Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Elgin gun show...sneaking home a marlin

Elgin gun show...sneaking home a marlin

I have been looking for a Marlin 32-20 for a while now. I was up at the range yesterday trying to solve my 45 feeding problem and met a local guy shooting an old winchester. We visited for a while and i told him i wanted a 32-20 in a Marlin. He just happened to have one. Wanted 1100 for it. I smiled and thought way too much.

He was at the gun show today and it was sitting there. on the table. A 1902 octogon barrel. Some light pitting on the reciever. It was nice. Dangit.

I put a bore light in it and it was not shinny but not pitted either. Actually pretty good. Dangit.

I walked around and saw a micro groove early 80s for 800. Then i saw a 1911 marlin 32-20 for 2300 bucks! Same gun!

Our sherriff captain walked over and i showed him the bore. He growned that 'you better buy that or im going to' sound. I put some money down after that. No sure i got hurt but it should shoot. I will post some pics when i get them.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like you did well, looking forward to the pics. You had an extra rifle case in the car, right?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Better put in an order with Starline for some of their brass. I hope that your 32-20 is as accurate as my Marlin 25-20 and gives you as much fun as I get from mine. Good score!
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Photos

Here it is. It is the one in the middle on the table. I need to get him some more $ before I get my hands on it. The smart arssed kid is a the state cop's boy. (pretty good kid).

I'm wondering about a mold for this one. Do ya think I will need a ranch dog would work? Will i need a gas check mold? I saw ranch dog was pushing those at near 2000 FPS. so I'm wondering about loads also. their loads are for much newer 1894CL rifles. So, I'm thinking this lovely old lady should be treated much gentler. Advice would be appreciated.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Our sherriff captain walked over and i showed him the bore. He growned that 'you better buy that or im going to' sound.

Goes to show it's best not to trust Craig when he mutters like that...........

Larry Gibson

True Larry. he is a gun dealers friend. LMAO. He was genuniely happy for me. (I think).
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Nice score MP

Quote Originally Posted by mpbarry1 View Post
    Here it is. It is the one in the middle on the table. I need to get him some more $ before I get my hands on it. The smart arssed kid is a the state cop's boy. (pretty good kid).

I'm wondering about a mold for this one. Do ya think I will need a ranch dog would work? Will i need a gas check mold? I saw ranch dog was pushing those at near 2000 FPS. so I'm wondering about loads also. their loads are for much newer 1894CL rifles. So, I'm thinking this lovely old lady should be treated much gentler. Advice would be appreciated.
    I would definitely keep the loads on the light side if it's anything like my 1889. I have lots of fun using the 311316 gas checked mould. I got the Ranch Dog later and It is a real beaut also. Don't have my loads on this computer but went with Paco kelly's advice on this class of rifle. I like that .32-20 round.

I am going to the range thursday and shoot up several hundred of those rounds. I 've got thousands of rounds I loaded in California but now I will get a chance to shoot some of them. I got my brass directly from Starline. No difference in price and usually faster delivery. I wouldn't even waste my time on any other brass for the .32-20 after trying the Starline stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    You will not regret a 32-20. Been hauling a 1873 Win 32-20 through the ditches and wood lines for many years popping groundhogs and other varmits. Out to 50 yards they make sweet music. Never have had a much further shot as to the type of hunting I do.
    I like the flat nose about 115 grainers. They make a definate "thawp" on target. Shoulder or head shot on a 35 pound + groundhog with those flat nosers and they will not scamper for a hole. 4.5 grains Unique take care of me just fine. Check your throat diameter and fill that up. My 73 needs a .315+ to shoot well.
    I liked the cartrige so much I turned a 357 DW into a 32-20. Same frame so just needed a cylinder and custom barrel made.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.