RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 77 of 153 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3055

Thread: "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest...

Banned

Pay attention, MJ, this is what I've been working with for over a year, exactly like I was told to make it, and haven't got it right YET:

Starmetal Lube:

Equal parts by liquid volume to make a half-gallon: Mystery "beeswax", probably surplus WWII Naval wax from salvage broker who can no longer be contacted, and dry, Ivory soap powdered in a food processor.

A margarine-dished sized dollop of "homemade Vaseline", which is mostly a mystery refinery sample petrolatum of unknown constitution thinned with some laxative-grade heavy mineral oil.

Two heaping teaspoons laxative grade castor oil.

Orange candle dye.

Melt the wax, add the soap to double the volume, heat-stir until all soap dissolved/melted, dump in the homemade vaseline and castor, heat until just fully liquid but don't burn it (haaaaahahahahahah), cut the heat and let it sit until cool without stirring.

Now you know as much about it as I do. Happy now?

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Gear, I made my version a bit different. I melted the Vaseline, from a store, not made by me and then added the sod stearate. Once they were well mixed into a "grease" I removed the heat, added the castor oil and then the beeswax.
    Mine is THICK as all get out. It has a bit of tack and stays on bullets well enough.

Banned

Brad, that's what Lamar and I keep referring to as "making it backwards", which you have to do if you want to use beeswax and avoid burning it. Make the sodium grease first, then melt in the wax at lower temps. It's a bit more fibrous and "coarse" than if you use a wax that can take the heat and liquify it all together, but I think it ultimately makes little difference in performance.

My Longhorn lube is made exactly this way, sodium grease first, liquify it, then cool, add beeswax and carnauba and simmer/stir at about 220F until it's well blended. Cool to solid, let sit overnight, and gently remelt, stir, and cool again for smoother texture.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Coarse is an accurate description of the texture. I never remelted it to see how that changed the texture.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Pay attention, MJ, (well, excuuuuuuse me for having a life outside this forum ) this is what I've been working with for over a year, exactly like I was told to make it, and haven't got it right YET:

Starmetal Lube:

Equal parts by liquid volume to make a half-gallon: Mystery "beeswax", probably surplus WWII Naval wax from salvage broker who can no longer be contacted, and dry, Ivory soap powdered in a food processor.

A margarine-dished sized dollop of "homemade Vaseline", which is mostly a mystery refinery sample petrolatum of unknown constitution thinned with some laxative-grade heavy mineral oil.
    Regardless of my lack of commitment to the subject, I feel it is my duty to suggest substituting BW-408, possibly thinned with some laxative-grade heavy mineral oil from Wally World, instead of relying on a "mystery refinery sample petrolatum of unknown constitution". I've been looking for an excuse to make a purchase at Blended Waxes, (the outfit in WI) but I can't make up my mind which formulation to purchase. If I purchase a slab each of 408 and 430, that'll set me back at least a C-note with shipping.

Two heaping teaspoons laxative grade castor oil.

Orange candle dye.

Melt the wax, add the soap to double the volume, heat-stir until all soap dissolved/melted, dump in the homemade vaseline and castor, heat until just fully liquid but don't burn it (haaaaahahahahahah), cut the heat and let it sit until cool without stirring.

Now you know as much about it as I do. Happy now?

Gear
    Always happy, never satisfied.

However, don't you think it would be easier to dissolve the soap in hot petrolatum since beeswax has a lower flash point?

Thank you,
    MJ

Banned

now you see why i made the grease with mineral oil and sod stearate.
    then broke it down and added the wax.
    i'm tying to creep up on the correct amount.
    i made a batch with b-wax also and might try a 50-50 ish mix
    only without the castor oil.
    if i can figure out both way's proportions, then blend both batches it might fix the middle modifier issue.
    the b-wax would become the middle modifier.
    the mineral oil would be a wetter, a plasticizer, a carrier, and a modifier all at once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Regardless of my lack of commitment to the subject, I feel it is my duty to suggest substituting BW-408, possibly thinned with some laxative-grade heavy mineral oil from Wally World, instead of relying on a "mystery refinery sample petrolatum of unknown constitution". I've been looking for an excuse to make a purchase at Blended Waxes, (the outfit in WI) but I can't make up my mind which formulation to purchase. If I purchase a slab each of 408 and 430, that'll set me back at least a C-note with shipping. Yeah, but they send it in a box big enough for four slabs and the shipping is steep no matter how many or few, so make it count. I agree that BW 408 might do it, and I like the high melt point. The quality that I'm after (FWIW) with the intermediate ingredient is very high film strength and flex. White Vaseline has no appreciable film strength, and Starmetal lube made with it is worthless, so I know that having that ingredient just right is critical. We need a "known quantity" to use for this ingredient. Currently I'm subbing Harvey's Bowl Wax #1 (not Fluidmaster) and heavy mineral oil for Joe's "homemade Vaseline" currently and with the other things I've figured out to use I think I have it nailed, but haven't gotten a chance to shoot any of it yet.

Always happy, never satisfied.

However, don't you think it would be easier to dissolve the soap in hot petrolatum since beeswax has a lower flash point? Look back 4 and 5 posts from this one.

Thank you,
    MJ
    Bruce381 sent a couple of us some soft microwax, it's clear and just a fuzz thicker than Vaseline, and has no film strength either, so it makes a great wax plasticizer but adds nothing else to the lube. This stuff of Joe's is like armor-plate for boolits, yet leaves almost zero residue, so little that dry patching between groups or switching back and forth between paper-patched boolits makes no difference in POI to the grease-groove ones.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Marlin Junky, I have some BW-430 if you want to try some without having to buy an entire slab. PM me if you want some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Marlin Junky, I have some BW-430 if you want to try some without having to buy an entire slab. PM me if you want some.
    PM sent.

MJ

Banned

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Weren't we just talking about getting a CONSISTENT and reliable source of KNOWN components? I've been cooking soap lubes all evening and that dadgum Yaley wax I ordered is NOT the same as the old slab of it I bought at the craft store, they've cheaped-out on the formula or something. That really ticks me off, they brag about how special it is and how the formula has been in the company forever. This new stuff is lighter in color, not as yellow, and definitely has more paraffin in it because it's brittle and not as flexy/stretchy as the old stuff. It's still halfway decent, but it just doesn't have the quality I was after. Sorry Lamar, it ain't the stuff. You can play with the chunk I sent you anyway, but scratch it with a knife point and it doesn't make tough, smooth little curls like beeswax does, it makes cracked, whitish, crumbly curls. If you took the old stuff and mixed it half and half with Gulf Wax it would be about like this new junk.

Anyway, I found another Ester oil, Maxim K2, I can get that at the cycle shop not too far away and it's decent, but I don't like it as much as Redline. This Maxim oil is only about 18% solvent, though, or at least that's how far it reduced. Even then, it's a lighter oil than Redline and doesn't smell as good, and we all know it's gotta smell right to use!

On the bright side, I made a batch of Starmetal lube as close as I can get it, would have been better with the older Yaley shaping wax though. I made "Vaseline" out of one part Oatey bowl ring and one part heavy mineral oil, at least that part turned out about right The lube is showing promise, I'll have to give it a few days to settle in before drawing any conclusions.

We're still missing an ingredient here in a big way. We need something about the viscosity of what Vaseline is at room temperature, that has a LOT of film strength and glide to it, without being extremely sticky. It would also be nice if it could take 475 degrees without poofing. BW 408? Cetyl Esters? Some kind of heavy cutting oil? Anybody got any real "rod wax" from the oil field???

Gear

We're still missing an ingredient here in a big way. We need something about the viscosity of what Vaseline is at room temperature, that has a LOT of film strength and glide to it, without being extremely sticky. It would also be nice if it could take 475 degrees without poofing. BW 408? Cetyl Esters? Some kind of heavy cutting oil? Anybody got any real "rod wax" from the oil field???

Gear
    What about a multi-purpose lithium grease à la the grease that Mikey likes?

Last night I made a lube base that's nuthin' but soap, mineral oil and beeswax and I think I'm going to shoot it as-is even though it's a little dry... although the viscosity seems about right at room temp. At first I thought about adding some BW-408, (which I haven't ordered yet) then I considered a heaping teaspoon of 350F drop point lithium grease (which I already have); however, I'm still curious to see how it shoots as-is at 1900 fps from my 24" '06. It's supposed to be 69F on Monday with no chance of rain.

I started with about 1/4 cup of USP Grade mineral oil, heated to 300-325F, and grated in dried Ivory until I got a soft Vaseline-like consistency with a volume of about 3 Tbs. The temp was backed down to about 175F or so and about 7 ounces of beeswax was slowly melted in. I did need to increase the temp to about 210F in order to strain out a few lumps of Ivory (when the Ivory grates, larger chips will break off the bar that won't melt) by running the grease/beeswax mix through the wife's hose. The next time I do this, I'll simply grate the Ivory into a bowl and sift out the big pieces before adding to the hot oil.

MJ

P.S. This stuff actually feels really good when worked through the fingers at room temp. I'm temped to add a teaspoon of 100% pure Jojoba oil and call it Boolit Lube.
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 02-02-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Banned

mj i got a whole bar of ivory into 12 oz's of mineral oil.
    and took the heat up past the smoke point of the mineral oil
    once it broke 400 and shot towards 450 is crosslinked and gelled.
    it breaks back down to liquid at a much lower temp and b-wax takes it well,so does a micro-wax.

Ian your last paragraph is what's really killing us here.
    we have a hundred options on the high side and 10 on the low side but nothing really in the middle.
    looks like we are back about 40 pages searching for a carrier or a way to modify the carrier again.
    i really think a blend of soy and either a micro or b-wax like i use in the complex moly is really worth looking at some more.
    even though i am using a percentage of lith grease to modify it, it could be done with the vaseline/or mineral oil/sod.stearate grease just as easily.

Banned

Don, the lithium grease isn't quite it, it's only an ~ISO 220 viscosity group II brightstock oil thickened with lithium soap, not a heavy oil or extremely soft wax with really loooooonnng hydrocarbon chains like we need here. To put it in perspective if you're not familiar with ISO oil viscosity grades, I'm looking at something in the 30,000-50,000 range, about like honey. Some of the super-heavy smoke-reducing engine oil additives (Smoke-B-Gone, etc.) would do it, but they have such terrible VI's that I hesitate to even try them. Lucas oil stabilizer is definitely a good thing to consider, especially the synthetic which is lower viscosity but much higher VI, but I'd like something thicker still and not as sticky, like soft wax. Maybe I should revisit the soap lube with Lucas oil, I did a BUNCH of work with that in the past but didn't shoot much of it.

Lamar, in a way I think we're all complicating this way more than we should, mostly out of not knowing what's really out there for us to get. I spent a lot of time last night on the BW site reading TD sheets on their standard blends, there's some stuff there that will work I'm sure. Here's the deal: Joe uses a very polished, flexy blended wax, adds some waxy, thick petrolatum and modifies that with some mineral oil, then soaps it and adds castor oil at we figure 2-3%. So he's modifying a wax that acts about like beeswax except it's petroleum-based so that it's even softer and more pliable, and uses soap as a stabilizer and lube. The castor oil may or may not do much, but it will keep a two-stroke engine alive at less than 50:1 concentration, so I'm betting it does more than he thinks. So here's what I'm thinking: Just find a wax (maybe like BW 408???) that is ALREADY formulated with microwax and other waxes/oils/whatever they use and has a high melt point (160-ish), soap it, add a titch of ester-based two-stroke oil to help out with boundary conditions and extreme cold, and be done with it.

We could skip the search for just the right petrolatum and mineral oil if we could only find the right wax base. With a high melt-point base wax, we could get by with much less soap, since it's only really there for high-temp stability and as a binder that keeps too much from being left behind.

BW makes everything from duck wax to curtain wax to modeler's sculpting wax to basic blending-grade pure paraffin and microwaxes, I'm betting they already make just what we're after. I'm going to try to get someone there on the phone next week and talk tech. I've called before about wax analysis and there seems to be a go-to guy for tech stuff there, but he was out that day.

Gear

Banned

I went through all three pages of the BW formulas and picked out these which may be of some interest. The two numbers after the congeal temp are the hardness measure, worked penetration with a 1.0mm needle at 77F and 100F, to give you an idea of the hardness. BW 431 is hard as a rock, very brittle, and my slab was pure bright white (it says lt. yellow now).

