Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 PBcastco
Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143144145146147148149150151152153
Results 3,041 to 3,055 of 3055

Thread: "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest...

Moderator Emeritus

The photos show, when I pull up that thread.
    All my photos are on photobucket, and are linked to, and are not on the CB server, and never have been.

with that said, photobucket is quirky and slow, so if you see the "kitten" and some message that says sorry no image (or something like that), just try again later...because they are there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

the biggest thing you need to worry about is initial temperature and stirring through the foam of adding the soap.

the long chain molecule thing of the base waxes is something we are working on. [slowly]
    I have figured out a way to get and add long carbon chains to a lube.
    but what to do with it?
    the real issue is the waxes themselves.
    they leave residue behind and that residue is the real down fall to the barrels condition.
    the less wax and oil you use in a lube the better.
    but then what do you have left to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The photos show, when I pull up that thread.
    All my photos are on photobucket, and are linked to, and are not on the CB server, and never have been.

with that said, photobucket is quirky and slow, so if you see the "kitten" and some message that says sorry no image (or something like that), just try again later...because they are there.
    Must have been a browser quirk on my end the first time I loaded that page. I was getting the torn photo icon in the browser, but now it's working fine. Thanks again, Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the biggest thing you need to worry about is initial temperature and stirring through the foam of adding the soap.

the long chain molecule thing of the base waxes is something we are working on. [slowly]
    I have figured out a way to get and add long carbon chains to a lube.
    but what to do with it?
    the real issue is the waxes themselves.
    they leave residue behind and that residue is the real down fall to the barrels condition.
    the less wax and oil you use in a lube the better.
    but then what do you have left to work with?
    Man, I have no idea how you guys are able to do this. It'd drive me nuts. But I'll happily cook up whatever recipes you guys throw our way.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Grand Master
    Phlier,

I agree with you. These guys have forgotten more about lube than most of us know. I have read this thread at least twice over the years. There is a ton of experience and work invested here.

I had hoped one of the commercial suppliers would have picked up on 6-6-6+1 but I am not aware of anyone supplying it. Making lube is not for me...still this is interesting and I continue to follow it.

Don Verna

Banned

a shorter and just as informative thread to read is my 'simple lube' thread.
    it deals with making my lube of course but it goes into the what's and why's and stuff further in.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    SNIP...

I had hoped one of the commercial suppliers would have picked up on 6-6-6+1 but I am not aware of anyone supplying it. Making lube is not for me...still this is interesting and I continue to follow it.
    I thought about offering SL68B commercially (for about 5 minutes ).
    BUT, the problem with a Soap Lube recipe is, for the backyard lube maker, using a campstove and soup pot, you can only make small batches (one batch from my recipe, fills two tuna cans).

It's not like melting Beeswax and adding some oil (the speed green recipe). It's more like making friut Jam, with the old timey recipe where you don't add commercial Pectin. Those recipes are small also, due to the high heat you need to get the mixture up to, but not scorch it. The larger you increase the recipe to, the longer it takes to heat the mixture and the longer it takes to cool...both conditions increase the likelihood of scorching.

Now with that said, Satan's Lube would be a lot easier than SL68B, because of the low soap content...but still more difficult than a Speed Green type recipe. My issue is, I am committed to the SL68B recipe and am not interested in making Satan's Lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I'd rather make the 68B than the 666 lube too.
    the 666 is a good enough lube but doesn't work well in the heat.
    this whole thing started cause of wide temp swings while shooting.
    I was shooting in the 20's and Gear was shooting in the low 90's on the same day, we couldn't share lube recipes with any sort of satisfaction.

Whatever leaves the most consistent (and probly least) residue on the bore. Really good to see you guys at it again! I've lost interest in most of the lubes being talked about for some time. This thread gave some valuable footing upon which to base further work, even if it didn't provide a total answer, and seems to me that we should work forward from here rather than entertaining recipes that pop into the imagination of beginners.
    Last edited by leftiye; 02-08-2017 at 09:07 AM.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Whatever leaves the most consistent (and probly least) residue on the bore. Really good to see you guys at it again! I've lost interest in most of the lubes being talked about for some time. This thread gave some valuable footing upon which to base further work, even if it didn't provide a total answer, and seems to me that we should work forward from here rather than entertaining recipes that pop into the imagination of beginners.
    I think the smart guys that were working on it took it as far as they could.

Who knows, maybe they're still working on it, but haven't made any improvements noteworthy enough to post about it here. It would be nice to hear about what (if anything) they are working on, but can't blame them a bit if they don't want to have to read a bunch of questions about every little change they make.

Since SL-68B seems to be pretty close to a "one size fits all" lube, it may be time to attempt to alter it, using microcrystalline waxes that are readily available without having to buy a pallet load at a time. The goal being, of course, to get a lube that functions as close to the original SL-68B as possible, but with readily available components.

IMO, that's why the interest in SL-68B kinda waned; it was made with waxes that are just too hard for the average Joe to get.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Buddy
    Phlier,
    http://www.sculpt.com/
    You might check out this place for small quantities. I have ordered from them and have had no problems.
    After successfuly making SL68B the first time you find it's really not that hard to repeat. The main thing is to get it hot enough to dissolve/melt all of the soap.
    It is a good lube as has been stated.

Boolit Master

The Thread LIVES!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I thought about offering SL68B commercially (for about 5 minutes ).
    BUT, the problem with a Soap Lube recipe is, for the backyard lube maker, using a campstove and soup pot, you can only make small batches (one batch from my recipe, fills two tuna cans).
    I guess this highlights part of why The Quest has been such a tough nut to crack, and is why I never did get around to making the stuff - either a volume quantity of pistol bullets, or an aggressive casting session of 4-groove .45-70 slugs will plow through two tuna cans worth of lube in no time at all. It solves most, if not all, of the extreme SHOOTING concerns, but not the extreme LOADING concern, and as such, doesn't really get us to a one-lube state. Like Comrade Stalin said "Quantity has a Quality all it's own".

A little voice had me wondering if certain additives to silicone bathroom caulk or automotive gasket sealer would solve the problem. . .the drying out to form a stable surface might be beneficial, but then I considered the effects of it drying out inside the lubrisizer. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

we had a good discussion about using powder coat uncooked to lap out barrels.
    then another one to burn the stuff to get the long carbon chains.

so you ain't the only one thinking outside the box.
    it is however best to think things out to their finality.

Boolit Master

The trick to my outside the box thinking on this topic is to not get so deep into the box that I start to understand what goes on in there. As I recall in my early days on this forum - about the time this thread launched, I was bringing up my foodie-wife's experiences with maltodextrin as a thickener for. . .peanut butter, IIRC. I'll just chime in when the moths rattle my brain appropriately. One of the little ******** might be useful.

In other ponderances. . .

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the 666 is a good enough lube but doesn't work well in the heat.
    Satan's Lube doesn't work at high temperatures... Apparently, the lube burns as much as the irony...
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodean98 View Post
    Phlier,
    http://www.sculpt.com/
    You might check out this place for small quantities. I have ordered from them and have had no problems.
    After successfuly making SL68B the first time you find it's really not that hard to repeat. The main thing is to get it hot enough to dissolve/melt all of the soap.
    It is a good lube as has been stated.
    Much appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    So, anyone wind up with an extra pound of one or two microwaxes they want to unload? I'm on the verge of getting ambitious. Once I get the last lead flecks off of the last mould I poured with.

Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143144145146147148149150151152153