Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 149 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4999139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153 LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3055

Thread: "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest...

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    There was a certain percentage of hBN by weight that you found optimal, or at least what you considered maximum IIRC, do you remember what it was? Something like 2%? That might be handy for others to know.

Gear
    I started at 2% by weight..... Went down to 1.5% and the gain in C.O.R.E. was still there (very little) and the lube cohesiveness was a lot better than at 2%. I tested back and forth with and without hBN.... Finally just left it out. I don't want to breathe it either. It a really fine particulate.

I second NO MOLY!!!! Lamar likes it though!

Eutectic

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried moly powder added to the lube and just didn't get results with it. I was pleasantly surprised that I never got black junk all over my hands from it.

Now Gear, you mentioned a few tweaks to 666-1.

Maybe 666-1-1+1?

6 parts each vaseline, paraffin, and beeswax plus 1 part Ivory, 1 part microwax, and 1 tablespoon per pound of castor oil?

What about using the 90 wt gear oil and microwax to "make" some vaseline to use? Add that in place of commercial vaseline and then add the castor oil.

Sounds about right?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

Take a look at Pete's tweaks to 666-1, where he added a dash of castor and Jojoba, that's where I'd start, then maybe substitute in some microwax for part of the beeswax. That lube is pretty soft as is, I don't think it needs much more oily stuff like mineral gear oil, in fact that stuff tends to detract slightly from the lube's qualities, check the difference between SL-68 and the .1 version with GL-1 gear oil instead of Vaseline and see.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Re: the now-Unobtanium "Navy Wax" surplussed out of Fallon NAS, perhaps the heart of the UN-reproduceable but first proven "Extreme" lube, the lengendary StarMetal mix of a bit more than a decade ago...

I'm working on getting the wax analyzed, with any luck we should know something in about a month.
    Gear
    I know that "about" really means approximate.

And I remember that it's zero-cost since you have friends in high places, so to speak.

But I also got no patience...is it time to send a six-pack somewhere so you have high friends...home address so the professional work is not compromised?

Just thinkin'. An' a-hopin'.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    What is this "666 minus 1" that I keep reading about?

665 Lube?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    Now that is cheating, don't go doing the math!

However, I just made a batch of 15.67
    Last edited by btroj; 02-15-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    What is this "666 minus 1" that I keep reading about?

665 Lube?
    Just wait till you see the 666-1+1+1-1x2/3 lube.

Sarcasm out of the way. I'm planning on using Eutectic's "blend" of the 6661 lube and see how it works out for me. He shoots in much colder temps than I care to venture outside to shoot in. When its that cold here, I stay by the fire and only go out to get another log....

I too have wondered about the mystery wax analysis as well. Just from all I've read and watched here it will be an interesting discovery regardless of just what that stuff is.

Banned

It's a hyphen, Hamish, not a minus sign. I didn't reply to your PM requesting I stop using that particular nomenclature because, frankly, we both ought to have more important things to worry about. Perhaps you should contact Mike if you have a way and ask him how he prefers "Satan Lube" be referred to, and get back with us. Out of respect to Mike, I'll refer to it however he wishes, or not at all if that's what he'd like.

I haven't asked about the wax, it's probably been examined thoroughly by now, but I don't know. I'll ask about it at an appropriate time. In the meantime, if anyone else wants to have a sample analyzed, I'll send an ounce or so to them.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually 666-1 is quite descriptive.

Mine me was a modified 666-1 as I ran out of Vaseline and subbed a few other things for it.

Hey Gear, have you played with tranny gel any more? Wonder how it does in 666-1? Call it Hulk Satan lube?

Banned

No, I haven't. The Assemblee Goo is straight-chain paraffin stuff, the TransJel is napthenic. The Goo ought to be better based on everything we've learned about napthenics being too slippery. The big downfall, and frequent flyer syndrome, with the Goo was when I was messing with it I didn't know to add microcrystalline wax to it instead of paraffin....now I do. Might be worth a go, I really don't like storebought Vaseline.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    I may make up a batch and see what it does. It is a bit more firm than Vaseline and doesn't mind the heat at all. Add some microwave in place of the paraffin, or at least some, and see what it does.
    I like the beeswax to balance the microwax. Microwax is tacky enough and without something to balance that it gives a line that has odd feel to it. It is also a sticky lube to handle.

