RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading the M1.30 Carbine

Boolit Buddy

Smile Reloading the M1.30 Carbine

hi,
    I just started reloaded for a M1 carbine and I'm going to use cast bullets that you buy like Berry's or Mo bullets

do you have any info for me or maybe better cast bullets

that you for any in put

Rick

Boolit Master

I don't like commercial cast bullets so take this with a grain of salt.

Buy a bullet with a relatively blunt point and around 115 to 120 grains.
    I fired a zillion of the 311-008 Lymans in mine.

Do not buy bullets sized .308 or .309. Get .311 if you can.

If you can avoid leading you are going to have more fun than you can imagine.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Le Loup Solitaire

Reloading 30 Carbine

If you intend to do a fair-lot of shooting with your carbine then you would do better to cast and load your own. Buying store ammo is prohibitive cost-wise and buying commercial cast bullets can get pretty expensive as well. Carbine cases/brass is/are quite strong and can be reloaded many times. So rolling your own will pay for any $$ that you invest, in a short time. All major mold manufacturers currently make good designs for carbine type bullets and they work well. Essentially you want/need a 115-120 grain design as described by WM-Waco or a round nose with or w/o a gas check or one that is slightly pointy....all to ensure that good feeding takes place. The short carbine bullet casts easily. You want a diameter after sizing and lubing that is .310-.311 in diameter. I suggest that you do some reading right here on the forum; go to cast pics/articles by members and see what already has been done. There are several specific recommendations for mold choices and powders to use. LLS

Boolit Buddy
    I did get Berry's 110 .308 carbine bullets cast and copper plated
    I was looking to cast bullets and buying 250 for $25 is a good deal
    were can I buy .311 110 RN heads,anyone want to make and sell some to me

I have been reloading for over 30 years I only buy .22 ammo everything other I reload for

Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I've had very good results with MBC carbine bullets and Li'l Gun.

Boolit Master
    I have not had good luck with plain-base cast bullets. I have had very good luck with gas-check cast bullets. I have a few hundred plated cast bullets, but have not tried them yet.

Banned

if you are gonna buy, try some plated ones.

Boolit Buddy
    I have loaded Berry's cast copper plated

Rick

Boolit Buddy
    what primers do you like for the 30 carbine round ???? I have been using Fed SR 200 and Rem primers when I buy what should I get for this I want to get a few Thousand

Rick

Boolit Master
    Small rifle is recommended. I ran out last year when the shortages were at their worst. I used some small pistol magnum primers instead and had no problems at all.

Boolit Buddy
    I made this batch

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I've shot 1,000's and 1,000's od my own cast lead bu;llets from my carbine.

I cast a Lee, 100 gr. 2R Lee's nimber 90301, sized to .310 with 14 grains of 4227 powder. Lube I use is my own mix, this is a flat based bullet. I get absolutely NO LEADING. Plus I've yet to have to take the gas chamber abart to clean. I do use CCI military primers, they have a harder cup so no chance of a slam fire.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    I've shot 1,000's and 1,000's od my own cast lead bu;llets from my carbine.

I cast a Lee, 100 gr. 2R Lee's nimber 90301, sized to .310 with 14 grains of 4227 powder. Lube I use is my own mix, this is a flat based bullet. I get absolutely NO LEADING. Plus I've yet to have to take the gas chamber abart to clean. I do use CCI military primers, they have a harder cup so no chance of a slam fire.
    thanks for the info I think I love Berry's bullets

Boolit Master

Wow. Nice target. I have used the Lee 120 gr GCRN for 30+ years, and get the same accuracy as with factory or GI ammo. Either 14 grs h-110 or 13.1 grs 820.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    I have cast both 311359 and 311410. The 359 one is lighter and uses a gas check and I like it better of the two. The other one is what was originally recommended for the 30 carbine. It weighs with WW around 133gr and is plain base. The 311359 with WW comes in at around 118gr.

Super Moderator

................Years ago I had an Iver Johnson made M1 Carbine and it shot very well with the Lee C309-120-R. I was loading with max book loads of H or IMR4227. Shot those just as well as the jacketed RN's.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I know you buy your projectiles, but maybe some day you'll catch the casting "bug" and become a member of the F.O.B.C. - - - Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters.

About 30 years ago I reloaded for my 1942-dated World War 2 Underwood Typewriter carbine using 92 grain round nose 0.311" diameter .30 Luger projectiles pushed by 12.8 grains Hercules 2400 (now Alliant 2400). That may be a little hot so if you want to try a 90-93 grain projectile start at around 11 grains Alliant 2400 and work up. After 30 years it is getting a bit hazy, but I seem to recall I used a Lyman 311240 mold to cast the boolits.

I now use the 113 grain Lee C309-113-F starting with 11 grains Alliant 2400, with a maximum listed load of 12.5 grains at ~ 40,000 psi c.u.p.

rl 1083
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I have an M1 carbine I built with a (Very briefly available) M1 carbine receiver from Springfield Armory (Geneso, IL) and a surplus parts kit (all GI, all new) I picked up at the gun show. I bought a custom designed mold from here during a group buy. The boolits I cast weigh in right at 118 grains, are plain base and shoot like a house afire in this carbine. The only problem is, my wife loves the gun and tends to take it and keep it the entire time if we go to the range together.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Linstrum View Post
    I know you buy your projectiles, but maybe some day you'll catch the casting "bug" and become a member of the F.O.B.C. - - - Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters.

About 30 years ago I reloaded for my 1942-dated World War 2 Underwood Typewriter carbine using 92 grain round nose 0.311" diameter .30 Luger projectiles pushed by 12.8 grains Hercules 2400 (now Alliant 2400). That may be a little hot so if you want to try a 90-93 grain projectile start at around 11 grains Alliant 2400 and work up. After 30 years it is getting a bit hazy, but I seem to recall I used a Lyman 311240 mold to cast the boolits.

I now use the 113 grain Lee C309-113-F starting with 11 grains Alliant 2400, with a maximum listed load of 12.5 grains at ~ 40,000 psi c.u.p.

rl 1083
    I have a buddy that casts and could make for me thanks for the mold info BUT this Carbine just shot M.O.A. groups at 50 yards with berry's 110gr .308's
    I tried some MB bullets 110gr .309 and they grouped 1.5 inch

I'm hard press to even use the MO bullets now and I have 450 left hehe

but my buddy thinks (the caster) the bore on my gun may not like the bigger 309 bullets with the powder load I had and if the one head would do then M.O.A. then others would too

were can I get custom mold
    you guys don't make for others do you ???? hit...hit...nudge...nudge...

Rick

Rick

Before I found a couple good molds and started casting for my carbine and AMT pistol I used Speer 100gr plinkers, the jacks I shot came a part real well with them.

I used a lot of IMR-4756 and H-110 with the cheapest primers I could find.

I have not loaded any Carbine ammo in years as I bought several cans of surplus stuff cheap cheap some years back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast