Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 148 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4898138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153 LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 3055

Thread: "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest...

Banned

Ah, the lube misadventures! We've all had them and some are pretty funny in retrospect, but unfortunately are difficult to work into a conversation. I told Brad if anyone asks about that scar on his thumb from a splash of molten soap lube to tell them something about snagging it on an exposed rivet while jumping from the upper deck of an Italian tour bus to save some screaming girl from a dozen Mafia kidnappers....or something like that.

Gear

Banned

Bigslug, even 20-weight oil adds a significant amount of compression to an internal combustion engine. Oiling rings aren't just for cooling and lubrication. But.....we'll never know for sure unless we can see what comes out ahead of the bullet.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    J-lube is nothing more than high pressure valve lube.
    it has shot well [consistently] over a pretty good range of temperatures, the issue I had with it was trying to modify it with other waxes or oils. [the poly-glycol base has it's issues]

the 3 am flaming dripping ball of lube and plastic was one of those attempts.
    The stuff I'm speaking of, if you are replying to my(or geargnashers reply to me) post, is vegetable oil based as geargnasher said. Now, if vegetable oil is poly-glycol , excuse me, I'm not a chemist.

Also, I know many people have used Murphy's oil soap for different concoctions, but most do not know it comes in a gel/paste form also. I've often wondered what that might do as a base for some lube. Once again, if that is poly-glycol, please forgive me.

Edit: Maybe not so good.
    10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
    GENERAL: This product is stable. Hazardous polymerization will not occur.
    INCOMPATIBLE MATERIALS: Avoid contact with strong oxidizing and reducing agents, acids, alkalis, organic peroxides a
    nd easily ignitable materials. Avoid prolonged contact with reactive metals (e.g. aluminum, brass,
    bronze, etc.).
    HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION: May produce irritating or poisonous gases upon thermal decomposition.
    Last edited by hpdrifter; 01-20-2015 at 07:06 AM.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Bigslug, even 20-weight oil adds a significant amount of compression to an internal combustion engine. Oiling rings aren't just for cooling and lubrication. But.....we'll never know for sure unless we can see what comes out ahead of the bullet.
    Worse still, I think we'd need some really high-def imagery of several kinds of bullet at several fractionally different stages of their exit from the crown. . . and THEN do it again with gas checked designs. Determining what is gas blowby and what is bore crud and compressed air being "pistoned" out of the barrel by the slug might pose challenges as well. I'm guessing if you had a seriously long Loverin style bullet that WAS sealing, you'd see a pause in emissions once the front driving band got to the crown.

THEN we'd still need cameras farther downrange for "flingability" observations. . .

Too bad the military is so hooked on jacketed these days - if this was 1878, the Army would fund everything discussed on this thread (and half the tinkering on this entire board) in a heartbeat. I guess this is how it feels to be on the cutting edge of saving George A. Custer's butt.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

no Rick.
    poly glycols are completely different than vegetable based oils.
    they actually contain some poly/glycol solids.

vegetable type oils have been a focus a time or two throughout this thread.
    one of the last conversations I had with Felix was about sunflower seed oil, and how best to modify it for boolit lube.
    we discussed polymerization of the vegetable and other oils quite a bit.

I'm sure he believed a polymer was going to be the end all as far as boolit lube was/is concerned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    no Rick.
    poly glycols are completely different than vegetable based oils.
    they actually contain some poly/glycol solids.

vegetable type oils have been a focus a time or two throughout this thread.
    one of the last conversations I had with Felix was about sunflower seed oil, and how best to modify it for boolit lube.
    we discussed polymerization of the vegetable and other oils quite a bit.

I'm sure he believed a polymer was going to be the end all as far as boolit lube was/is concerned.
    Ok, good. I didn't believe poly glycol was a vegetable product, but like I said, I'm not a chemist and not up to all the newest, greatest info.

I thought poly glycol was referring to either a polyethylene glycol or maybe a polypropylene glycol, or some other derivative thereof.

Sorry to jump on the end here for the sake of "laziness" I wasn't gonna read 147 pages. I thought maybe vegetable base had been discussed, but not sure. Wasn't sure if anyone had been exposed to the 555 type of lubricant/sealant and just thought I'd throw it out there.