Boolit Master

I refuse to use moly in my lubes, either. My guns don't like it. YMMV.

Gear
    What kind of problems have you had using moly? I have recently been experimenting with a moly lube that has given me good results.
    Does it cause corrosion problems on your firearm?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I added dry moly powder to a lube. It mixed in well and made a dryer feeling lube. It didn't shoot well so I stopped working with it.
    Pm Run, I think he used a moly grease to some success.

Banned

I got a wicked fouling from Mobil Centaur grease, but it had graphite and calcium sulphonate in it, too.

Gear

Boolit Master

I have been using a moly wheel bearing grease in place of lucas red n tacky in bens red recipe. I had to add a little more beeswax to get the right consistency.
    It has worked great in cold weather I am just concerned it will give me problems in the summer.

Boolit Master

Here is a group shot with a handi rifle in 357 mag using the moly lube. I was just starting to try out the mihec 359-640 mold. The group below was a 10 shot group including the first shot from a cold clean barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	130920
    This was just a 50yd group so I know that does not mean a lot but thats what I am able to shoot off of my porch. Weather has been brutal here and I have not made it shoot any longer distance for a while.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, Glokky, I'll take that size of a 50-yard group in .357 any day, even from a rifle!

What temp were the rifle and ammo? A chilled out full cold test like our other intrepid explorers have done? Or cold start and continuing the string? What is lacking from some recent attempts, IMO, was the straight string starting from everything cold. There is GREAT value in the 5- and more shots with the gun and ammo fully cooled off between shots, but I am also interested in what happens during a regular string of 5 or more.

Gear--I understand about asking when the time is right. Sounds like you can't just drop by with a pizza to help make the time right...

Glokky: We never tested it outside the heat that we were concerned about which always melted the old NRA 50/50 lube, but my Dad did come up with a great lube starting with Moly wheel bearing grease and I think a quantity of Do-All green band saw lube. I was busy replenishing his lifetime supply of .45 ammo (using RandyRat's Tac#1 and our own cast boolits) and let him get away without asking about that successful 1985-ish experiment. NEVER had a flyer of any sort. We went to only 1900 fps in the .30 Carbine with gas checks, but equaling the accuracy we got from Sierra and Speer jacketed bullets, with full power loads (and a pointy boolit to boot) was quite satisfying. Miss him.

Banned

He's four hours away, and is busy getting a jump on meeting the 2016 federal fuel requirements, so I'm not dropping by with a pizza just yet.

Gear

Boolit Master

Grump it was in the 20's when that group was shot. I personally don't do much shooting when it get colder than that. The ammo and gun were outside for about half an hour before a shot was fired. I was actually shooting my revolver first. You can see one of the shots from the revolver on the top left of the pic. The load was different that what I usually shoot in the revolver and did not shoot POA.

I will do some more testing later from an actual bench. That group was fired resting off the porch rail. Wont be this week though, we are in the process of getting around 10-14" of snow and I have picket duty this week. Hope the strike ends soon lol

Banned

No, I haven't. The Assemblee Goo is straight-chain paraffin stuff, the TransJel is napthenic. The Goo ought to be better based on everything we've learned about napthenics being too slippery. The big downfall, and frequent flyer syndrome, with the Goo was when I was messing with it I didn't know to add microcrystalline wax to it instead of paraffin....now I do. Might be worth a go, I really don't like storebought Vaseline.

Gear
    Brad, I made a basic SL with the Assemblee Goo yesterday, in fact I cooked it twice because I misjudged the fully molten point of the soap the first time. It separates into two very distinct layers, apparently the AG doesn't like the microwax, though they both seem to take the soap. My proportions were thirds by weight plus a dash of castor. It could be remelted to the gravy stage and blended nicely, and I may do that with a small amount just to see how it shoots.

Gear

Page 149 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4999139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153 LastLast