WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest...

Banned

The sodium brick grease that Walt used to repackage as boolit lube is not longer made, either, and what info there was on it has pretty much been lost in the Texaco/Chevron merger. There are several small companies that still make and sell essentially the same thing, and you can get a case of J-sticks for about 300 bucks. Here's one place to get basically the same thing: http://www.seversonoil.com/wp-conten...ick-Grease.pdf

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    The sodium brick grease that Walt used to repackage as boolit lube is not longer made, either, and what info there was on it has pretty much been lost in the Texaco/Chevron merger. There are several small companies that still make and sell essentially the same thing, and you can get a case of J-sticks for about 300 bucks. Here's one place to get basically the same thing: http://www.seversonoil.com/wp-conten...ick-Grease.pdf

Gear
    Okay, I think it was more than a year ago that there was some discussion of what block greases are and how their melt point and physical characteristics might make them good for boolit lube...but did anyone ever TRY the stuff, as-is or modified???

Definitely old-tech, but so's beeswax, paraffin, dinosaur oil and a few drops of castor oil.

Banned

That's pretty much all we've been doing since then. TnT is a soda brick grease. So are all the SL series, except those contain some sort of wax as well. As for the lithium brick greases, they don't work so well when made hard enough to work alone. Some wax is needed, and that sort of fell into the category of "it works, but let's keep improving".

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    We are to a point of fine tweaking. Last year was a year of discovering what worked well and what didn't. We learned that some things have limits.

Now that we have last years knowledge we can move forward with some fine tuning.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Would Blended Waxes be a source to find out about the old vaseline?

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure on that Bruce. Vaseline is a mix of microwax and Milano oils. The oils are the key.

The older Vaseline was less refined than today's Vaseline. I really wonder if Vaseline today is made from microwax and mineral oil! Rather than partially refine it they could easily be totally refining the oil from the wax and adding back the oils that aren't needed elsewhere, mostly lighter mineral oils.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

I think Vaseline is now a made product rather than a point along the refining scale.
    I'm sure there is an exact recipe that's followed to the tee now.

that tallowate is something to look at too, it not dropping out or caking is definitely a bonus.
    I really think that is what happened to the SL-61-62 sodium lubes and why the addition of the LI stearate was helping control it to an extent.

Boolit Grand Master
    Certainly makes business sense to manufacture a product like Vaseline rather than depend on refiners to make it consistent.

I know this will give Gear hives but I can't help but wonder if just a tiny bit of LLA wouldn't be good in the remade Vaseline too. Maybe a drop or two even.

Banned

modifying known Vaseline with an oxidized version that has some calcium in it wouldn't hurt anything.
    I keep any alox I use in the 15% or so area [certainly below 25%] it does it's job without building up at that concentration.
    even my B.A.C. keeps the alox down in the 15% area.

Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    Okay, I think it was more than a year ago that there was some discussion of what block greases are and how their melt point and physical characteristics might make them good for boolit lube...but did anyone ever TRY the stuff, as-is or modified???

Definitely old-tech, but so's beeswax, paraffin, dinosaur oil and a few drops of castor oil.
    Hey, good idea...dinosaur oil! Has anybody tried Texas crude with some bee's wax?????

Banned

iv'e tried bakken crude and crude from Utah, they both taste awful but the Utah stuff is beyond horrible.
    crude oil does have a pretty high friction value to it though.

Boolit Grand Master
    I prefer to keep things more like me, refined........

Banned

{snicker}

Gear

Banned

Bruce381 has a keg of soft microwax that he sent some samples of, I may have to dig out that jar again and feel of it. I'll bet he can give us an idea of what's actually in it, which is a dang sight better than Al Gore's internet has been able to provide me lately.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    A keg? That sure sounds like a bunch of microwax. At some point doesn't it become macrowax?

Banned

I think the macro joke went over my head.
    I'm not sure if macro is bigger or smaller.

Boolit Grand Master
    Macro is bigger, micro is smaller.

What a great example of sarchasm.

Banned

okay got it now, that's why they call it macro economics when a republican is in the white house and micro economics when a democrat is in.
    always wondered....

Banned

Then there's "trickle-down". Good for the economy (at least good enough that the demo in the next term gets credit for the effect), but not so good for wax in the Texas summer, or anywhere else it gets hot.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    I can send you some older recipe MML guaranteed to trickle down in your summer heat.

Page 141 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151 ... LastLast