WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 to .308 Headspace Confusion

Boolit Master

BulletFactory,

It sounds like you are getting things sorted out. I will bet you have learned more than you thought possible about forming brass. Nothing wrong with learning and nothing wrong with using a bit of time to make your shooting more enjoyable and a bit more affordable.

Sorry that the tooling I had offered on a loan would not help you out. If you get further into this case forming fun. holler I may have other stuff to help you learn before you have to spend.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    They worked perfectly, thanks all.
    Great!

Did they get shorter?

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    If you are sizing a 3006 case to .308 Win, you must have some awfully thick case necks. If I were to be so ambitious as to try that, I would either ream or turn the case necks. Good luck, and maybe warn shooters at nearby benches. That first firing will really expand the webbing, but maybe this conversion is done with sucess, and I just never heard or thought about it.

Good luck!
    He said that he turned the necks.

I have found that on reforming cases, the shoulder isn't as sharp from sizing as it is from firing; it is a bit more rounded, and often leads to slightly snug chambering.

While you have already fired them, I would have recommended that, to avoid any possibility of a slamfire, you could have done just what you did in your test- slowly closing the bolt and lightly bumping it shut, rather than letting it slam shut. But it worked, that's the main thing.

In the future I'd recommend putting them on the swapping section... I bet someone would have traded you 06 for 308.

Banned

They did get shorter

I know I could swap them, but honestly, I like doing it. Besides, with the -06 brass being thicker, and the X-Dies, I should get a couple extra shots per case. The M1A is hard on brass, so every extra shot helps.

From now on, I plan on annealing them after resizing them, before fire-forming.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    They did get shorter

I know I could swap them, but honestly, I like doing it. Besides, with the -06 brass being thicker, and the X-Dies, I should get a couple extra shots per case. The M1A is hard on brass, so every extra shot helps.

From now on, I plan on annealing them after resizing them, before fire-forming.
    Thought so.

Go easy on the annealing. There is absolutely no need for red hot. Just propane until slight color change and then dunk them.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 04-07-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned

When I saw this guy, I knew he was doing it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190rC0iTN5M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12