratched the leaves, he came a few yards closer then a crow lit in the tree above me and started cawing, the turkey spooked and ran off.
    I hunt on my own terms, restricting my self to thirty yards much happier with 25 and am happy with my season. At least it was better than two years ago, the only thing I called in was a coyote, but getting a coyote with a cylinder bore Brown Bess flintlock and 6s is OK to.
    Alan
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Farmer
    I think I would have done in the crow. It is great we live in areas where again deer and turkey abound. When I first started hunting the Danville ILLinois area I never figured I would one day see turkeys roaming about the airport area. I hope this year they have expanded further north and west to Shake Rag Road where I hunt when up north there. Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

The crow was close to lunch, but I had dreams of making a second run at a turkey.

It is amazing, I remember the first deer track Dad found on the farm, 50 years ago. It was a big enough find to him to stop working ground and get the family to see it. And mine was one of the few of the third year 4-H wildlife projects that had a deer track. Turkeys were released in 1984 in the county, now we have a fair population in the whole area. My hunting lisence is one of the few taxes I don't mind paying.
    Alan
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10