BW 100F01 cheese wax------------145F 36-103 flexy, no crack good coating properties
    BW 139B clear cheese wax--------161F 25-50 220 CPS @210F
    BW 2606 brown carving blocks----165F 7-25 carving wax holds shape and is smooth.
    BW 408 white microwa------------170F 70-135 475F flash soft and tacky
    BW 429 yellow microwax-------- 164F 26-96 1.5% oil content
    BW 430 light yellow microwax ---- 155F 25-103
    BW 431 light yellow microwax ---- 168F 9-31 1% oil content
    BW 570 wine bottle sealing wax----147F 12-37
    BW 570b wine sealing wax----------173F 13-36
    BW 580 hand dip wine wax---------170F 3-7 easy to peel off bottle at all temps
    BW 614 paste-up wax--------------154F 26-116 flexy no crack excellent coating properties
    ***BW 635 Plug grease 148F, 190 penetration Plug wax for chees packaging applications, light colored, soft pliable petrolatum blend with excellent seaing properties, anti-fungal additive, 5-gallon pail only.
    BW 678 sculpting wax--------------144F 12-52
    Duck wax---------------------------140F 13-67 micro-paraffin blend

Gear

Banned

i remember hearing of duck wax somewheres before,it might be the commercial casters choice.
    i can see why 408 is chosen by many, it seems like a vaseline modified parrafin wax allready.

many of them look to go soft on the 100-f end and take the penetration too easily,or are alway's hard.

now that 139-b.
    good flow visc at temp, semi soft, doesn't change a lot over the 23* temp swing.
    and has a decent melt temp.
    gotta remember that microwaxes don't hold lube like b-wax does it has smaller pores,so it has to flow and become a lube at a decent temp without falling apart at 110-f.
    a soap and a metal might be just about all that's needed, is something that adds lubricity on the low end without blowing the hot end needed???
    if we disregarded the very first shot thing in favor of long strings then a poly oil would fill the bill nicely but i could live without it...
    the metal/soap could take over for the first shot easily.
    when temps are in the 20 area i have no issues with the moly lube and the first shot in group.
    remember i only modified it for below these temps.
    i'm sure it is because it leaves so little behind in the barell.
    if we get the film down to a dry lube the first shot thing would clear itself up for the most part without affecting the hot end.
    so a flexable wax that flows under pressure and would take a soap without the soap drying it out,and a metal.
    might be the whole answer.
    we just need to find a flexable wax that doesn't flow too much but still seals the lands and grooves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    many of them look to go soft on the 100-f end and take the penetration too easily,or are alway's hard.

