Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Homemade Tru ball slugs?

Boolit Buddy

Homemade Tru ball slugs?

I just got in from shooting a few of the Federal Truballs and happened to find one of the little plastic balls in the backstop. It measured a hair over .440 inches. It got me to thinking with the gluelits that some people make why a homemade version of these couldn't be done. I already have an appropriate sized roundball mold. Anyone have one of the Lyman 20 gauge foster slug molds that they wouldn't mind sending me some of the slugs, or let me borrow the mold for a week or two?
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Banned
    Hello CattleSkinner, here are a few steps to make a Brennikie type slug with the help of a drill press, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Hope it helps.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Boolit Buddy
    I like your round ball with wadding load. Whatt kind of cup is that?

Boolit Grand Master

I suspect that hot melt glue wouldn't be near hard enough to perform like the Tru-Ball ball but you could certainly try it.

I was going to suggest Corbin but it looks like the biggest plastic ball they supply is 3/8".

If you are going to use hot melt glue then why not just fill the hollow base of the Foster slug? That works reasonably well to support the skirt.

Ajay:

How was accuracy with your round ball Brenneke? I tried that but have gotten mediocre to poor accuracy. I made a form to cast a hot melt glue skirt onto the ball (with screw inserted into the ball to make sure the skirt didn't part company in flight). Accuracy improved and in some cases was quite good but lots of fliers. I attribute the problems to the glue shearing around the ball and not staying where put since flat bottomed slugs work pretty well so far.

Longbow

Banned
    Good morning, the components used are:

Hello Longbow, since the RB is under size and not have too much support, it is giving 2.5 to 3 inch at 50 yds.
    I'm working on a wad just for this purpose and a sabot in the making.
    I will update you as soon as I have the samples.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cattleskinner View Post
    I just got in from shooting a few of the Federal Truballs and happened to find one of the little plastic balls in the backstop. It measured a hair over .440 inches. It got me to thinking with the gluelits that some people make why a homemade version of these couldn't be done. I already have an appropriate sized roundball mold. Anyone have one of the Lyman 20 gauge foster slug molds that they wouldn't mind sending me some of the slugs, or let me borrow the mold for a week or two?
    I've got one of the Lyman 20 ga Foster slug molds.

PM me with your address, and I'll get it in the mail about Saturday.