RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Saeco #058 215 gr 45ACP?

Boolit Bub

Saeco #058 215 gr 45ACP?

I am very new to casting. I would have cast my first batch today if it was not raining.

I was looking thru my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Ed and saw this mold. It looks like a 45 Keith bullet but shortened down to 215 gr. Very big meplat.

Does anyone have experience with this mold? Does it feed well in autos or is it mostly for 45 Auto Rim loads? I am shooting a Kimber Target and a ProCarry, I would want it to feed in both of them.

Thanks,
    HH

Boolit Master
    That's the one they bill as the "Bowling Pin bullet". I have never seem one in the flesh, but it does look good in the drawing. I have a number of SAECO moulds, and think they're first rate, but for some reason they don't get a lot of mention on this or any other forum. If you do get that mould, please post a pic of some boolits from it, and give a report on function. I bet it will function fine, you may have to twiddle with the OAL a bit. Good luck!
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Bub
    I have tried about 150 rounds of 255 Keith in my Kimbers and they all fed fine. I am thinking this should work. It may be my first mold for 45 ACP.

HH

Boolit Bub
    definately let us know if you do end up getting it and how they function. I also saw that in my cast bullet handbook and have been curious myself

Boolit Master

I have that mould ! PM sent
    This bullet has functioned well out of about 8 different 1911s and accuracy is good to at least 50 feet , never tested it at longer ranges
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 03-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I have ordered this mold and plan to have it coverted to a HP. Should drop at about 195 to 200 gr.
    You are where you are today because of the choices YOU made,
    don't blame anyone else.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have several SAECO molds, and I like them, but they are a bit on the dear side for what you get. I have a 4 cavity hollowpoint MP mold that cost me no more than a 4cavity SAECO. RCBS makes better 2 cavities cheaper. Still, there are some molds that only SAECO makes, and sometimes you luck into something you can use.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I have about 6 SAECO molds, and love 'em all. Get 'em hot and the boolits jump out, practically. I'm in on a group buy for an NOE 452 230 gr RF HP that will be to me around November. I can't wait to get that one! I have a Colt Combat Commander that has never had anything done to the feed ramp and I have had no issues with feeding. 90% of my shooting with it--36 years worth, have been SWC type boolits of various weights. My favorite boolit is the SAECO 068 200 gr SWC, in front of Bullseye.
    Last edited by gbrown; 07-24-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I have several Saeco molds, they are as good as H&G'S IMO, Saeco's handles are the nicest of any makers.

Boolit Master
    The Saeco 068 mentioned above was designed so that the edges of the bullet are the same dimension as the 230 grain round nose bullet so it would have the best chance of functioning in all guns. It is also available in 069 (flat base) It is also a very fine mold and the bullets are among the most accurate available. Lyman and Lee have one that is close in configuration but the molds are no where near the quality or price of the Saeco. You definitely get what you pay for. -- Bill --

Boolit Master

The Saeco #68 & 69 are basically the same boolit as the H&G #68. As has been already said, most mould makers have a boolit that's basically a clone of the H&G #68. I've cast them from a Lee mould, and a Mihec group buy mould, and they're both great shooting boolits. Of course as can be expected by the price difference, the boolits from the Mihec mould have a much nicer finish, and look nicer, cast nicer, etc. but when it comes to shooting them, my PT1911 couldn't tell the difference!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    I have four cavity mold of that bullet. It does shoot and function well. As for killing stuff it is great also, but I load 7 of Unique with this bullet and the 230 flat nose from Ballisti Cast, just like Jeff Cooper said.
    Shoots through hogs and even armadillos.

Boolit Buddy

Saeco 058

My Saeco 058 215 gr. casts great and the boolits just fall out.
    It is a very fast 2 cav to make boolits with.

I don't like Bevel Bases so I had Erik Ohlen remove it and he did a great job.
    Erik's work is smoother than the original surface.
    In the closeup you can tell that Redding Saeco moulds are not as finely finished
    as the older Carpenteria moulds used to be.

I have mostly been using this in a 625JM and am very pleased with the accuracy.
    These are cast of range scrap and seated a bit deep for the revolver.
    They work very well in my 1911s too.
    For me, this mould is a keeper.

A 255gr Keith may work in a 1911 but is very heavy and with continued use will
    beat up the slide, a heavy spring might be a good idea if you continue shooting those.

I believe John Browning originally designed the 1911 for a 200 grain bullet
    but the military wanted the 230 grain and they got what they wanted.

Stepping down a bit to 452423 at 238gr which is also a Keith design
    would be better, but still a lot heavier than the 058.

Here is an interesting article from sixguns. com on the use of 452423 in the 1911
    and at the end of the article he addresses the wear and tear issue.

#452423 - I Love You!
    (A Texas Love Story)
    by Charles Graff

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saeco 058 a.jpg   Saeco 058 b.jpg  

Just bought one--awaiting arrival. I have shot the 452423 with the square groove with great success and absolutely love Lee's 230 gr TC traditional grease groove bullet. This Saeco mold has been on my hit list for a long time. I intend to push it at Rowland levels and hunt with it. Looking at it compels me to believe it offers the best of all worlds while hunting with the 45. Wide meplat, leaves considerable powder space, and I appreciate the bevel base. I coat bullets so flame cutting is not a factor. I'll update soon.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Boolit Master

Cool............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek