RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest...

Banned

I'd just whack a bar in half and add three level measuring tablespoons of ester, shave the Ivory with a knife and heat it 'till it liquifies and pour it into a cool container. I didn't want to fry it so mine had a big patch of foam left floating in it when I poured it out. Be careful, it goes liquid quite suddenly and the temp looks like it will skyrocket as the soap completes its phase change, not sure the K2 can take much more than absolutely necessary to melt the soap. The foamy patch didn't amount ot much when it cooled and I just kneaded the grease into a big ball when it reached room temp.

This does take a toll on components. I wore out a match-prepped lot of 200 .30-'06 cases last year screwing with this, and it takes a lot of shooting to wear them out with 2k fps loads. Now I'm looking at a hundred .30-30 cases that are starting to get sloppy primer pockets and a few tight necks. Might have to buy a gas check tool before too much longer, I cracked into the last thousand about a week ago, thought I had more but turns out that other box was full of .35s. Maybe that will be a good excuse to bed the buttstock on my .35 Remington and start playing with it, got a really sweet 45 2.1-designed boolit mould for it made by BABore with that huge, honkin' single square lube groove, it's been a really good test of lube jettison qualities in the past.

Gear

Banned
    Daaaaamn.........did not even use the clutch or ride the rrrrr's when you shifted them gears.....no wonder you gnash them.

I am going to keep on with the goo for a bit, got too much into it to stop at this point. There is an answer in there ............................for Michigan anyway.

Good Luck with the K2

Banned

Yeah, sorry Mike, you never know when this thread's gonna cut four lanes and slide sideways up an exit ramp with the Hammer down full and grabbin' gears the whole way. I haven't thrown in the towel on the SL series by any means, but if we can get away from the headache of chasing all these waxes and modifiers, why not? All that testing you did, along with Eutectic's and mine today with the binary AG/waxes told us a bunch about the components of SL. That's why I took to testing a different binary. Turns out we may not need the wax or AG, or not as much of it as we thought.

Something tells me the SL-61 or 62 will have a place in my handguns for a long time yet, that stuff is just way too clean, accurate, robust, and works way too well to orphan. Plus boolits lubed with SL stuff handle and store really well, and I store a lot of pistol boolits loose.

Gear

Banned

didn't read everything much past the targets and to the next rubbery post but the additive addition thing got me to thinking on the tnt.

bentone.

and the last one, is quite similar to how I made the magma wax batch.
    it didn't act much past the foamy grit stage and just got hotter and never come back to liquid.
    when I poured it out it acted like it had a high air content [like bread] which took a little kneading to push into a solid.

Banned

Ya. Been thunk on already. Theoretically it's a bust because it's notoriously the most incompatible thickener there is with any other grease gellant including all the stearates. But I melted polyurea soap and Ivory together and it turned to duck chit yet Ca Sulfonate and Ivory were rock-stable together, so in reality it would have to be tried to know.

Gear

Banned

have to try it.
    it would change from a thickener to a friction modifier/carrier.
    it would also make a good addition if it worked as an inert [filler] ingredient similar to the wood dust we looked at earlier

Banned
    How close is Amsoil Saber to the K2 stuff you are talkin about?

I have a pile of notes on that stuff being added to a volley of other stuff. I glanced through the notes real quick and found that equal parts of Saber/Ivory/Parraffin/Beeswax shot pretty good, but I never pursued it farther than the one range session. I will have to go find the leftover baggie in whichever tub it resides in....if that is similar.....not really versed on my earls as well as some of you. Most the time I put it in the red tank at the back of the boat.

Boolit Grand Master
    K2 is Maximas pure synthetic ester based 2 stroke racing oil. Not sure how the Amsoil stuff compares.

I think Amsoil Saber could be a polyalphaolefin synthetic base..... but I'm not sure.....

Eutectic

Banned

Saber is a PAO (polyalphaolefin). Different stuff from the POE (polyolester) synthetic that comprises Motul, Redline, and Maxima K2. One is made from Alpha Olefins and the other from a certain kind of synthetic ester. I swear the ester stuff is about a zillion times more slippery than the POE stuff, can be bad or good depending on how you blend it in boolit lube.

That Saber/Ivory/paraffin/beeswax stuff sounds like an excellent formula if all things are about the same proportion.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Just made a batch of Gears latest except I sorta added more K2 and a tiny amount of Vaseline. It is the weirdest stuff!

Will Try and shoot tomorrow and see what it does. I will also try and ask what size bar of soap to lop in half next time.

Oh well, gotta learn the upper limit for oil somehow!

Boolit Grand Master
    I come here for moral support.

Am I the only one who has a spouse who made a comment about living in Dexter's laboratory?

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I come here for moral support.

Am I the only one who has a spouse who made a comment about living in Dexter's laboratory?
    I feel that way every day...
    "The secrets of this earth are not for all men to see,but only for those who will seek them..."- Equality 7-2521 -Anthem by Ayn Rand

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Banned

mine quit talking to me long ago, unless she smells smoke or hears something loud, like a gunshot somewhere in the house.

Banned

Gear

Banned

i do have blackmail pictures of her casting her own boolits though.

Banned
    Thanks......I knew you would know. You must stay damn busy reading, loading, shooting and licking that nasty soapy aftertaste off your lips. That may be the part of soapy lubes that turns me off the most....takes two days to clear my sinusus and I get the same atmospheric- metallic/soap taste on my lips one gets while hunting geese on sewer lagoons.

All parts were dead equal by weight* 1 oz of each. I have a few targets in the notebook all shot the same day (48deg with variable wind from the right)with a couple normal and a few hot loads. The targets look pretty good...not great, but pretty good. The sample retained is a bit stiff until you push on it, then it "gives way" and it is a bit softer then Joe's original catpoo pucks...same O.D green vomit color though. Maybe I will give it another session. Not sure why I abandoned it....maybe I was just a bit tired by that point or maybe it was just a texture thing///// don't rightly recall I guess. I poured that sample out on a flat Christmas tin lid and the "puddle" looks like fake plastic vomit. F.P.V lube anyone? I will have to empty some brass before I try it again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lucky for me it doesn't stink. Yet. Smoke isn't bad but if I stink up the house I am in deep doo doo.

I get in trouble when the house gets a smokey smell from fluxing the casting pot in the garage. It is also apparently a big deal to have splashes of lead on the driveway. I think of it as a little bit of flashing to help seal cracks.......

Gear, be lucky I don't have anything around with your addy on it, she might just make a road trip...

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post

Gear
    "The secrets of this earth are not for all men to see,but only for those who will seek them..."- Equality 7-2521 -Anthem by Ayn Rand

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Was I the only one smart enough to not have his spouse join here?

My wife is happy I have " my little playmates" online. Somehow when she says tha it doesn't sound very nice........

I am actually quite lucky. She puts up with a lot and doesn't really say much.