WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 31 of 153 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast

Thread: "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest...

Banned
    Gee Don..you're always looking for shortcuts aren't ya. The tp is the rebar so that viscosity does not have to be higher than it needs to be...please try to keep up.

Banned

yeah things change direction fast.
    i think this is/has to be one of the highest page counts iv'e seen around here.

Ian.
    i was thinking of t/p becoming an ingredient in one of the E-lubes. [taking the content as high as possible]
    making it possible to lower the wax even more......
    the lower we can get the final visc ,without it crashing to liquid in the heat, and still have it make the throat jump the better the lube will be.
    if we leave a smaller amount of free oils ,after the initial thickening [without locking everything up into a solid], we can control that secondary part of the final visc and it's oil release better.

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Gee Don..you're always looking for shortcuts aren't ya. The tp is the rebar so that viscosity does not have to be higher than it needs to be...please try to keep up.

Gotcha... rebar...

Oak-key-dough-key then, more power to ya.

After you all have done all the hard work and spent weeks, nah months of development, send me a pound of "rebar lube" and I'll test it along side LBT Soft Blue in the heat of the Southwest and we'll see which one produces the most 5-shot one holers.

Gotta run

MJ

Banned
    Gear and R5R are doing the work...I am just a spectator/Monday night quarterback. I have done my playing/mess making...when they square it away...i will make up a batch though.

flour? as a consistant size fiber filler for lube/ with wax and gelled oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I'll test it along side LBT Soft Blue in the heat of the Southwest and we'll see which one produces the most 5-shot one holers.
    MJ
    MJ,

"The heat of the Southwest" is only testing half of this equation we want is it not?

In my experience several "big name" boolit lubes shoot great in the heat... then fall on their face literally in bitter cold.

For me.... I would like to see a lube that produces the most 5-shot one holers in the Southwest heat also be able to repeat the same performance at 5 below zero here in the mountains....

Eutectic

Banned
    Eutectic ................that is exactly the goal, hopefully the kickers are successful. I have tried, and I have failed. I bounced a few off of the uprights but none went between them.

Boolit Grand Master
    That, to me, is the ultimate goal. A lube that works equally well at 100 degrees as it does at zero.

357. Max has an awesome cold weather lube. No cold barrel flyer with MML. Word I hear is that it gets a bit lose over 80 degrees or so.

Carnuba Red is great at any reasonable temp over 50 degrees but my rifles throw cold barrel flyers at temps below 40.

This is a common issue with lube recipes. 357 Max created one that works in his cold MI winters. Others have lubes that work well in the southern heat. We poor souls in NE get both. I can shoot in 90 plus degree heat all summer long then have months of 40 degrees or colder in winter. Changing lubes is a pain.

Banned
    I could post a pic of my solution. It looks alot like 3 lyman #45 sizers sitting a foot apart mounted to a bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is exactly what I want to avoid.

Banned

Ya mean like this, Mike?:

Went to the range again yesterday evening with the Pink Hairball lube, looks like I have some more learnin' to do. The apparent mistake I made was using a lube that was too soft and slippery to begin with, then adding as much fiber as it would easily absorb. I figured if the fibers kept the viscosity under control, more slickum could be added right? Well, not so much. The "lube" I used was a leftover experiment of 2 oz microwax, .5 oz shape wax, .5 oz soft microwax (Bruce's), 2 TBS syn ATF. Pretty soft and very slick as you might imagine. Anyway I kept getting flyers every few shots until I finally started patching the bore every shot, then things settled down. Seems to be working other than I made it too slick once again.

Next 'spearmint is gonna involve some grease mixed with that wax! (didn't I say that before?)

Gear

Banned
    That is waaaaaay to clean to look like mine...if you add about 2 cubic yards of assorted SHTUFF on there you would be alot closer. It would take me an hour and a pitchfork, and a Priest to make mine look like that.

Gear..have you tried the fluff mixed in a standard 70/30 beewax/lithi grease?

Banned

Yeah, I used a reject batch of micro-lithi for the first go, I think it was about 40% BW-431 and 60% of half Mobil 1 straight from the tube and half lithium complex brick grease. Much better with the grease. I'll try this again but I'm out of seasoned C312-185-Rs now. I tried some 311041s too but this gun never did like them much with its oversized bore.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Eutectic View Post
    MJ,

"The heat of the Southwest" is only testing half of this equation we want is it not?
    You betcha... That's why I'm requesting a pound, so I'll have enough remaining to test at my 4200' location in No. Wyoming during January '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Eutectic View Post
    In my experience several "big name" boolit lubes shoot great in the heat... then fall on their face literally in bitter cold.

For me.... I would like to see a lube that produces the most 5-shot one holers in the Southwest heat also be able to repeat the same performance at 5 below zero here in the mountains....
    Eutectic
    5 below is pushing it. I won't be setting up many targets when it's 5 below and I doubt there will be a whole lot growing in No. WY for the varmints to pilfer.

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    That, to me, is the ultimate goal. A lube that works equally well at 100 degrees as it does at zero.

357. Max has an awesome cold weather lube. No cold barrel flyer with MML. Word I hear is that it gets a bit lose over 80 degrees or so.
    You know, I wouldn't mind having two lubes that span the entire weather spectrum. Two luber-sizers, two lubes, one for the growing season and one for fall/winter... that's reasonable.

Carnuba Red is great at any reasonable temp over 50 degrees but my rifles throw cold barrel flyers at temps below 40.
    I've never tried Carnauba Red, but have shot lots of BAC and I get cold barrel flyers with that stuff even at 60-70F (rifle in the shade, under a cover)*. To quantify that, a flyer is outside of a 1" group at 75 yards.

This is a common issue with lube recipes. 357 Max created one that works in his cold MI winters. Others have lubes that work well in the southern heat. We poor souls in NE get both. I can shoot in 90 plus degree heat all summer long then have months of 40 degrees or colder in winter. Changing lubes is a pain.
    I actually have a "winter" pan lube that beats BAC for group size in my location in the desert. I would prefer having two Luber-sizers though because I need to watch the pour temp of the pan lube so it doesn't anneal heat-treated boolits. Sticking a thermomter in the melted pan lube to make sure it doesn't exceed about 220F before pouring is kind of a pain.

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 05-28-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: * needed qualification

That is exactly what I want to avoid.
    Perhaps the lube engineers can reduce the required Lyman 450 (or similar) count to two. I don't think 1 (one) is in the cards unless you live in FL or perhaps San Diego.

MJ

Banned

one lube will do both directions easily.
    you just modify it for the cold.
    i do that now, i'm trying to expand that window.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I'm begining to think it's time to add eye of newt and ear of bat and I'm sure the paper additive you need is shredded paper from the same paper mill Gutenberg used. Some neat stuff going on here for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    one lube will do both directions easily.
    you just modify it for the cold.
    i do that now, i'm trying to expand that window.
    Keep up the good work, Lamar.

I'm prayin' fer ya.

MJ

Boolit Grand Master

Good work fellers!
    Gear, I am watching closely to see how your fibrous lube turns out. Good info, solid experimentation!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Page 31 of 153 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast