Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got an Original 1895

Boolit Master

Got an Original 1895

A few weeks ago I went to a gunshow in South Atlanta down by the airport. It was a big one. Saturday there were so many people there I left only to return Sunday. Normally I don't take my checkbook but that day I did as I was in the market for a good .35 Remington. I also almost left when the admit fee was $12. I have never paid that much to get into a gunshow. Anyway, I slowly made my was thru the show. After seeing one poor Winchester Model 71 .348 (which I love and have 3 of) for $3850 I stumbled upon this little jewel. I have never seen one before. I have 2 reproductions in .405 and .30/06 but not in .30 Krag. The price was good and the guy behind me was all over himself to buy it so what did I do? I bought it.

I got it at such a good price I was considering selling it before leaving the show. I made sure it was carried in a position that everyone could see it. There were many people who stopped me to inquire about it before I left. Interestingly, no young bucks even paid it any attention and nobody wanted to pony up even what close to what it was worth. Most people walked right buy a piece of history and didn't even know it- but I did!

It isn't in the best of shape but hey- I got it!

Last edited by Beau Cassidy; 03-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

At one with the gun.

Is this one in 30-40?
    This is a great looking rifle, and one I would not mind having around my place.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

You darn tootin'! The Win 95 30-40 in carbine is one of the jewels of the model! What a nice package. Also, they carry the highest $ premium of the standard Win 95s. Sad that so few even recognized what they were looking at.... but you did

While it appears well worn, if the bore is halfway decent should do fine.

That is really, really a great find! I am glad your so happy!
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

model 95

Model 95's are interesting old guns. Looks like you have one that you can have some fun with. Be careful with the top wood - that piece is a bit tender and hard to find a replacement for.

Boolit Master

I am suspect the top wood has been replaced. It is in a little better condition and a little different grain than the rest of the gun. It looks like somebody put a little varnish on the gun at some point. I don't think anyone has been in gun to monkey with it. I just ordered brass and dies for it. I gotta get my NOE ranch dog mold going to get some bullets cast.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Nice find ! An origonal carbine is on my find list. Check the #īs.. this might be one that went up Kettle Hill and beyond.
    Have a couple rifles in 30 Gov. Check the throat as some are rather on the fat side.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Everything on that carbine looks correct! It most certainly is a carbine rear sight (the 700 top notch is a give away). If the top handguard is a later replacement it would either be a musket or carbine type. There is only 5/32" length difference between the carbine and musket sights. If it's a carbine top handguard the sight would be snug fit into the rectangular cutout. If it is a musket top handguard there would be about 5/32" total end to end clearance in the cutout for the shorter carbine sight. Just a minor point but might help determine the nature of the top handguard.

Boolit Master

Here is the serial number I am not sure what the B means.

This is what I mean when I say the top guard wood may be replacement.

Here are the sights. A few screws are boogered up pretty bad.

At one with the gun.

Moderator Emeritus

What a great find.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

It's a 1915 gun. And, I've seen references to the B stamp. I think either Mathis or Pirkle has made mention of it. I don't think it means a lot other than Madis says it denotes when Winchester used two assembly lines based on increased demand (assembly lines A and B). Makes sense when you look at the high M95 production numbers for 1915 in addition to the huge Russian M95 contract at that time. Matter of fact I may have a couple of old Winchesters with the extra 'A's or 'B's- can't remember. Extra marks on the barrel just in front of the receiver but hidden under the stock can have some meaning- the factory would put specific marks there when they did a barrel replacement. That too would not detract from the gun as it was factory work.

The top guard looks different in a couple of ways- all the photos show it. 1) The finish looks newer and it's not as worn as the bottom, but the bottom was likely sanded and refinished at some time. 2) The color of the stain is different. However both appear to be walnut and original Winchester parts. If that is a later musket top guard replacement it detracts very little from the gun. The end clearance of the sight base cutout is the only way I know to tell visually without precise measurement. A carbine sight will fit snug in a carbine top guard and a little loose in a musket top guard.

Old guns tend to have a few buggered screws as many who worked on them simply didn't have the correct tools, didn't care or didn't know. They are easily replaced and don't detract except in the very highest grade guns.
    Last edited by 405; 03-22-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice. $12 well spent.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

WOW! Congrats on a great find. I shot a reproduction 1895 for the first time last month. It flung a terrible craving on me. I see a 405 winny following me home next winter. Hope that gun is as fun to shoot as it is to look at.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    Very nice. Congratulations on acquiring a very desirable piece of history. Fine looking gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen quite a few '95's at gun shows, but, not one with that configuration with the fore arm etc..VERY Nice!!

Terry

Boolit Master

Thanks for the comments fellas. It looks like I got a lot more than I realized.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    BC:

The AR Bunker in Newnan has a 95 on consignment.
    Standard 30-06.

Tom

Boolit Master
    I have it's older brother. Serial range is 795xx also made in 1915. Mine isn't as nice as yours. Bubba got to it first. But has a nice bore. Also does not have the rear sight. Some fool took it off and stuck a rear sight off a winchester 94. Thanks for sharing. Frank

Howdy Gent's.
    I posted my find on the Lever gun post a few minutes ago. everything except the action, bottom & buttstock wood is new. A Williams peep and new barrel with front sight was added. all was re-parkerized and came to $800. Great for CAS when I put a new tang sight on her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast