Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Keeping SPG in the grooves

Boolit Master

Keeping SPG in the grooves

I'm just now trying to pan lube some LONG bullets with SPG lube. I'm having trouble keeping the lube in the grooves when I push the bullets out of the cooled pan of lube. I never had this trouble when I used the lube sizer, but the current bullets are too long to fit. I tried having the bullets warm when I pour the lube. Cold seems to work a little better. I tried cooling the tray of bullets to room temperature and I also tried putting the pan in the freezer for 3 minutes after it reached room temperature. Any tips?
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Vendor Sponsor

Add some beeswax to the SPG. Press out cooler than 3 minute freezer.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I use a few % of lanolin. It sticks like cracy to anything.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't push them out but use a caliber specific kake cutter to remove them from the lube. This works better for me than pushig with spg.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I use a few % of lanolin. It sticks like cracy to anything.
    Yup - lanolin too.
    Unless someone is shooting at you and you need to load fast ( ) just put the pan bullets/lube in the refrigerator. You have time.

They will come out with a slight pop feeling when you push them. Slick and full of lube like it was out of a lube/sizer. This is the only way to go when doing tapered bullets.

Then no need for messy and slow cutting them out with caliber specific cake cutters.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I dropped the time in the freezer to 90 seconds then pushed the bullets out from the bottom instead of the top. This forced the bullet through a narrowing hole in the lube, thus exerting pressure on the lube in the grooves (tapered bullet). Worked great.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Vendor Sponsor

Very good. I like your option of trying pushing out from the bottom and having it work! I will have to keep that in mind if I get a tray full of bullets that gives me trouble.
    It just so happens, I am pan lubing six or eight trays right now (this week) for a series of BP Silhouette matches coming up.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I tried cooling the tray of bullets to room temperature and I also tried putting the pan in the freezer for 3 minutes after it reached room temperature. Any tips?
    Yes - all that needed to be done and no other lube compound needed is:
    * Heat the lube in the pan so the noses of the bullets are hot to touch - makes for better adhesion of the lube to the bullet
    * Then just leave the pan of cake in the freezer until the adhesion of the cake separates from the pan. Then knock the cake out - set it on a piece of hard Styrofoam that prevents the cake from breaking or cracking and nose push the bullets out. Room temperate is too soft. Your should hear the bullet 'snap' when pushing it out
    Regards
    John