now that 139-b.
    good flow visc at temp, semi soft, doesn't change a lot over the 23* temp swing.
    and has a decent melt temp.
    gotta remember that microwaxes don't hold lube like b-wax does it has smaller pores,so it has to flow and become a lube at a decent temp without falling apart at 110-f. That 139b jumped out at me too. I wish they had more info, the data sheets are very spotty and I copied all the descriptive notes they had, but I'll try to press for more detail on that one when I call. I also liked the fact that the 139b is still a 220 viscosity "oil" at the boiling point of water, that's much better than most microwaxes that turn water-thin at not much above their melt point.
    a soap and a metal might be just about all that's needed, is something that adds lubricity on the low end without blowing the hot end needed??? Bob has mentioned a few times that the wax is all that's needed for lube, of course he doesn't shoot when it's 105F outside so he has no need for soaps. I'm starting to feel that all we need to zeroF for lube is two-stroke oil at about 2-3%.
    if we disregarded the very first shot thing in favor of long strings then a poly oil would fill the bill nicely but i could live without it...
    the metal/soap could take over for the first shot easily.
    when temps are in the 20 area i have no issues with the moly lube and the first shot in group.
    remember i only modified it for below these temps.
    i'm sure it is because it leaves so little behind in the barell. I think THAT is the key, not the fancy oils. Back when we started this quest in earnest I felt that it was all about maintaining a consistent WET, even pre-conditioning the bore to quell the first-shot flyer, but Joe's lube and a dry Felix lube mix have convinced me otherwise. Two-stroke oil and ATF, if you don't use too much, doesn't affect the hot shooting or long strings in a bad way, but it does seem to counteract the hardening of the wax at lower temps (we've beaten that one to death, haven't we? LOL)
    if we get the film down to a dry lube the first shot thing would clear itself up for the most part without affecting the hot end. That's exactly it, we do that and we have it licked. The right wax, soap it up, and a dab of high-VI synthetic oil to keep friction consistent in the cold and during boundary heat conditions, and moly or hBN to make it more surface-insensitive (smooth or rough bores) ought to be as close as we'll ever get to meeting our requirements.
    so a flexable wax that flows under pressure and would take a soap without the soap drying it out,and a metal.
    might be the whole answer. The soap does dry it out some depending on how much you use. If you use a whole lot, it obviously takes more oil, which makes the lube too slippery (like Longhorn did at first), and then you have to add that pesky intermediate like GOOD Vaseline to even it all out. But if we can find a wax that doesn't need so much plasticization (is that a word?) like these softer, stretchy, flexy waxes that still have high melt points, then we can put in a significant amount of sodium soap (30%) and get by with the amount of thin synthetic oil that helps but not have to add so much that it has to be countered with a fourth major ingredient.
    we just need to find a flexable wax that doesn't flow too much but still seals the lands and grooves. Ja. Good thing we've been screwing with waxes for years so we have an idea what we're after.
    I messed around with some hBN and the Strawberry Ice lube with my wear tester, lookin' good there. I mentioned the feature of surface-insensitivity above because that's what I found tonight, and checked again with some powdered moly I have. A while back I took some 120-grit and slightly roughed one section of the steel spindle to test the effects of bore surface on various lubes. The hBN and Moly both seem to fill up the gaps and a lot less lead gets shaved off. It takes a brief break-in, but once either is in the scratches it stays pretty well. I never did get ZDDP to appreciably accumulate, but I was using low-concentration samples, ~5% or so, and probably won't show benefit in anything approaching rough bores. The hBN might prove to be the "great equalizer" across a wide range of bore surface finishes after seasoning.

Eutectic, your Strawberry Ice is indeed a perfect example of that "missing ingredient" like you said and I've been talking about in the last few posts, beeswax needs something else of a viscosity range in between itself the two-stroke oil to work without having to add so much two-stroke oil for plasticity that it becomes too slippery. We have make the overall viscosity of the lube what we need (flow better than beeswax) without putting the lubricity factor through the roof. I'm postulating a pre-formulated wax that needs only a splash of ester oil to work without needing that elusive, additional, non-slippery plasticizer. Check out the stuff I posted on the BW stock formulas and see what you think.

Gear

I'm postulating a pre-formulated wax that needs only a splash of ester oil (OR Jojoba?) to work without needing that elusive, additional, non-slippery plasticizer. Check out the stuff I posted on the BW stock formulas and see what you think.

Gear
    You guys do know about Jojoba, right?

And yes, I think BW is the right track.

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 02-03-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Better link to Jojoba report

Banned

Yes, we know about Jojoba. That's why we aren't using it.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    mj i got a whole bar of ivory into 12 oz's of mineral oil.
    and took the heat up past the smoke point of the mineral oil
    once it broke 400 and shot towards 450 is crosslinked and gelled.
    it breaks back down to liquid at a much lower temp and b-wax takes it well,so does a micro-wax.
    Lamar,

My concentration of Ivory to mineral oil was just a little lower, but pretty close... I'd say a tad less than 1/3 of a bar in about a teaspoon under 4oz of USP (not baby oil) mineral oil and I probably could have gone a bit higher... and just might the next time. The resulting grease was not quiet as stiff as Vaseline... but pretty darn close. I'm anxious to shoot the stuff I made this weekend (I did add 1/2 Tbs 100% Jojoba oil to 7.5 oz* lube last night).

One question that's nagging me though: just how firm should the lube be at room temp? To create a permanent, noticeable, yet slight, crater with my thumbprint on a block of lube that's cooled over night I need about 25-30 pounds of pressure.

* Originally, I indicated adding about 7 oz of beeswax but that amount is a little high. A double check of the block I broke the piece from that was added to the Ivory grease revealed it weighed closer to 6 ounces than 7.

MJ

Yes, we know about Jojoba. That's why we aren't using it.

Gear
    How about a little more detail? 25 words or less, please. Freezing point too high?

Thank you,
    MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 02-03-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Page 77 of 153 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127 ... LastLast