I'll leave the experts alone now. And, I don't mean that in any negative fashion, there is no sarcasm involved.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned

Valve packing grease is made of all sorts of things depending on what it needs to do and the chemicals the valves handle, and the working temperatures and pressures. Look at the list in that link, all sorts of stuff. Polyglycols are used where petroleum solvents are present because of hydrophobia, the two won't mix and wash out the packing. Some of them might prove to be very effective bullet lubricants at a wide range of temperatures, but we haven't tested them all, by any means!

What we HAVE tested, quite a bit, is my little theory on "non-melting" lubes. That's pretty much a no-go. We've actually come up with some stuff and while it didn't lead, bore consistency was terrible and accuracy universally sucked until some sort of wax was added. I even used a straight oven grease with a 2k F. working point, all it did was leave a clay wash in the bore and shoot huge groups. That's why they call them "theories" until adequate testing is done to reach some sort of conclusion. My conclusion is that cast bullet lubricant needs to contain at least 1/3 wax.

Gear

Banned

back to a carrier, middle modifier, and an oil.

Banned

Tell me about it. Well, at least we know for sure after all this, eh?

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    We are?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

Oh no. Not you again. SIGHHHHHHhhhhhhh......

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    You sound like Bad Water Bill!

If nothing else lots of knowledge has been gained on what doesn't work, we have a better handle on the why too.

I must admit that Gear has done the vast majority of the heavy lifting on this. Run, he mostly just runs into the snow at 3 AM with flaming goo.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Valve packing grease is made of all sorts of things depending on what it needs to do and the chemicals the valves handle, and the working temperatures and pressures. Look at the list in that link, all sorts of stuff. Polyglycols are used where petroleum solvents are present because of hydrophobia, the two won't mix and wash out the packing. Some of them might prove to be very effective bullet lubricants at a wide range of temperatures, but we haven't tested them all, by any means!

What we HAVE tested, quite a bit, is my little theory on "non-melting" lubes. That's pretty much a no-go. We've actually come up with some stuff and while it didn't lead, bore consistency was terrible and accuracy universally sucked until some sort of wax was added. I even used a straight oven grease with a 2k F. working point, all it did was leave a clay wash in the bore and shoot huge groups. That's why they call them "theories" until adequate testing is done to reach some sort of conclusion. My conclusion is that cast bullet lubricant needs to contain at least 1/3 wax.

Gear
    Hydrophobia?
    Like Old Yeller?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    Hydrophobia?
    Like Old Yeller?
    Hmmm. . . so after all this research, our bullets now have rabies?

How do you euthanize a rabid bullet? Throw a dog at it - really hard?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy

Has anyone tried adding some of this to a concoction ?

http://www.amazon.com/Hexagonal-Boro...nitride+powder

CPL Lou

Banned

Actually....yes. I used it in the TnT series of lubes to modify the friction a bit. The experiment was based on the concept of pre-treating the bore with a patch coated in the same lube put on the bullets in order to eliminate first-shot, clean-barrel flyers. It worked well, but I was concerned about inhaling the mist from the lube after firing, hBN isn't something I want in my lungs.

Gear

There are several more conventional lube formulas with hBN on board in the Extreme Thread as well by "yours truly". Some with pretty decent results I may add. My biggest kick on hBN additions was how it changed lube texture. Kind of crumbly as a general description.....

Eutectic

Banned

Man, it's been a while, Eutectic. You are the one who sent me that little sample of hBN to begin with, and some "Strawberry Ice" lube you made with it. There was a certain percentage of hBN by weight that you found optimal, or at least what you considered maximum IIRC, do you remember what it was? Something like 2%? That might be handy for others to know.

Gear

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the info guys.
    I was thinking that it could be used to support another type of lube to get a well rounded, all weather lube, not as a primary component.
    I understand not wanting to inhale it into the lungs, but moly isn't exactly good either, yet it's used in lubes as well as a bullet coating.
    Used outdoors, I don't think it would be an issue.

CPL Lou

Banned

I refuse to use moly in my lubes, either. My guns don't like it. YMMV.

Gear

Page 148 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4898138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153 LastLast